So Pretty (1995)

HouseCartier
PerfumerJean Guichard
PackagingJoel Desgrippes

About So Pretty

So Pretty is a feminine perfume by Cartier. The scent was launched in 1995 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean Guichard. The bottle was designed by Joel Desgrippes

So Pretty fragrance notes

Reviews of So Pretty

Salutation.

What a Glorious Bouquet.SO PRETTY comes in one of those bottles which beckon You to open and try out.It is definitely a refreshing change from the current choices in the Market today. Classified as a Luxurious,Refined, floral fragrance. Ladylike,Chic, Romantic,Sophisticated,Classy, Harmonious and Exciting.

However it opens with an opulent BlAST of Green compositions and Pretty Heavy but quickly It surrounds You with a Sophisticated bouquet of the best flowers as Rose,Jasmine and Orchid are beautifully blended on a Lasting and Lovely base notes as it is a elixir of pure Womanly Romance.

You feel so Confident and Pretty when you wear it and in my opinion SO PRETTY is the best part of Heaven on erath.It is Complements your style if you are a Dude. The best seasons for it is SPRING and then AUTUMN. surely for SPECIAL/ INTIMATE occasions.the bottle is so pretty too.A must try for sure.

Sillage?Remarkable.

Longevity?Very Good on my skin.

7.25/10
16th December, 2014
Genre: Chypre

So Pretty starts out its life on the skin as a soapy, aldehydic green floral with echoes of Ivoire and White Linen. Its starched, chaste muguet, hyacinth and galbanum top notes are intensely “perfumey,” but just when So Pretty convinces you it’s going to be a nostalgic old school scent for prim and proper ladies, the development takes off in an entirely different direction. The rapid advance of a very sweet, bright, fruity rose accord adds warmth and complexity to the floral bouquet, while a blend of resins, woods, and patchouli in the depths rapidly transforms the soapy green floral into a fruity rose chypre.

So Pretty occupies an evolutionary niche halfway between the grand rose chypres of the 1980s – scents like Knowing and Paris – and the newfangled fruity chypre style on display in Badgley Mischka, Chinatown, and the reissued Azzaro Couture. It comes as no surprise that So Pretty was composed by Jean Guichard, whose son Aurélien is the nose behind Azzaro Couture and Chinatown. Part of what separates So Pretty from both classic chypres and its rose chypre predecessors is the character of its fruit accord. Rather than the more traditional bergamot or lactonic peach, So Pretty relies on a vibrant and characteristically “modern” red berry accord that has parallels in scents as far-divorced as Mûre et Musc and Angel. In fact, its sweet berries and patchouli leave So Pretty looking like a rose chypre viewed through an Angel-colored lens.

There are times when So Pretty’s fruit foreshadows the syrupy excess of contemporary adolescent celebrity scents, but its patchouli-seasoned chypre underpinnings and the quality of its rose note elevate it from hard candy to the equivalent of a fine, berry-infused after-dinner drink. Once established, the fruit, rose, and patchouli play out in a steady, linear manner over their chypre foundation. There’s plenty of power, and So Pretty projects conspicuously for several hours before trailing off into a skin scent of creamy sandalwood, soft musk, and mild, sweet resins. So Pretty is interesting as an evolutionary link between older and newer chypre styles, but it’s also a pleasing scent in its own right, and very much worth trying.

Note: Don’t judge So Pretty sprayed on fabric or paper, where its soapy floral top notes remain dominant far longer than on skin, obscuring the warmer, richer rose chypre that supports them.
03rd July, 2014
Most reminiscent of Guerlain's Nahema, more so to my nose than their Mitsouko, this is dead center "rose" with a powdery cassis background. It is no way near what reviews had led me to suspect thus far - an Angel type fruit and floral gourmand.

This is a very soft and subtle take on Nahema and one of the nicest rose scents I've encountered. I don't get its "chypre" claim at all. The sandalwood and musk are very delicately used here, developing depth to the rose in the dry down, but it's still dead center rose for me all the way.

Not a bad thing at all. The only thing I don't care for is the name, which strikes me as trite and inappropriate.
19th February, 2014
I have gone on to reviewing So Pretty shortly after smelling Guerlain's Mitsouko, and interestingly enough I find them both slightly similar.

So Pretty is much fruitier of course, however they are both relatively dry scents with a likable bitterness.

A little heavy, but certainly not unpleasant, So Pretty is actually a fragrance I've been trying to track down for years. Classic scents always intrigue me, and So Pretty has not left me disappointed.

The most dominant notes to my nose tends to be the tarty rose, orchid, peach and blackberry. It has a somewhat feminine richness, that gives this fragrance an elegant and sophisticated vibe.

Despite this fragrance being a little dated these days and also difficult to find, I would encourage many young people to go out and test this fragrance while you still can.

There aren't many fragrances like this still around. Forget the soapy and overly sweetened fruity florals of today, So Pretty re-defines fruits and flowers. With excellent sillage and lasting strength, I highly recommend So Pretty.
22nd March, 2012
So Pretty De Cartier eau de parfum ticks so many boxes for me.
I spent months looking for a classic rose chypre whose perfume notes would include lots of " green" , maybe some citrus, lily of the valley, jasmine, woods and oakmoss. I also wanted something that I felt I could wear throughout the year, for any occassion, work or play......S.P does not disappoint.

On my skin:~
The opening is dry and sparkling~ bergamot, ugli fruit.
Lush roses, vibrant dewberries and wet moss quickly follow, ending with earthy forest berries, pine cones and sandalwood.

Eden in a bottle.
20th April, 2011
This is a straight up, here I am, rose chypre. It has glassy/crystalline presence to it that I attribute to what it is not..not sweet, not fruitocious, not incensy, not artificial. I believe it a Rose de Mai I smell. It reminds me of Andy Tauer's Rose Chypre (his is less conventional and more edgy). I admire it's depth and naturalness...after a few hours I catch beautiful basenotes wafting from it....the sandalwood and musk that has so far been hidden among all the roses. The name doesn't really capture it's spirit. I would have called it "stiletto" (it's a high heeled rose). Great and inexpensively found.
01st November, 2010

Add your review of So Pretty

Shop for So Pretty products online

Shop for So Pretty at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for So Pretty

Member images of So Pretty

There are no member images of So Pretty yet. Why not be the first?