Calypso Marine (2002)

Calypso Marine information

Year of Launch2002

HouseCalypso St Barth [Christiane Celle]

About Calypso Marine

Calypso Marine is a feminine perfume by Calypso St Barth [Christiane Celle]. The scent was launched in 2002

Reviews of Calypso Marine

Thumbs down, -- aquatic painful mess. Based on what I'm experiencing, compared to other reviewers, I'm wondering if what I ordered has gone bad as it was onsale at TPC.

As a female who likes unisex fragrances, I can attest that this is my least favorite marine scent I've tried so far on my exploration of sampling ocean/marine scents. It blasts on with an aggressive harsh synthetic peppery floral mixed with some salt and ozone but the floral and the salty ozone seem disjointed and not blended well. For a good 15 minutes it hurts the back of throat, followed by a headache.

If you are looking for the calm and serenity of beach, this is not it. If you want to gargle with thistles, pepper and synthetic ozone, then this is your beast.

On the positive side, it gets a little bit more tolerable after 20 minutes as the initial harsh beginning fades into the backdrop, and its ocean accord takes center stage. At this point I can totally understand why some men like this as it dries down to a peppery aquatic sports fragrance. But there is still nothing remarkable about it, and it smells cheap and generic. At the 2 hour point it is almost gone. I can not recommend this fragrance.

For a much, much better (slightly fem) marine scent I recommend this: Profumi di Firenze: Brezza di Mare. It's leagues above Calypso's Marine.

And for a realistic salty marine fragrance, I recommend Heeley's very unisex Sel Marin, and Profumum Aqua di Sale over this.
04th April, 2011
This is my best AQUATIC!
* Because the notes are composed to perfection. Nothing gets too sharp, as often happens with aquatic notes/perfumes.
* Because it's a niche perfume, you wont smell it "everywhere".
* Very Good lasting power
26th May, 2010
In the first minutes i feel happy that i have found THE marine scent for me; which is less ozonic more salty; so do not fall into the gap of reminding fresh laundry scents. Bamboo and lotus blended well, not floral at all yes great. But hapiness does not last. In just ten minutes an evil aldehyde develops there to give me headache. and then an indistinct nasty note appears like some urinal and unscented babywipes; smell of a bedriddens room. Well this must be a illusion caused by an headache triggered by aldehydes. (Chanel 5 gives me a headache like hell but never smell babywipes??). O.k i had to wash it off. The remaining was something between johnson baby cologne original one and je reviens and was still able to give me headache. What a sad story for me. If you are a male you are lucky. Go and try CB i hateperfume mr hulot's holiday or eternal return.
03rd November, 2009
I agree it is slightly on the feminine side though I was suggested this by a man. Best marine scent available b/c it smells great and lasts much longer than any other marine scent I've encountered. If Erolfa had this longevity it would probably be my #1. The only thing I'd change would to be make it a little less feminine. Two thumbs up though.
06th February, 2009

For the woman (I find it rather feminine) who desires something very different in the ozonic ocean category: Calypso Marine isn’t the usual neutral, synthetic, pretend ocean fragrance. It is forceful, pretty, and far from neutral; it has, as calchic says, something organic rather than those nasty synthetics about it; and it is an equal or superior match for any of the other marine scents in presenting the smell of a pretend ocean. Since it’s all in the perception, anyway, as far as I’m concerned, I think that we should choose what we want to perceive and make that real. If I were to choose what an ocean smells like, this is what it would be. Before this, my choice of reality was Bulgari’s Aqua pour Homme, but now I’m exchanging the Mediterranean for the Caribbean because, judging from Calypso Marine, the Caribbean is prettier, livelier, and has more parties. Yup. This is where I want to be on the beach, and I’ll likely bump into Strollyourlobster there.

10th October, 2008
One of the more unusual yet easy to wear "ocean" fragrances with an ozonic, almost aldehydic top and a heady floral heart. Although perfect for hot summer days, this is far from being watery. It evokes immediately pictures of a hot, sunny day near the sea, but not at the beach (no reminders suntanning lotion like 'Fire Island'), but on the terrace of a nice resort, sipping cocktails. It shares some similarities with Profumum's 'Acqua di Sale'. Great.
09th September, 2008

Add your review of Calypso Marine

Shop for Calypso Marine products online

Search Amazon for Calypso Marine

Member images of Calypso Marine

There are no member images of Calypso Marine yet. Why not be the first?