Kingdom (2003)

HouseAlexander McQueen
PerfumerJacques Cavallier
Parent Company at launchPinault-Printemps-Redoute > Gucci Group > YSL Beaute

About Kingdom

Kingdom is a feminine perfume by Alexander McQueen. The scent was launched in 2003 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jacques Cavallier

Reviews of Kingdom

One look at the seductive red of the fragrance bottle is enough to understand the depths in which ALEXANDER MCQUEEN appropriate for audacious women. strong blend of oriental component with a light understated musk that is guaranteed drive your man wild.A spicy and sensual perfume with an edge and mystery.Strong,Fascinating,Magnetic,Insolent, Intriguing,Carnal and Seductive.

Fresh top notes blend neroli,mint and bergamot with a rich spicy&floral heart of rhubarb,celery seeds, ginger and rose and warm base by musk and oakmoss speaks clearly of a magic elixir for a bewitching woman who likes a perfume attracts the opposite sex.The scent definitely hits your nose with a bang in the first but totally it is not too heavy,just wonderful.

KINGDOM is a mysterious realm of temptation and intrigue.The bottle is a work of art.It is definitely a sensual and sexy perfume that should probably be worn for Evening and Special events because of it is boldness.Anyway if you are looking for a Sexy and irresistible for Saturday Night who passion is dominant,i would recommend this one.

Longevity?Very Good on my skin.

17th May, 2015
Noraed Show all reviews
It has a spicy, woody and mysterious scent.
It is an oriental-spicy type of perfume.

I bought it merely out of curiosity.
Top notes are strong, but the drydown is a little better.
My husband liked it as a masculine scent.
It is a sophisticated perfume, but not in a good way.
09th October, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

Ah, the fearsome, cumin-drenched, armpit-reeking Kingdom!

So? Where is it?

Years of wearing scents like Muscs Koublaï Khan, Eau d’Hermès, Ungaro II, and Kouros must have left my nostrils very jaded, because Kingdom smells like a pleasantly spicy, sweet oriental scent on a vanilla-sandalwood foundation with a moderate animalic accent. I’m neither shocked nor scandalized, nor would I really expect anyone who’s enjoyed wearing Jicky, Chanel’s Cuir de Russie, Bal à Versailles, or Bandit to be either. It’s just not that far out of the box. What killed Kingdom, I suspect, was that McQueen (bravely) introduced it at a time when the mainstream feminine fragrance axiom was the candy-sweet fruity floral and the commercial men’s fragrance archetype was the ultra-sanitary, “fresh” aquatic scent or fruity fougère. (And make no mistake about it, Kingdom could just as well have been a “masculine” scent as a “feminine,” and is equally wearable for non-squeamish members of either gender.) This would have been popular on the niche market as a slightly heavier and more subdued alternative to Muscs Koublaï Khan. Too bad the general public didn’t have the stomach for it.

19th June, 2014
I pulled out my sample of the discontinued (?) Kingdom edp with the thought that I’d single it out in my general complaint of the misuse of cumin to attempt to recreate animalic notes. When cumin is used to imply animalic notes, it typically doesn’t work, smells fake and makes the perfume seem cheap. I can’t say that Kingdom entirely escapes this trap. My complaint isn’t that the cumin is strong, but that it doesn’t actually recreate the animalic, and therefore, seen simply as a heavy spice note, is imbalanced and out of place. As I revisit Kingdom, I still find that a spurious note sinks the fragrance, but its not the huge cumin topnote. The real culprit is the mushy-musky drydown that seems like a thwarted attempt to emulate sandalwood.

Francis Kurkjian’s Lumière Noire pour Homme made me rethink the use of cumin. It pairs a roasted cumin scent with rose and recreates the feel if not the exact scent of the rose chypres of the 1970s-1980s. Kingdom reads more as an oriental than a nouvelle chypre, but both show that cumin is more effective as a patchouli adjunct than as a castoreum/civet/musk parallel.
30th November, 2012
Colder days are here so I took out Kingdom and wore it today. Years later it still amazes me with its wild mixture of smells, I always find Kingdom a bit unruly and uncivilized (if a perfume can be described this way) and I enjoy it. A strange beauty .

A complete, well-done job from opening to drydown.

12th November, 2011
Am I the only one who thought that a fragrance with the name KINGDOM would be intended for men? Am I the only one for whom this odd assortment of oriental notes ends by smelling like a reduction of redwood oil in the drydown? Honestly, this is one of the strangest creations I've ever sniffed! How do I get a woody-spicy perfume from an assortment of notes NONE of which is wood?

The ever-so-brief citrus opening of KINGDOM holds promise, but what happens next is an inexorable march to a pseudo-wood oil drydown, which becomes clunkier and woodier over time. I've worn this composition a few times, with the same final effect: the woodiest fragrance I've ever worn--yet it contains no wood whatsoever?! If the categorization of perfumes into feminine and masculine makes any sense at all, KINGDOM really is destined for men, it seems to me.

I am not put off, as are some, by what they are identifying as cumin in this composition, for in my case everything blends with everything else: celery seed, oakmoss, rhubarb, mint, carnation--you name it, it appears to be in here--as though mashed together with a mortar and pestle to produce something that is not in here at all! Weird, weird, weird.

Although I do believe that this composition is unique, when I put it on I find myself wondering: 1) when will the wood chips stop flying into my face? 2) can I actually wear this anywhere? 3) wouldn't this be a nice time for a bath?

For the record: this smells *nothing* like DUNE to me.
03rd September, 2011

Add your review of Kingdom

Shop for Kingdom products online

Search Amazon for Kingdom

Member images of Kingdom

There are no member images of Kingdom yet. Why not be the first?