Rare Gold (1996)

HouseAvon

About Rare Gold

Rare Gold is a feminine perfume by Avon. The scent was launched in 1996

Reviews of Rare Gold

I recently acquired a vintage bottle new in box bottle of Rare Gold, the one with the fan shaped top. Upon first spray, I did not like it very much. It seemed to have the typical Avon DNA that I have never really cared for in the past. However, I persevered and tried it a second, a third, a fourth, and now a fifth time, and each time I wear it, I like it more and more.

The peach note in it is sweet, juicy, and verging on overripeness--the total opposite of the peach note in Mitsouko EdP which is much greener and drier to my nose. The ylang-ylang really compliments the peach and the various white flowers. It smells quite sweet, juicy, creamy, and well, luscious. Might it almost be a tropical? Possibly so.

I do not detect much amber or sandalwood in Rare Gold. I get some sandalwood and vanilla in the deep dry down. I mainly perceive the peach, ylang-ylang, and various white flowers throughout. With four big sprays I get quite decent projection and sillage. Longevity is a very solid 3+ hours on me before it begins to evolve into into a skin scent. If I only use two sprays, I do not get the projection, sillage or longevity I get with four, so I would say Rare Gold is not a parfum that is very easily over sprayed, but more than four good sprays would probably be a bit too much for most.

Rare Gold smells like a bit more expensive parfum than it is. At this price point, if you like these notes, I think you should try it. It is sweet, feminine, and sexy in an innocent sort of way. Think Mary Ann, not Ginger.

Fragrance: 4.5/5
Longevity: 3/5
Sillage: 5/5 for the first two or three hours then 3/5 for another two or three hours.
Projection: 4/5 for the first two or three hours then 3/5 for another two or three hours.

Rare Gold turns into a skin scent on me in about five hours which is not too shabby. I have some much more expensive parfums (looking at you Chanel) that do not perform this well.
17th April, 2016
when I wear this my son tell me that i smell of 'holidays' . It was affordable without smelling cheap or soapy.
19th February, 2014
I've always considered that 'Rare Gold' was one of the most elegant perfumes by Avon. It's pretty heavy and floral - but all in all, it's great.
27th March, 2013
elmsyrup Show all reviews
Horrible drydown. On me this just smells like a smudgy old-ladyish musk/aldehyde. The floral notes disappear quite quickly and I'm left with lots of soapiness and a hint of envelope glue. I didn't get any neroli at all. This perfume has a lot of sillage and it lasts, but that's no good thing. I tried to wash it off, but it just wouldn't quit, and now I've got a headache. Eugh.
11th January, 2013
I agree that this is one of Avon's best fragrances in a long time. It's too complex for me to be much good at analyzing it, but I do detect sandalwood, neroli, and frankincense, plus tuberose or perhaps jasmine/hedione. I read it as dressy, and good for all seasons. It lasts well, too.
05th November, 2011

If gold had a smell then Rare Gold fits that persona
pure luxury in a bottle rich and full; notes of Tuberose
Gardenia Orange Blossoms & Succulent Peach caresses your
your skin like a silk of gold Translucent and sensual
on a gold dust painted bed in a dark cavernous room in
some Arabian Nights parable soft amber flames glows adds
the mystery and Sex of this scent; The Drydown deep and
woodsy first opens with burning Sandalwood adds the fire
Musk and Amber brings the Animalistic side to Rare Gold;
Sex in a Bottle to the T.
04th April, 2011

Add your review of Rare Gold

Shop for Rare Gold products online

Shop for Rare Gold at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Rare Gold

Member images of Rare Gold

There are no member images of Rare Gold yet. Why not be the first?