Bois des Îles (1926)
    by Chanel

Average Rating: 4.5

Based on 423 ratings

Bois des Îles Fragrance notes

Jasmine, Damask Rose, Ylang-Ylang, Bitter Almond, Gingerbread, Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Bois des Îles information

One of several Chanel scents available exclusively in Chanel boutiques.

Reviews of Bois des Îles

Showing 1 to 6 of 61 reviews.
    positive 57 Positive Reviewsneutral6 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

Others before me have described Bois des Îles in accurate detail, and I see no need to retread that ground. I will say that to my nose Bois des Îles has much in common with its sibling Cuir de Russie, especially the prominent doughy iris root, the animalic civet, and the labdanum-tinged amber drydown. Perhaps I’m deluded, as I haven’t seen the observation made before, but I can’t escape the feeling that the two share some crucial DNA. I’ll even posit that whatever core features Bois des Îles and Cuir de Russie share account for the unparalleled sense of indulgent luxury they both express.

Bois des Îles is simply and without a doubt one of the most compelling wood-centered fragrances I know. I rank it alongside (the vintage) Santal Noble as the finest treatment of sandalwood that I’ve encountered. What more can I add? Only that this is a true classic, one of the few scents that every serious student of perfume must smell at least once in order to appreciate the full scope of olfactory art.

09 June, 2014

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

How do you write about something that turns your knees to jelly every time you smell it? I am a gibbering, drooling idiot in the face of Bois des Iles. Along with Shalimar, it is my one true love. If we are talking honestly about Holy Grail perfumes, the ones you would take to the moon with you if you could only pick two or three, then this is the one that would take a spot without me even hesitating to think about it.

Although the notion of Holy Grail scents is deeply flawed because it implies the search is over once you have identified it/them - and as perfume aficionados we all know that the restless search is never truly at an end because we will always want to smell EVERYTHING - there are a few scents we all come across that we recognize as standing head and shoulders above everything else we have smelled thus far. Like true love, this might happen only once in your life, maybe twice if you are lucky. I think we all know instinctively when this scent comes along - it performs the rare trick of appealing to your head (intellect), your heart (soul), and to your loins (desire) simultaneously. For me, this is that scent.

It smells slightly different to me each time I wear it, because, like the real Mysore sandalwood I smelled as a child, there are many different facets to sandalwood that we can pick up - it is simultaneously milky, woody, creamy, soapy, and rosy. Sometimes I get the aldehydes at the beginning, sometimes I don't get them at all. Sometimes I pick up a brief pop of bergamot at the beginning and other times it goes straight to the rosy, woody heart. When I do pick up on the aldehydes, they present themselves to my nose as a sort of bright coca cola note that is just delightful and downright delicious. This effect must be from the combination of rose and lemon and aldehydes, because I have sensed this effect in another perfume, Incense Rose by Andy Tauer to be exact (although the scents are completely different aside from this one bright coca cola accord). Whatever the cause, the bright lemon-rose coca cola accord is like a handful of bright icing sugar or sherbert sprinkled over the scent, giving it a gently effervescent and most delicious "flavor".

This scent is mostly all about the deep sandalwood heart and base. It is fairly linear. But when a smell is this good, you want it to be linear, because you want to go on smelling it in continuity, for as long as it lasts. I know that the current Exclusifs EDT version does not contain any real sandalwood, so it is an artful, clever composition that relies on the perfumer's skill to present and recreate all the wonderful, shape-shifting aspects of real sandalwood from Mysore, hence the slight varying tones between creaminess, woodiness, sweetness, rosiness, and milkiness. But it all melds together in one warm, delicious wood accord that feels comforting and approachable. Like high art that you can wear as a hug.

I don't want to wither on, but if you think Chanels are stuffy and cool, I urge you to try Bois des Iles. It is the first Chanel I ever tried that had that human warmth that I appreciate in the older Guerlains, and it's the first time I ever thought of a Chanel perfume as being truly sensual. Beautiful, interesting, unique, and deeply soulful, this is one perfume that engages the head-heart-loins axis like no other (barring, perhaps, the great Shalimar).

