Le Dix (1947)

HouseBalenciaga
PerfumerFrancis Fabron
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige

About Le Dix

Le Dix is a feminine perfume by Balenciaga. The scent was launched in 1947 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Francis Fabron

Reviews of Le Dix

After over a year of musing over my sealed antique full ounce of Le Dix, I finally gave in and opened it a few nights ago. I am recovering from the swine flu, and realized that my swollen olfactories could not fully appreciate what I would behold. I decided to wait until now so I could devote an entire day to a trial. What an absolute delight! Many of the other complimentary commenters have done justice to the analysis of the notes and how they operate together. It is such a wonderfully crafted masterpiece that it is difficult for me to distinguish any particular notes, leaving me no other option but to focus solely on my emotional response to it. After basically "bathing" myself in Le Dix, I found myself surrounded by a veil of smooth deliciousness. Initially, I felt transported upon a magic carpet through time and space to an early 20th century Mediterranean island, surrounded by lush vegetation, fragrant blooms, and citrus trees. Then suddenly, I was flying over endless rows of perfume fields somewhere in France on a beautiful sunny day, while inhaling the soft mix of all that is divinely floral. Finally, I felt a warm embrace as my feet touched the earth. There I was enveloped by all that is right in my world going back to childhood; sweet spices in the kitchen, something delicious cooking, wood next to the fireplace, the wonderful way it smells when I stick my face into my dog's fur, a day in the saddle, my skin after a long day at the beach, and something very sexy.
On me, (even in the pure parfum) Le Dix is a skin scent. I don't get much sillage, but at this point in my life I do NOT want or need a perfume to announce my arrival. I have already arrived, and want a perfume that compliments and enhances what is already here. Le Dix does that. She just makes it all a bit better, like any good fairy godmother.
I daresay she might be quite nice on men as well.
18th February, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
A peachy, warm, very aldehydic opening beautifully balanced with a gently citric lemon and a fresh bergamot - gorgeous is the opening indeed. A hint of spice - coriander mainly with orris - is added and leads over to a floral drydown of rare beauty, where lily takes the centre stage, with a rich, velvety rose - Bulgarian comes to mind - combining sensationally with a superb jasmine. Around this time a pleasant elegant powderiness emerges that is never dusted or dull, but provides the dance of fragrance notes with a suitable stage to shine.

The base, so often a letdown, keeps up the same stupendous level of quality, with a natural sandalwood balancing beautifully with a fairly light and bright vetiver, a rich slightly musky vanilla, and a truly convincing great Amber note - glorious!

The performance is excellent: I get good sillage, nice projection and over twelve hours of longevity - fading out gently in very discretely powdery ambery-vanilla delight. Very good for my old vintage sample.

A grand classic and a great masterpiece of the house of Balenciaga. 4.25/5

13th August, 2015
Along with Trumper's Ajaccio Violet, this is the outstanding violet soliflore of the perfume world. Created by Francis Fabron and released in 1947, it was the first of Balenciaga's five classic women's scents (Quadrille, La Fuite de Heures, Prelude, Cialenga being the others).

The perfect violet floating on a cloud of soft, powdery orris is the overall impression of this classic scent. Interesting it was created the same year as another orris masterpiece, Fath's Iris Gris.

It shares nine notes with another Fabron classic, Piguet's Baghari, according to Barbara Herman.

This is a sweet, powdery and soft scent. The oil concentration as with all Balenciagas is stunning. The weakest of perfume concentrations, the eau de cologne, is with Le Dix completely present 24 hours after applying.

Top notes: Lemon, Bergamot, Peach, Coriander, Cilantro
Heart notes: Orris, Violet, Rose, Lilac, Ylang, Jasmine, Muguet
Base notes: Civet, Musk, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Benzoin (Vanilla), Amber, Tonka, Balsam, Ambergris

One of the all time greatest scents of the 20th century. Buy vintage only - it predominates on Ebay.
13th October, 2014
My Father gave me a bottle of Le Dix Perfume for my fifteenth birthday, from the MASTER Balenciaga. I fell totally in love with it and have worn it my entire life. I have no idea what MORON discontinued it, I have a hard time finding it.
20th August, 2014
A beautiful perfume: a lovely mix of Chanel No5 and powdery violets. There's not much more I can say about it, but this was a very elegant perfume: I can't believe that it has been discontinued.
05th August, 2014
I am wearing the original parfum today. A sample from the Perfumed Court. I have to say that on me, in 78 degrees, the base notes precede the top notes. Is this unusual in a vintage parfum? The civet and musk act as top notes; the violet does not appear until 10 minutes after applying. Help.
24th March, 2012 (last edited: 06th April, 2012)

Add your review of Le Dix

Shop for Le Dix products online

Search Amazon for Le Dix

Member images of Le Dix

There are no member images of Le Dix yet. Why not be the first?