Ivoire (original) (1980)

PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanySelective Beauty
Parent Company at launchCobepa Group

About Ivoire (original)

Ivoire (original) is a feminine perfume by Pierre Balmain. The scent was launched in 1980 and the bottle was designed by Pierre Dinand

Ivoire (original) fragrance notes

Reviews of Ivoire (original)

Vintage -

Bitter, clean, aldyhydic, green, floral-spicy. The opening is a blast of bitter green vetiver/oakmoss/soapy aldehydes. The galbanum, oakmoss and aldehyde scent continues throughout the evolution of the scent, though it smooths a bit over time and becomes more floral. The floral heart contains that a touch of that indolic jasmine + rose combo that was in every woman's perfume in the 80's, but the dominant floral notes on me are a slightly spicy white floral that smells of marigold + muguet. Far too soapy and bitter for my modern tastes, though better than some of the chypres from that era.
13th October, 2017
Green (herbal) notes, carnation, and oak moss, from the listed notes, seem to match what I think I'm smelling. This has some overlap with some of my favorites that were also released around 1980.

This one reminds me of a sharp, skin-drying soap, although the smell is sharper, higher-pitched, and stronger than a soap would be.

This develops quite a bit. During the mid, I often thought it smelled better up close than it smelled projecting. The base is woody, just slightly sweet, free of the soapy top, but still retaining the green, herbal notes.
29th August, 2017 (last edited: 30th August, 2017)
An Aldehyde floral. Smells of the 70's. This doesn't stand out amoung others, but it is nice smelling. I'd say it is a night scent, formal. Black dress, clutch purse, and jewelry fragrance.
16th July, 2017
I have a vintage bottle which belonged to my grandmother. I've never worn it as I couldn't get past the BO blast, but either I've lost my sense of smell, or some of the eau de BO has vanished with age. Trying it again after six years, I now get loads of cedar, a touch of tutti fruity, and not much else. Going to try wearing it after all these years and see how it floats. Originally, it smelled like pencil and BO to me. Now it smells mostly like pencil.
19th March, 2015
rbaker Show all reviews
Ivoire vintage:
The herbal opening is mixed with galbanum and bergamot to deliver a clean, green start that is powered by an aldehyde boost. It then turns purely floral, with hyacinth, carnation and lily-of-the-valley dominating on my skin, with an orris impression giving depth. This phase is not bright but a touch somber and pensive. Wood, mainly sandal on me and some moss are added in the base. The three phases develop nicely, with the prime quality of the natural ingredients being very impressive. Good sillage, limited projection and a great longevity of nine hours. A fine scent: 4.5/5
01st December, 2014
Such adjectives and descriptions as clean, fresh, bright, followed by the pine-clean scent of galbanum, and then drying down to a spicy, floral heart (courtesy of Barbara Herman), accurately reflect the journey of this scent, which I assume translates to "Ivory."

Turin gave it four stars and calls it a soapy floral, but it's more than that. Others here describe it as a bitter green chypre and an overly green floral. I don't get those descriptions at all.

It is certainly green, clean and fresh, and settles down nicely to a warm woody amber. It just doesn't impress me as a work of art. Nice, but in no way distinguished or exceptional. The dry down can become cloying, which works against the overall effect.

A scent I would have sent back to the labs with an admonition to make it better.
31st July, 2014

Add your review of Ivoire (original)

Shop for Ivoire (original) products online

Shop for Ivoire (original) at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Ivoire (original)

Member images of Ivoire (original)

Features relating to Ivoire (original)