Balmain de Balmain (1998)
by Pierre Balmain

Balmain de Balmain information

Year of Launch1998
AvailabilityDiscontinued

HousePierre Balmain
Parent CompanySelective Beauty
Parent Company at launchSelecta

About Balmain de Balmain

Balmain de Balmain is a feminine perfume by Pierre Balmain. The scent was launched in 1998

Balmain de Balmain fragrance notes

Reviews of Balmain de Balmain

rbaker Show all reviews
The opening is a classic fougère blast: bergamot and galbanum as the core top notes, fresh, crisp and a touch peppery, but less green in character than, for instance, Montana Homme.

Soon a delightful oakmoss enhances the astringent side a bit more, with a drydown that expresses a floral tendency apt for a fougère - jasmine mainly and some iris, but on my skin the opening notes are still present at an equal strength. In this well-crafted blend of the chypre with the floral lies he attraction of the heart notes, which is enhanced by a touch of a restrained rose in the background.

The base adds some general woodsy untertones, with the tail end of the galbanum impression still present and mixed with an underlying green vetiver layer towards the end.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and six hours of longevity on my skin.

An archetypal chypre, with the bergamot, the galbanum and the oakmoss being of very high quality, balanced in its astringency and not very loud - this is no Gucci Nobile. A very fine fougère. 3.5/5.
11th March, 2017
Had a hankerin' for a green chypre and came across in some forgotten decants. Lovely, and is that an echo of the classic "mousse de saxe" I detect? Soapy and darkly green it is.
17th August, 2014
Genre: Chypre
Once in a great while I’ll put a fragrance on for the first time, and “Bam!” I just know it’s a winner. Then I’ll sit down to review it and find myself at a loss to convey its qualities. Balmain de Balmain is one of those instances. I’ll tell you that it’s marvelous, and I’ll attempt to describe its evolution as I wear it, but I won’t do it any justice.

Balmain de Balmain’s effervescent top notes have all the kick of champagne corks popping. Crystal clear bergamot, bittersweet herbaceous notes, hints of leather, and smoky spices combine in an accord that’s at once rich and stimulating, complex and immediately legible. It’s simply one of the most gratifying opening gambits I’ve smelled. Ever. And it makes me smile every time.

The bergamot inevitably recedes with time, and its place in the composition is taken by floral notes, most noticeably a clear, green jasmine. The spices persist, while a brisk, yet earthy green chypre accord assembles itself in the foundation. As the floral notes and spices fade away, the moss and woods of the chypre core stand exposed in all of their gaunt beauty.

Balmain de Balmain’s structure and progression go beyond classical; as the scent unwraps itself, each layer comes as a delightful surprise, yet each appears in hindsight to be utterly inevitable. Balmain de Balmain transcends gender: it is as completely unsex a fragrance as anything I’ve smelled. As if that were not enough, it’s also dirt cheap and readily available.

Sometimes miracles do happen. I urge you to experience this one!
09th June, 2014
A chypre as it should be

Well, the opening notes remind me of a floral Tiffany for men, while the mid and base notes diverge into manly skinkiness. It was a blind buy: a big surprise indeed, I never would have thought this could be that way. A woman wearing this? I cannot imagine for the sake of me blind-dating a woman wearing BdB. I would think she would be chewing me up in no time. Ladies, do your newly met boys a favor, don't ever wear this in a first date.

Pros: Whatever good you find in chypres in its not so fem version
Cons: If skanky puts you off, avoit it as the plague"

23rd October, 2013
This is definitely a man's chypre. It's my type of chypre and I'm a woman, almost sixty. Yegads! That's spooky. And it is spooky to find this Jean Shrimpton of a perfume on my wrist. (She was famous for lauching the mini skirt, being photographed by David Bailey and being the face of Chanel No 19)
Why are too many perfumes unbearably sweet these days? Distressing.
This is a fougere in the first instance. I had some Morny Fougere scented shower gel and BdeB was perfect to use after my shower in combo.

This is superior to Molinard de Molinard in MHO and like MdeM, is availabel as a mini tester online. I would recommend a test run on this fragrance. Very little patchouli. Do try it with a Little Black Dress or a Little Black Negligee, or jeans and a tee (lashings of mascara and smoky eyes for the girls) Yeah, it is a walk down memory lane but the hedgerows are thick with blossom, moist with rain, and the soft mossy woods are near. Wallking with Pierre, very nice.
30th April, 2013 (last edited: 05th May, 2013)
jujy54 Show all reviews
This seems to be an homage to Germaine Cellier, she of Jolie Madame, Miss Balmain, and Vent Vert, as well as the Piguet icons Fracas and Bandit. To my nose it covers much of the same ground as does Miss Balmain, though not so smoky, a bit more conventional. I love Miss Balmain, and this would be too much of an overlap. Still, if you are a Cellier fan, you can't go wrong with this.
11th April, 2012

Add your review of Balmain de Balmain

Shop for Balmain de Balmain products online

Shop for Balmain de Balmain at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Balmain de Balmain

Member images of Balmain de Balmain

There are no member images of Balmain de Balmain yet. Why not be the first?