Rare Gold (1996)

About Rare Gold

Rare Gold is a feminine perfume by Avon. The scent was launched in 1996

Rare Gold fragrance notes

Reviews of Rare Gold

I’ve got an old bottle from the nineties and I must say this smells very modern. Peach, powder and flowers done right this time!
16th October, 2018
I recently acquired a vintage bottle new in box bottle of Rare Gold, the one with the fan shaped top. Upon first spray, I did not like it very much. It seemed to have the typical Avon DNA that I have never really cared for in the past. However, I persevered and tried it a second, a third, a fourth, and now a fifth time, and each time I wear it, I like it more and more.

The peach note in it is sweet, juicy, and verging on overripeness--the total opposite of the peach note in Mitsouko EdP which is much greener and drier to my nose. The ylang-ylang really compliments the peach and the various white flowers. It smells quite sweet, juicy, creamy, and well, luscious. Might it almost be a tropical? Possibly so.

I do not detect much amber or sandalwood in Rare Gold. I get some sandalwood and vanilla in the deep dry down. I mainly perceive the peach, ylang-ylang, and various white flowers throughout. With four big sprays I get quite decent projection and sillage. Longevity is a very solid 3+ hours on me before it begins to evolve into into a skin scent. If I only use two sprays, I do not get the projection, sillage or longevity I get with four, so I would say Rare Gold is not a parfum that is very easily over sprayed, but more than four good sprays would probably be a bit too much for most.

Rare Gold smells like a bit more expensive parfum than it is. At this price point, if you like these notes, I think you should try it. It is sweet, feminine, and sexy in an innocent sort of way. Think Mary Ann, not Ginger.

Fragrance: 4.5/5
Longevity: 3/5
Sillage: 5/5 for the first two or three hours then 3/5 for another two or three hours.
Projection: 4/5 for the first two or three hours then 3/5 for another two or three hours.

Rare Gold turns into a skin scent on me in about five hours which is not too shabby. I have some much more expensive parfums (looking at you Chanel) that do not perform this well.
17th April, 2016
when I wear this my son tell me that i smell of 'holidays' . It was affordable without smelling cheap or soapy.
19th February, 2014
I've always considered that 'Rare Gold' was one of the most elegant perfumes by Avon. It's pretty heavy and floral - but all in all, it's great.
27th March, 2013
elmsyrup Show all reviews
Horrible drydown. On me this just smells like a smudgy old-ladyish musk/aldehyde. The floral notes disappear quite quickly and I'm left with lots of soapiness and a hint of envelope glue. I didn't get any neroli at all. This perfume has a lot of sillage and it lasts, but that's no good thing. I tried to wash it off, but it just wouldn't quit, and now I've got a headache. Eugh.
11th January, 2013
I agree that this is one of Avon's best fragrances in a long time. It's too complex for me to be much good at analyzing it, but I do detect sandalwood, neroli, and frankincense, plus tuberose or perhaps jasmine/hedione. I read it as dressy, and good for all seasons. It lasts well, too.
05th November, 2011

2 Bottles of Avon Rare Gold 1.7fl.oz & Rare Diamonds 1.7fl.oz

$19.99 (0 Bids)
End Date: Wednesday Apr-24-2019 11:07:33 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

(Lot of 2) Avon RARE GOLD Eau De Parfum Spray 1.7 oz *NEW IN BOX* MADE N USA*NOS

$24.99 (0 Bids)

50 RARE AVON FRAGRANCE PERFUME SAMPLES HTF RETIRED SCENTS L@@K RARE GOLD SMILE

$9.90 (1 Bid)
End Date: Wednesday Apr-24-2019 16:21:39 PDT
Bid now | Add to watch list

Avon Travel Collection Rare Diamonds Gold Pearls Eau de Parfum Spray Perfume Kit

$10.00 (0 Bids)

Avon Rare Gold Eau De Parfum Spray 1.7 fl oz. Floral Amber Vanilla Scents

End Date: Wednesday Apr-24-2019 21:02:03 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $20.25

Member images of Rare Gold

There are no member images of Rare Gold yet. Why not be the first?