Jolie Madame (1953)

PerfumerGermaine Cellier
Parent CompanySelective Beauty
Parent Company at launchRevlon Inc

About Jolie Madame

Jolie Madame is a feminine perfume by Pierre Balmain. The scent was launched in 1953 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Germaine Cellier

Reviews of Jolie Madame

**** This review is of the vintage. ****

I am charmed if not smitten by this rather easy-going floral chypre from the '50s. Unlike Patou 1000, the florals are present without overwhelming, the civet modestly applied, blending in beautifully with the chypre's lightly mossy base. Like sun rays filtering through the foliage, there is a radiance that glows from within. Oh, to smell this on a woman!
12th August, 2014
On me the vintage edt goes on with a mix of tuberose and dusky violet over a warm chypre base. Although this is nice, I would not rate it as outstanding in any way.

The base, despite 7 ingredients, is not as strong as my nose would need to balance the florals. Still, even though it is not my personal cup of tea, I can't deny it is unique in my experience - to have sweet florals float over nicely balanced, leathery warmth.

Top notes: Gardenia, Artemesia, Bergamot Coriander, Neroli
Middle notes: Jasmine Tuberose, Rose, Orris, Jonquil
Base notes: Patchouli, Oak Moss, Vetiver, Musk, Castoreum, Leather, Civet
25th March, 2014
This is my first post, so excuse my simple explanation! Jolie Madame is one of my all time loves. On me it smells divine, the newer version that is. I have not been fortunate enough to smell the original, but it is hard to think it could be even better than this. It is sweet yet pungent at the same time and always draws positive comments.
10th December, 2013
I wish I could try the vintage...only have the reformulated which, after a couple of hours, dries down to the astringency of cat pee. the first three hours are great, leather and violets, as promised but -- man! Gotta get home in time!
14th October, 2010
The Opening starts with i can detect
Lily Rose jasmine neroli and it dries
down to the dark underworld of woods and Leather It's like the Greek Legend
Persephone. when she was the maiden Kore and she picked Sweet crisp flowers
Represent the upperworld Until the ground beneath her Opened up And she was snached and aducted By the master
of the Underworld HADES! Represents The Leatherly Aspect of this Perfume
this is what this perfume reminds me of
Persephone's Decent.
16th August, 2010
This used to be amazing - it's still good, but not what it was.

The violet is still quite powerful but the leather/chypre balance is lacking and the whole thing is somehow not quite as interesting as it was. This was the first fragrance that my husband ever bought me so It'll always have a place in my wardrobe but I wish - how I wish - that it would be re-formulated back to something nearer what it was X years ago.

Why does that never happen, by the way? I know it may well be impossible to produce an exact re-creation of a former Great but a good-quality reproduction shouldn't be impossible - come on guys, try harder!

11th August, 2010

Add your review of Jolie Madame

Shop for Jolie Madame products online

Shop for Jolie Madame at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Jolie Madame

Member images of Jolie Madame

There are no member images of Jolie Madame yet. Why not be the first?