Cuir de Russie Parfum (1924)
by Chanel

Cuir de Russie Parfum information

Year of Launch1924

HouseChanel
PerfumerErnest Beaux
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Cuir de Russie Parfum

The tumultuous events in Russian history offered Mademoiselle Chanel the opportunity to meet the Grand Duke Dimitri, who introduced her to an ingenious perfumer: Ernest Beaux, born and trained in Moscow. In 1927, she worked with him to create Cuir de Russie. Through long musky, smoky notes, it evokes a wild yet elegant world, with its scent of leather boots tanned by birch bark and the essence of Virginia tobacco.

Cuir de Russie Parfum fragrance notes

Reviews of Cuir de Russie Parfum

I do not know what formula my sample is - edp or edt. This is a "light" scent on me. I only smell orange blossom, rose, tobacco, birch, and leather. It doesn't last but, it IS lovely.
15th January, 2018
It smells good, floral leather as it is supposed to. But the performance is poor. It is true that parfum extraits have little projection so I don't mind. However, the longevity is also very poor. The main notes are gone in less than an hour and there is hardly a faint scent trail after a couple of hours on my skin. Sorry Chanel, it's not worth it since there are other similar fragrances available.
26th December, 2017
Note: Review is of the Les Exclusifs EdT

I am not familiar with any vintage version of Chanel's Cuir de Russie, and am familiar with the Les Exclusifs EdT (that's before the line was overhauled). I do not find Cuir de Russie to be much of smoky or leathery. It is aldehydic, soapy, floral (rose and ylang-ylang), and together infused with an accord that alternates between suede and a light leather. I do not detect any spices or musks. The blending is great, and it has the hallmark refinement of good Chanels. However, it is unbelievably weak and wears like a medium strength eau de cologne, becoming soft within two hours and disappearing by the fourth. While Cuir de Russie is fleetingly beautiful, it is none of interesting or edgy.

P.S. Having briefly tried the new EdPs at stores, I find the scent two profiles to be nearly identical. Therefore, it would be an improvement if it is made more substantial / higher concentration.

2.5/5 (neutral)
12th September, 2017
Class in a bottle. The only fragrance I own that is equally sophisticated, elegant, and seductive. I have the vintage parfum and EDT, and the modern extrait. Each is a gorgeous and luxurious rendering of floral leather that captivates me in the same way that the redolent neck of a well-ridden horse does. Warm, living horsehide is my favorite scent in all the natural world, and Cuir de Russie comes a very close second. Perhaps, oddly, this perfume also speaks to me of decadent human intimacy. Someone in a review somewhere said that this is the scent you wear while seducing your next husband. I agree. There is something about the dissonance between the delicate iris and ylang ylang and the smokey leather base that more than hints at a dark sort of animalism.

I never want to be without it. (Especially the VINTAGE parfum which, after wearing it extensively, has definitely become my favorite version. Too bad it is SO hard to find!)
11th September, 2017 (last edited: 16th September, 2017)
I do really enjoy this parfum. I haven't tried the EDT version or the vintage. I love this because it reminds my of my saddle after a thorough conditioning. I love the smell of my horse's sweat mixed with saddle soap. The parfum is a cleaned up version of that smell.
I would wear this out dancing and any other time I want smelll intoxicating while sweating!
27th May, 2017
I have had the good fortune to sample Chanel Cuir de Russie in vintage edt, modern edt, and modern parfum. Each smells of delicious, old-fashioned, feminine leather.

Today I am wearing vintage edt on the left arm and the modern parfum on the right.

I love the vintage edt for having the civet-type smell that I love. I cannot get enough, and this would always be my preference. This is a rough-ish leather that no one could possible confuse for pleather (imitation leather made from polyurethane).

The modern parfum is also a stunner. It smells freshly made, and gives me images of a perfectly crafted smooth surface with a flawless texture. This leather is so smooth and feels so well made, there's a suspicion it could be an innovative pleather, yet it holds up and wears like leather.
02nd March, 2017

Add your review of Cuir de Russie Parfum

Shop for Cuir de Russie Parfum products online

Search for on eBay United States

1/4 Oz. ORIGINAL chanel CUIR de RUSSIE Parfum/Extrait - Vintage - No Box

• USD $26.00 HIGHEST BID
  • Listing Type: Auction – 14 Bid(s)
  • Time Left: 2 days

1/4 Oz. Vintage Chanel CUIR DE RUSSIE Parfum / Extrait - Splash - No Box

• USD $38.00 HIGHEST BID
  • Listing Type: Auction – 9 Bid(s)
  • Time Left: 3 days

CHANEL CUIR DE RUSSIE PARFUM PURE PERFUME 0.5OZ 15ML NEW IN BOX SEALED RARE

• USD $297.18
  • Time Left: 14 days
  • Shipping from: United States

** EXTREMELY RARE CHANEL CUIR DE RUSSIE PURE PARFUM MINI .12 OZ / 3.5 ML NEW! **

• USD $99.99

• Listing Type: Buy it Now
  • Time Left:
  • Shipping from: Taiwan

Member images of Cuir de Russie Parfum

There are no member images of Cuir de Russie Parfum yet. Why not be the first?

Cuir de Russie Parfum News