Imari (1985)

About Imari

Relaunched in 2000

Imari fragrance notes

Reviews of Imari

I'm rating vintage Imari. Nothing overtly sweet about this. It's mostly an aldehydic perfume. There is plenty of galbanum, tuberose, orris root, and a touch of ylang. The aldehydes prevail, even to the bottom. I can smell no base notes. It is greenish-airy to my nose - a touch, a tiny touch, of powder. It reminds me of a Chanel, from back in the day. For me, it's a good grab-and-go fragrance.
07th February, 2018
There is nothing I don't like about Imari.

And that's really all I have to say about it.
24th February, 2015
This is a fine example of one of my favorite things: a nearly all-occasion, truly easy-to-wear fragrance. Its lower range is relaxed and soft without any sloppiness, and its upper end has enough quiet shimmer to make it wearable someplace nice on a date. I've worn it with jeans and a an old, much-loved sweater to the women's prison where I occasionally chair recovery meetings; I've worn it with a little black dress and strappy sandals to the symphony. It always gets compliments.
28th October, 2011 (last edited: 04th November, 2011)
I'm not surprised that Imari is a scent from the 80's. Scents back then were intended to be intense, lasting and rich.

The powdery aldehydes are dominant from the very beginning. However, they are not sharp since the spices and resinous, bitter galbanum balance out the chemical-like quality that aldehydes sometimes portray.

I can't say that Imari is particularly unique seeming that there was a huge trend for aldehydes during the 70's and 80's, therefore there are many fragrances that smell similar. However, there is something truly likable about Imari.

It is true that this fragrance is likely to appeal to the more mature woman, although it must be said that as a young woman in my early 20's, this fragrance could be worn easily by anyone of any age, including myself.

Imari isn't very sweet or flowery, to my nose it is mostly musky, clean, warm and powdery. It is one scent that really should be applied in small quantities, seeming that I made a mistake when I first wore it, of spraying way too much and smelling like a harsh overdose of talcum powder.

Unfortunately the lasting power wasn't very impressive for me, lasting no longer than 3 hours, which was a huge disappointment. I only wish that Avon produced more fragrances that last as well as smell good.

30th June, 2011
Imari is it Ambiguous or Androgymous? everyone has there own interpretation of what the mind preceives of what a scent should be, She is neither Girlish nor Womanly, Imari avoids the sweet naivete of candy notes and airy florals She is a deep and worldy Woman who takes no nonsense nor sugar-coateed Sentiment from no one.

The Scent of Imari opens with the note of Aldehydes dry and musty like dust on old leatherbound book forgotten from age then dries with Irises gives off A metallic smell like freshly carved ivory Piano Keys newly played while the thinly covered dust float slavishly in tune to the music under the beams from a Venetian blinds in the Early Morning light,

Imari dries Warm and Spicy due to the presence of Incense descreert enough not to overpower yet definde to make it's presence known, The incense note is also a thinly Disguised metaphore of Dimly lit
street filled with rustic stores of exotic antiques and old Opium Dens
and a Pagoda that silently hides between the house of vices incense burns quietly thoughout the night with the scent of sandalwood add to the nocturnal side of Imari.

The Note of Musk starts the Finishing of Imari very prominate it seemed to drown out the other notes ie
Vanilla amber and ceder But the Sandalwood holds it's own and adds a fiery woodish twist to Imari The Musk IMHO is my favotite note It has a Mannish quality and make the scent a bit Androgymous almost masculine if you left out the Tuberose A Man can wear can wear this, So what is the question Is it Ambigious or Androgymous My Answer whould Be mostly Androgymous it's Blurs the line of Feminine and Masculine,

My Final verdict This is not a scent for young Girls it's a scent for a confident Independent woman who knows what she wants out of life and aware of her Sexuality and know how to use it.
28th May, 2011
Tony T Show all reviews
burberry for men. very unisex. my girlfriend wore this yesterday and is very identicalas i had burberry years ago. long lasting cold weatehr scent..
11th October, 2010