Escape (1991)

Parent Company at launchUnilever

About Escape

Escape is a feminine perfume by Calvin Klein. The scent was launched in 1991

Reviews of Escape

I remember smelling this everywhere when it was first launched, but never owned a bottle myself. I hadn't smelled it in a long time until I was recently sent this sample by a basenotes buddy. The calone note here is much less oceanic than I recalled, & the melon smells more like grapefruit to me. In fact it reminds me strongly of Armani's Acqua di Gioia, only even more synthetic & slightly turned. There's no development whatsoever; the volume is simply turned down after six hours.
I thought I would enjoy smelling this again, but either it has changed, or I have. I suspect it's both.
16th May, 2017
I used to wear this when I was younger. I really liked it and got a lot of compliments on it. People always told me I smelled like watermelon. It reminds me of the way some chewing gums smell. My mom used to wear it too, but it smelled differently on her. It was less melon and more floral I think. Funny how scents are individual that way!
I haven't worn this in a long time, but I remember it well. I'm not a perfume expert, so all I can say is that I loved it then and I like it now. I prefer more "sensual" scents now which probably comes with age!
09th February, 2016
I was looking for a replacement for my favorite discontinued scent, New West. I searched online for similar notes including this site, and got a lot of suggestions. I don't like to wear different perfumes. I like to have a signature scent so that people identify me by one sniff. I love fresh, clean, aquatic, melony types of scents. According to "distinguished" folk, the love for aquatics is similar to a love for synthetic leather. I don't even care! I ordered samples of Issey Miyake something D'Issey, Eternity Summer 2014, Clinique Happy Heart, Clean Skin, Clean Rain (already use), Escape, and True Star. Calvin Klein Escape was the winner, hands down! From beginning to the dry down, it smells absolutely amazing on my skin, clothes, everywhere. I love it, I love it! And it's so inexpensive, that's the best part. Thanks for all the help on this website!
15th March, 2015
Summary: For me, starts nice, but the melon note becomes overpowering after a while and I cannot tolerate it.

Smells nice. A little flowery but not sweet at all. Mainly a fresh flowery scent. The flowery part is very nice, reminds me of wild flowers and wild bushes.

However, there's some note on the fresh side of this fragrance that displeases me. Maybe it is the melon, which does not smell like those sweet, fragrant, melt in your mouth melons, but just as those unpleasant, too-green melons which are a disappointment.

For me, replacing the green melon note with carnation would have been perfect, as I seem to like the other notes together. As it is, I am not sure I can get over the green melon note to enjoy the rest.

Edited to add: The sillage was actually strong enough for the melon note to become overpowering and distracting while programming at work (had applied it on my left arm near the wrist). Had to scrub it twice with hand soap and apply scented lotion to make it disappear. It seems I cannot handle this melon note after all, which is a shame as the rest was very serene and pleasing to me.
01st November, 2014
Escape was the first of the "oceanic" sea scents, based on the molecule, Calone, which imparted an "aqueous melon note," which marketers "convinced the world ...was the scent of the sea" - quotes from Roja Dove.

Turin called it "white floral," (?) and gave it but two stars, but nodded that this was a description of the re-formulation. Barbara Herman calls it an "aquatic, clean and fruity-floral."

This aquatic scent was soon copied into shampoos and detergents for the mass market, thus diminishing the uniqueness of Escape itself.

Top notes: Peach, Melon, Bergamot, Apricot, Mandarin, Apple, Black Currant, Colone, Chamomile, Plum
Heart notes: Rose, Muguet, Orris, Cyclamen, Heliotrope, Ylang, Rosewood, Carnation, Jasmine, Coriander, Clove
Base notes: Cedar, Vanilla, Amber, Musk, Sandalwood, Oakmoss

I found it to be a fruity floral, drying down to a pleasant grassy/reedy scent, reminiscent of Artemesia, but sweeter.

I did not find it to be a distinguished scent by any means.
20th October, 2014
Pleasant and faintly salty peach and plum white floral with a tropical feel, like a Fuzzy Navel or similar mixed drink. Though Listen by Herb Alpert predated this approach by a couple of years (and doubtless was entwined with the creation of the original Kenzo Pour Homme) CK's Escape is really one of the most natural-smelling in the company's arsenal. It suffers from an inevitable lack of excitement but it serves its purpose well - a scent for languishing in the sun on a day off or transporting the wearer to such a place even if they have to work today after all.
14th April, 2014

Add your review of Escape

Shop for Escape products online

Shop for Escape at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Escape