Eau du Ciel (1985)

Based on 58 ratings

Eau du Ciel Fragrance notes

Linden tea, Iris, Brazilian rosewood, Violet leaf

Eau du Ciel information

Eau du Ciel is a women's fragrance by Annick Goutal. The scent was launched in 1985

Reviews of Eau du Ciel

Showing 1 to 6 of 9 reviews.
    positive 6 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative 3 Negative Reviews

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Green Floral

Eau du Ciel is primarily a linden (tillieul) and violet scent to my nose. Like this house’s limited edition Le Chèvrefeuille, it is a weightless, crisp green floral that smells as if it were composed with few if any traditional base notes. The rosewood and musk foundation is oddly transparent, and a delicate hay or narcissus note contributes an engaging “dewy meadow” effect. I especially admire how Eau du Ciel avoids the oppressive, powdery sweetness of so many other violet scents, managing instead to maintain a liquid ebullience through most of its development.

Given this description, you probably know what’s coming: with such effervescent texture and buoyancy, Eau du Ciel has very little staying power. It’s certainly potent enough while it lasts – while it won’t fill the room, it’s easily detected at a couple of feet. A worthy choice when you’re looking for a few drops of floral good cheer.

13 June, 2014

lisa16's avatar

This was not love at first whiff for me. But slowly but surely it has become one of my favorites.

I understand what some reviewers mean by saying it makes them feel like they are 12-- it does remind me of a boxed set of child's colognes I got when I was 7. There is a kind of innocence to it-- it is not a sultry seductive fragrance by any stretch. There is not much sex in the dry down.

What it is though is a beautiful linden scent. Honestly, I do not get the violet as an isolated note. For the longest time, because of the description, I thought it was heliochrysum-- a kind of "hay" scent. But slowly I have come to realize that it is a good quality linden extract. And it is almost a solifleur, if inden is considered a flower. It is sweet, distinctive, light and uncomplicated. And it lasts quite a long time for me, compared with most goutals. I wear it to work and I love it dearly.

If you love linden, give this one a try. You might not know it is in there if you just look at the descripotion, which mentions violet and hay.

I am concerned, however, because it has become hard to find and when you do find it, you have to pay full price to get it because otherwise it is always out of stock. I wonder if they are reformulating it?

26 October, 2011

pansylady's avatar

On me, Eau de Ciel manifests as an orange blossom scent with green, slightly pungent top notes that quickly give way to a soapy sweetness-

This is, by far, one of the more potent Annick Goutal scents- I put on less than half of a ml yesterday afternoon, smelled it all evening, and even picked up hints of it this morning!

Pleasant and appealing, like a walk through a sunny field full of clover and wildflowers!

28 June, 2010

The linden and rosewood form a beautifully complementary accord in the opening of Eau de Ciel. Rosewood (one of my favorite notes but a note that seems tricky to use) is used very nicely in this fragrance. Then the violet comes in and it is strong enough to annoy me, but not so strong that I can’t tell the excellent development that is going on under that annoyance. This is not a violet fragrance: It is a delicately mixed floral with a firm hay note that provides a neutral base to the florals. It is unusual and I appreciate its uniqueness. Besides the violet, I can determine the iris, the neroli, and the orange blossom that, with the hay note and, later, the beeswax, form a light, ethereal and feminine floral. I don’t determine a separate progressed drydown: The florals and hay and barest touch of beeswax remain to the end, staying light and airy. Typical of Annick Goutal fragrances, it doesn’t last very long as a sillage maker, but it stays close to the skin and is quite long lasting that way. I enjoy the quirkiness of Annick Goutal's fragrances, and Eau de Ciel continues the tradition: Even with the violet note, it's a thumbs up fragrance.

18 April, 2009

lookingglass's avatar

I tried this one because I love violet and heard it compared to Apres L'Ondee. On me, it is all neroli (a note a loathe) and soap. Not for my chemistry, I am afraid.

13 September, 2008

kess's avatar

this is a somewhat strange scent -- the best I can describe it is a sweet herbaceous floral. Seems rather simple, "innocent" (i.e. unsophisticated). I feel like I'm 12 when I wear it. Thumbs down for me.

22 July, 2008