Alpona (1939)

PerfumerErnest Daltroff
PackagingFélicie Bergaud
Parent CompanyAles Group

About Alpona

Alpona is a feminine perfume by Caron. The scent was launched in 1939 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Ernest Daltroff. The bottle was designed by Félicie Bergaud

Reviews of Alpona

A most unusual combination of oak moss chypre and citrus candied sweetness. You wouldn't think at first that this could be successfully pulled off, but Caron manages to do so.

Homme de Gres and R&G's Le Jade come to mind as other successful combos of these two qualities of citrus and chypre, the first using lemon and bergamot and the second using lime.

I believe Le Jade pre-dates Alpona, so may have influenced this scent, but the Caron delivers beautifully, irregardless.

Although marketed for women, this is a perfectly fine unisex scent.

Recommended.
10th June, 2015
I found a 2.5 ml vintage vial sample of Alpona in a dusty antiques store. I sniffed it and thought "strange" and put it away for several months. Three days ago I put it on and haven't stopped wearing it since.

Upon first sniff I was put off by the citrus-y blast that was accompanied by oakmoss right out of the gate. An unusual combination, as citrus usually appears at the top of a scent with oakmoss coming more at the bottom, or drydown. However, after wearing it for the past few days, I have become smitten with one of the strangest Carons I've encountered so far. This is not a sweet scent and it's not a transparent cologne-type citrus. Alpona's citrus is more crystalized and opaque, evoking the smell of creamy/doughy lemon cookies, lightly dusted with powdered confectioner's sugar. As it dries down it brings on a wistfulness in me because of the fact that we will never see the likes of this already rare scent again. The scent that comes closest to it is Guerlain's Eau de Guerlain. But E de G is much more transparent and doesn't have that dark, mysterious, trademark Caron base like Alpona does. Each time I smell my wrist, I literally get a pang of melancholy and and almost wish I'd never found this little vial. After all, you can't miss something you've never experienced.

It's a shame that everything in business has be about the bottom line ($$$) and that the vintage beauties many of us crave are being replaced buy the new "molecules" being pushed on the industry by giant firms such as Givaudan, Firmenich, IFF, etc. This isn't about allergens at all, it's about moving product, the cheapest and fastest way possible and Alpona has long been a casualty of that way of thinking.
18th November, 2012
I couldn't get past those men's shower gel associations... what really impresses me here is that it is marketed to women, now that they are all supposed to smell like sweet candy.
10th July, 2011 (last edited: 31st August, 2012)
A beautiful chypre and lighter than I thought it would be. I get a lot of vetiver on my skin with citrussy notes plus orange blossom . It's bright and unisex. Starts off a little bitter and dry and then turns sweeter. Still the vetiver is pretty strong here. I hear this is now discontinued.
28th June, 2010
BayKAT Show all reviews
Up front, Caron is the only house I will buy blind. Alpona is one such purchase. I'll admit that when I first sniffed it my faith wavered, as this has a STRONG smokey opening.

I forgot that Carons always burst forth with a stink. After the 40 minute compulsory wait, I knew I had another hit.

This scent never loses its edge, which is why I"m so enamored with it. I would call it a 'raspy woody chypre garnished with a kiss of citrus'. There's just nothing like it (but vintage Cabochard might be close.)

Longevity and sillage better than average. Certainly could be worn by either sex. I'm not sure of the year of my decant, but this is one I will certainly replace when gone. A Big thumbs up!
31st March, 2010
Definitely bursts on to the scene with a full bodied orage oakmoss note.

I seemed to bypass the middle notes and quite early in the drydown

the musk with its spicyness emerged.

This is indeed androgynous in a edgy way.

I use it anytime.
16th June, 2008

Add your review of Alpona

Shop for Alpona products online

Member images of Alpona

There are no member images of Alpona yet. Why not be the first?