Moonwind (1971)

HouseAvon

About Moonwind

Moonwind is a feminine perfume by Avon. The scent was launched in 1971

Reviews of Moonwind

Fragrance Notes: Aldehydes, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Lavender, Narcissus, Woody Notes, Green Notes, Vetiver, Oak Moss.

We know that Avon launched Moonwind in 1971, but as with most Avons and chemist shop classics, we do not know the nose behind this fragrance. I recently acquired a very vintage bottle of Moonwind EdC. My impressions follow.

Upon initial application, the fragrance did not seem to have much presence at all, but after roughly five minutes, it began to bloom as it warmed on my skin. My first thought was "ahh, here is that unmistakable Avon DNA once again!" Beyond this immediate impression, I detected a soft greenness with perhaps a whisper of narcissus. It smelt green, fresh, and as it dried down quite soapy not unlike other vintage Avons I have tried. I detected soft aldehydes upon initial application as well, but they quickly dissipated.

Overall, Moonwind is pretty linear, and I would described it as softly green, soapy, and clean with a touch of aldehydes and a whisper of narcissus. I find nothing truly remarkable about Moonwind to set it apart from others of its kind, and at the same time, I find it difficult to believe that anyone could be offended by it. It is definitely both office friendly and unisex. Based on my bottle, I would say it would best shine during the Spring and Summer months.

As I said, my bottle is quite vintage, and the fragrance became a skin scent on me in well under an hour. After three or so hours, I had to press my nose against my arm in order to get a good sniff of it, but it was still undeniable there. Projection and sillage were quite good upon initial application, but they quickly settled down as the heart notes opened.

Moonwind is not a bad fragrance by any stretch of the imagination, and for those who prefer green, clean, fresh fragrances, it certainly should fit the bill. However, I have decided to award it a neutral ONLY because given the number of Avons I have in my collection, it is not one of the ones I believe I would reach for very often, and because I personally need more than green, fresh, clean, and soapy in my fragrances. I can imagine times, however, where just such a fragrance would be perfect for many Spring time and Summer time venues.

Overall impression: softly green; soapy; clean; fresh; office friendly; unisex.

Fragrance: 3/10 (because I do not find anything about it to set it apart from others of its ilk.

Projection: 5.5/10

Sillage: 5.5/10

Longevity: 5/10

05th February, 2017
"Coldish, blueish, windy." Thanks, Notmenoeb, that's a near-perfect description. If I still had some, I'd wear it at Full Moon in cool weather and, yes, perhaps also for a dressy evening out.
25th October, 2012
My encounter with Moonwind was through its fossil (i.e. an old bottle my mother had in the early eighties). The tall dark blue bottle fascinated me. It had a faint smell and I always wanted to try it myself. I finally managed to find two vintage Cologne bottles on ebay and I now have it. The scent does live up to its name - it is coldish, blueish, windy. It is not a sporty fragrance in my view, but an elegant, class one. I would say it is suitable for summer evenings, long walks in the breezy atmosphere right before sunset. If it were available in edp it would be a splendour, unfortunately only the eau de cologne is available. I thought that being an Avon product it were more easily available, but I was wrong. They should relaunch this fragrance and easily eliminate some boring, candy-florals they market nowadays.
14th August, 2011
I agree with distortech. This is a nice unisex fragrance that is sporty and fresh. I have it in the Tropical Parakeet limited edition glass bottle. This was a find on eBay.
16th February, 2010
I love it. An absolute gem of a fragrance. Very unisex for todays standards. NICE!
24th February, 2009

Add your review of Moonwind

Shop for Moonwind products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Moonwind