Cuir de Russie Parfum (1924)
by Chanel

Cuir de Russie Parfum information

Year of Launch1924

HouseChanel
PerfumerErnest Beaux
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Cuir de Russie Parfum

The tumultuous events in Russian history offered Mademoiselle Chanel the opportunity to meet the Grand Duke Dimitri, who introduced her to an ingenious perfumer: Ernest Beaux, born and trained in Moscow. In 1927, she worked with him to create Cuir de Russie. Through long musky, smoky notes, it evokes a wild yet elegant world, with its scent of leather boots tanned by birch bark and the essence of Virginia tobacco.

Reviews of Cuir de Russie Parfum

Butch leather under a bed of freshness that after the initial start shifts into a polished and polite rich leather with a base of the signature Chanel soapy-aldehydes. The jasmine and yang ylang beautifully envelopes the soapy leather giving the perfume a luscious, seductive nuance. It smells high class and rich; very Chanel.
Lately it's getting compared with Dior's Cuir Cannage but to me, the closest to Cuir de Russie is Etro's Gomma; they have a similar soapy leather infused with jasmine.
30th October, 2018
first word that immediately pops into my head is , smooth...started out reminding me of my old Chicago greaser days and throwing a spit shine on my stacies ( I believe otherwise known as Stacy-Adams ) or combat boots...Chicago greasers took pride in how they dressed with some guys I knew in high school having nice collections of what was known as Italian knits ( like some of the ones seen in Wiseguys ), so shoes were always shined up...I can smell the leather and polish , but at the same time, it also gives me this dry feeling...the faintest suggestion of a trace of gasoline...like you really have to concentrate to smell it...I'm definitely getting a classic and an old time vibe to this...it's like you can tell this has been around, but it should stay around...timeless...this smells like something I'd be reaching for when having to make a selection for a suit and tie evening...probably the most elegant leather fragrance I've smelled so far...everything well blended and balanced...to my nose , very light on the birch aspect of leather fragrances and not what I would call animalic in any way...truly an enjoyable experience...
06th August, 2018
I do not know what formula my sample is - edp or edt. This is a "light" scent on me. I only smell orange blossom, rose, tobacco, birch, and leather. It doesn't last but, it IS lovely.
15th January, 2018
It smells good, floral leather as it is supposed to. But the performance is poor. It is true that parfum extraits have little projection so I don't mind. However, the longevity is also very poor. The main notes are gone in less than an hour and there is hardly a faint scent trail after a couple of hours on my skin. Sorry Chanel, it's not worth it since there are other similar fragrances available.
26th December, 2017
Note: Review is of the Les Exclusifs EdT

I am not familiar with any vintage version of Chanel's Cuir de Russie, and am familiar with the Les Exclusifs EdT (that's before the line was overhauled). I do not find Cuir de Russie to be much of smoky or leathery. It is aldehydic, soapy, floral (rose and ylang-ylang), and together infused with an accord that alternates between suede and a light leather. I do not detect any spices or musks. The blending is great, and it has the hallmark refinement of good Chanels. However, it is unbelievably weak and wears like a medium strength eau de cologne, becoming soft within two hours and disappearing by the fourth. While Cuir de Russie is fleetingly beautiful, it is none of interesting or edgy.

P.S. Having briefly tried the new EdPs at stores, I find the scent two profiles to be nearly identical. Therefore, it would be an improvement if it is made more substantial / higher concentration.

2.5/5 (neutral)
12th September, 2017
Class in a bottle. The only fragrance I own that is equally sophisticated, elegant, and seductive. I have the vintage parfum and EDT, and the modern extrait. Each is a gorgeous and luxurious rendering of floral leather that captivates me in the same way that the redolent neck of a well-ridden horse does. Warm, living horsehide is my favorite scent in all the natural world, and Cuir de Russie comes a very close second. Perhaps, oddly, this perfume also speaks to me of decadent human intimacy. Someone in a review somewhere said that this is the scent you wear while seducing your next husband. I agree. There is something about the dissonance between the delicate iris and ylang ylang and the smokey leather base that more than hints at a dark sort of animalism.

I never want to be without it. (Especially the VINTAGE parfum which, after wearing it extensively, has definitely become my favorite version. Too bad it is SO hard to find!)
11th September, 2017 (last edited: 16th September, 2017)

Add your review of Cuir de Russie Parfum

Chanel cuir de russie les exclusifs 30 ml eau de parfum 1 FL OZ extrait rare

End Date: Wednesday Nov-21-2018 9:08:36 PST
Buy It Now for only: $199.90
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

CHANEL LES EXCLUSIFS EAU DE PARFUM 75 ml / 2.5 oz Sealed Perfume. BNIB.

End Date: Wednesday Nov-28-2018 1:43:54 PST
Buy It Now for only: $285.00

Chanel Cuir De Russie Pure Parfum-.5 fl. oz/15 ml-New in box-Sealed

End Date: Wednesday Dec-5-2018 7:01:52 PST
Buy It Now for only: $275.00

Member images of Cuir de Russie Parfum

There are no member images of Cuir de Russie Parfum yet. Why not be the first?

Cuir de Russie Parfum News