Grand Amour (1996)

HouseAnnick Goutal
Parent CompanyAmore Pacific
Parent Company at launchTaittinger > Louvre Groupe

About Grand Amour

Grand Amour is a feminine perfume by Annick Goutal. The scent was launched in 1996

Grand Amour fragrance notes

Reviews of Grand Amour

A lovely floral oriental. Rich combination of hyacinth, lily, honeysuckle, rose, jasmine, myrrh, and Lydia broom. Great for early spring or late fall when you want something with flowers. Deep, dark flowery creation. Timeless.
15th November, 2017
This is a big, bright lily fragrance that dries down to a sweet rose! The base has a faint touch of clean, dry laundry, but it's mostly dominated by floral concentrates. This is something I could appreciate having a full bottle of, similar to the other Goutal fragrances I've tried. The house style suits me.

Update: Eventually, the laundry musks (is that right term?) take over, but they're inoffensive. It's better than lacking longevity, and the florals hold on for a long time - 8 to 10 hours or so - and develop interestingly. As far as synthetic-smelling all-day longevity bases go, I can't recall one better than this.
06th July, 2017

Plenty of flowers in the opening: lily, honeysuckle, and hyacinth at first then rose, jasmine, and to my nose the strongest one – mimosa. I believe that Way Off Center used the perfect word to describe what’s going on here: “cacophony.” This is absolutely NOT a typical Annick Goutal fragrance. It is missing the usual delicate hand. The opening gives me nothing but a glob of “florals” and at this point my spell-check underlines the word “florals” as if even the spell-check knows there’s something wrong with the floral accord. Okay, I have been analyzing the opening by sniffing Grand Amour close to my skin: At a distance from the skin, the fragrance’s projection uncomplicates itself a bit and manages to become a little less confused… At a distance I no longer smell confusion: I smell “ehh.”

I’m relieved a little when the movement begins into the heart notes, but find that this is a false security. The accord seems to morph into a condensed, concentrated form of the opening accord. It isn’t at all transparent in the opening; it now becomes positively opaque… a solid blob of compacted mimosa. And there it stays… seemingly forever…

I own and highly value several Annick Goutal fragrances. Not this one.
07th February, 2016
Time to hear from a guy on this one, I suppose. I had high hopes for Grand Amour after reading various reviews and descriptions, but things never did quite work out.

Grand Amour is sultry, dense, and heady from the very opening, yet somehow unsure of whether it wants to be floral at all, or a rich, dark oriental instead. The complex assemblage of notes never manages to settle down and get itself organized, and the heart seems at once bitter, overbearing, and chaotic. This is a heavy, dark accord, but not something I find at all seductive.

A somewhat bitter rose note eventually rises to the top of this stew, but it’s not enough to tame the cacophony that wells up underneath. I have decided that Grand Amour is not something I'm going to enjoy, though I do admit that it has plenty of strength and character.
15th June, 2014
Grand Amour, is in my opinion, quite distinct when compared to Annick Goutal's other fragrances.

There's something oddly green in this composition. It's pretty and feminine in a different way than what I'm used to. I can sense an abundance of watery lillies, green grass, honeyed leather, sweet mimose and jasmine, and a slightly chemical vanilla. In other words, a very unique green floral.

Well unlike other reviewers, I don't find this fragrance too heavy or too chaotic. I rather like its quirky little characteristics. I'm rather enchanted by its natural Spring-like freshness.

Like Ninfeo Mio, Grand Amour makes me think of a garden, a luscious green one. As it develops further there's a subtle soapiness and a touch of metallic coldness.

In the drydown there are occasional wafts of rich amber and vanilla, however on my skin, Grand Amour remained pretty and green. This fragrance is not really an oriental in my humble opinion. Well, certainly not oriental when compared to Goutal's Les Orientalistes series.

I can't say that this is my favourite fragrance from this beloved house of mine, (Passion still reigns supreme, shortly followed by Heure Exquise), but for what it's worth I haven't managed to dislike an Annick Goutal fragrance yet, (touch wood). Grand Amour just goes on to prove that this is an unstoppable house with such a variety to choose from.
04th April, 2012
This reminds me of Paris, where I first purchased this delicious scent. When I spray it on, I am immediately on the Champs Elysees. It is powdery, flowery and all that I want in a perfume. I just love it. I bought it first around Christmastime, so it reminds me of Christmas too. Memories just too good not to repeat time and time again. It smells good all day, with a little extra squirt in the evenings.
23rd August, 2011

Add your review of Grand Amour

Shop for Grand Amour products online

Shop for Grand Amour at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Grand Amour

Member images of Grand Amour

There are no member images of Grand Amour yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Grand Amour