Eden (1994)

PerfumerJean Guichard
PackagingAnnegret Beier
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Eden

Eden is a feminine perfume by Cacharel. The scent was launched in 1994 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean Guichard. The bottle was designed by Annegret Beier

Eden fragrance notes

Reviews of Eden

This is not subtle!

It is so many things to so many reviewers, but the one thing it is not is subtle.

Old-fashioned strong and long-lasting (the Lutens type of strength), this is for me a sweet, cold, minty green, fruity floral. That's its problem, it tries to be too many things at once.

It is original. I will give it that. Barbara Herman thought it a "big gourmand oriental." She noted a sour plastic herbal note that for her predominated. I do not find this note, lucky for me.

I put this in the scent type usually referred derogatorily as "old lady," over-powering, sweet, floral onslaught - "you can smell her from the lobby when she's still in her taxi at the curb."

Herman's note file is different from Basenotes:

Top: Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin, Peach, Tarragon, Neroli
Middle: Tuberose, Jasmine, Muguet, Rose, Ylang Ylang, Orris
Base: Cedar, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Musk, Moss, Vanilla, Tonka, Amber

Turin called it "wet cashmere" and gave it 4 stars, typing it as "sweet green."

The thing I like most about it is the minty green coldness of it. It's refreshing on a hot day, but a little bit goes a long way, as you can well imagine.

I can't give it a thumbs up, because it is just too overdone for my tastes, but it is certainly well done for its type of sweet over the top floral melange.
10th July, 2014
Genre: Green Floral

Eden displays an extremely distinctive sweet, spicy, green floral character right from the get-go. Eden expands dramatically as it ages, throwing off a cloud of ever-sweetening sillage for several feet around the wearer. Smooth woods and powder reveal themselves under the sweet florals, and these establish a plush, wooly texture that comes to dominate the entire olfactory experience.

In the succeeding hours Eden’s sweetness and matte finish yield an oddly bland, pudding-like texture that I find tiresome upon exposure – very much like eating too much cookie batter. The first couple of mouthfuls are great fun but by the tenth I’d rather suck a lemon. As the florals drop out Eden’s sweetness takes on a syrupy or dried fruit character and a chemical edge that leave a hollow, artificially flavored candy feel to the powdery drydown.

A day spent with Eden leaves me thinking it loud and unpalatable, yet at the same time oddly insipid. I feel that if a fragrance is going to shout, it might as well shout something interesting, like Fracas, Knize Ten, Black Aoud, or Havana, and not the kind of bland, sugary static that Eden has to offer.
13th June, 2014
A special scent it is for sure... Although sometimes it smells sweet and some other times sour, very confusing. Other people I asked for opinions were just as divided. I think it is clearly a summer scent as the heat brings out the sweeter side as I noticed... I wear it occasionally - but don't always enjoy the duality - between me and myself I call it "the Heisenberg scent" because of the uncertainty... LOL
15th February, 2012
I've worn this scent for years and it still continues to smell really good on me. I always get compliments when I wear it, especially from men. It dries down to a wonderful warm scent on my skin. It's long lasting - just don't spray on too much as it can be quite heady until it settles down.
23rd January, 2012
This is the most horrible scent I have ever tried or owned, and yes I bought it blind as it seems to be sol everywhere. The most charitable description of the smell would be over-ripe pineapple but Eden smells like garbage actually! I wonder what the perfumer was trying to achieve? Obviously I'm too stupid to understand because Luca Turin rated it highly. It's awful.
09th January, 2012
This is a deliberately vintage-potpourri scent and i appreciate conceptually it just for that although may be this one is really too much stuffy also for a lover of "cleverly stuffy" and retro fragrances as me. This tropical fruity-floral chypre in perfect Lutens's style makes in comparison to pale heavy fragrances as Magot Etro and Arabie. The combination of mellow fruits, addled flowers, violet and patchouli is as much pungent, deep and dark that you can't inhale it directly by your wrist just under nose. The exotic fruits smell putrid, the flowers are too indolic (a powerful rose-jasmin-violet combo), the animalic secret notes are utterly brewing and the spices are too sweet. There is a sort of deep bitterness or prickly pungency (cardamor, cinnamon?) in the background  that is deeply retro and smells of stagnant old cologne. Of this sphere of synthetic acidity own the internship some resins of wood, mellow fruits, bitter citrus and claustrophobic flowers. The patchouli is ambery-musky and obscure and i smell the presence of plums and apricots beyond mellow mellon and tropical fruits. The woody vibe is made of musk, moss and resins. May be the fragrance is more complex and articulate in elements respect the listed notes, that's my sensation. The longevity and the projection are nuclear under my nose.
22nd November, 2011 (last edited: 27th March, 2014)

Add your review of Eden

Shop for Eden products online

Shop for Eden at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Eden

Member images of Eden

There are no member images of Eden yet. Why not be the first?