Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (original) (1928)
    by Bourjois

Average Rating: 4

Based on 21 ratings

Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (original) information

Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (original) is a women's fragrance by Bourjois. The scent was launched in 1928 and the bottle was designed by Jean Helleu

Reviews of Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (original)

Showing 1 to 6 of 8 reviews.
    positive 8 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative No Negative Reviews

danieq's avatar

I recently discovered a small vial of this that I've owned for 12 years, but since I wasn't into perfumes until recently, I'd ignored the precious scent inside, opting instead to display the lovely blue laydown flacon.

When I discovered it recently I immediately tried a few drops. The very start of the opening was slightly off, but it immediately warmed to my skin, bursting into a creamy, luxurious scent reminiscent of Schocking, but without quite such full on skank. I'd say it's got a hint of that dirty feel too it, but it's softer and more inviting than most of the typical animalics.

The blending is so smooth that I can't immediately pick out individual notes. I believe it's got a bit of civet in it and perhaps honey as well. Lovely and even inexpensive still! Highly recommended.

11th April, 2014

bluemlein's avatar

what i find most surprising is the degree to which this classic scent was devalued in the public mind because it was sold at woolworth's, where, in the 50s, you could get the cobalt laydown with the tasselled cap for one dollar. it became the butt of numerous jokes - in fact, the reformulated version should be stood in a shower with much soap until all the chemical fumes are gone.no wonder there's a brisk trade in the original.

16 May, 2011

elementalscents's avatar

I found an original of the 1950's foaming bath in the classic cobalt bottle at an antique shop on Cape Cod this past weekend. The difference in the original and new fragrance are like night and day. Hard to say how much reformulation had to be done for the foaming bath versus the parfum.

22 April, 2011

BetsyMeszaros's avatar

I just received a bottle of the original Evening in Paris which my mother use to wear. It still smells great to me and it definitely smells like my mother when she got all dressed up. It is a beautiful well rounded fragrance. It just doesn't seem to be lasting very long. I also have the new reformulated version. It is sharp and harsh and nothing like the original. It makes my nose hurt and makes me sneeze something awful after I have it on for a few minutes.

The older version is quite wonderful and I treasure the bottle that I have. I think I will wear it every mother's day.

05 February, 2011

GoldStarMom's avatar

As a small child this was my very favorite scent--my mom used to wear it, and I loved it so much she bought me a child-sized gift set of it, with a tiny bottle that looked like that beautiful, cobalt blue one she had on her dressing table--I can still remember this fragrance vividly, and it's been over 50 years since I last had that opportunity--I wish the new company would take it back to it's original formula, since I'd buy some in a heart beat!--also, I think they should bring back the original style of it's infamous bottle, as well!

09 July, 2010

athenahelen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

I agree with underglass that Soir de Paris stays as fresh as if it's just purchased. I have the original and I really love it. It was a great find and I should go back to the shop and buy up the rest of the bottles they have. I really love it. It is neither too floral nor too green. I love the berry notes.

13 August, 2009

Add your review of Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (original)