04 June, 2014 (Last Edited: 13 June, 2014)

Colin Maillard's avatar

One of my favourite Chanel's ever. Simply marvellous! So great and timeless. I enjoyed Luca Turin's review in his Guide, I feel quite the same. Perfect for men too. Won't try to convince you or describe it – just try it, at least once in your life!

18 April, 2014

teardrop's avatar

England England

This is a fragrance of creamy woods, from start to finish. ln the opening l get a slightly "off" note, which may just be the way my nose interprets the aldehydes. After half an hour, though, this note subsides, leaving a sublimely creamy, sweet sandalwood, with just a touch of spice. Any floral notes are extremely subtle here. There is a rather edible, biscuit-like accord in the base, & perhaps a whiff of incense. The whole thing is very soft, but lasts a good ten hours on me.
    l can see why this fragrance gets such high praise around here; it's possibly the loveliest, purest sandalwood l have smelled anywhere. What frustrates me is the lack of any real projection, even when spraying from an atomiser. Perhaps the parfum might satisfy me more, but at the moment l don't have the means to try it.

04 April, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

When you take a look at note breakdown, there are lots of notes in this fragrance but to be honest with you, the scent isn't complicated or complex at all!
    The opening is a semi fresh floral and spicy scent with some sweetness in the background.
    The spices are not that strong and I'm quite sure it's not cinnamon!
    The sweetness is very smooth and almost creamy with touch of white and bright floral notes!
    It's OK and pleasant but there is nothing special about it.
    In the dry down. the spices become weaker and you will get a smooth and light soapy vibe with some florals and some sweetness in the background.
    That's it! the scent will not change on your skin that much and also disappears from skin very quickly!
    Projection is soft and longevity is weak on my skin! I got around 3-4 hours and it's not that great!
    I don't know why people compare this fragrance to "Egoiste" because I can't see any similarities here!
    I had "Chanel Egoiste" for a long time and I know how exactly does it smell like and I'm sure they don't smell the same at all!!
    Chanel Egoiste has a very sharp and strong spicy cinnamon with lots of woods at the start but this one doesn't have cinnamon and woods and it's much weaker against "Egoiste".
    Also the floral note in "Egoiste" clearly is rose which has a masculine aroma, but in this fragrance the floral notes are very light and bright with mostly feminine vibe!
    Also "Egoiste" doesn't smell soapy!
    What's wrong with you guys?!!!!!
    All and all, it's a fragrance right in the middle!
    Nothing really bad about it but nothing too exciting or special about it too!
    You can easily pass this fragrance!

16 February, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

Perfectly balanced floral melange (rose, jasmine, yang yang) with spices (almond, ginger, cinnamon) over a sandalwood, tonka bean and vetiver base.

I agree with those who put this on a higher level than Chanel's Egoiste, as I agreed with the idea behind that scent, but not its execution. It was too cloyingly candy fruit sweet and the sandalwood was too dry and harsh. No balance at all.

Bois des Iles is a perfect achievement - why ever did they even consider Egoiste when they had Bois des Iles already a proven hit?

10th January, 2014

Add your review of Bois des Îles

Search for on eBay United States

* BOIS DES ILES * Chanel MINIATURE eau de toilette Booklet ( NIB )
    • Time Left: 8 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    vintage chanel sealed set..no.5..gardenia..bois des iles.
    • Listing Type: Auction
    • Time Left: 12 days
    Bois Des Iles Eau De Toilette - Chanel
    • Time Left: 24 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    vintage chanel bois des iles perfume
    • Listing Type: Auction
    • 0 Bid(s)
    STARTING BID
    LES EXCLUSIFS DE CHANEL BOIS DES ILES EDT SPRAY 2.5 OZ 75 ML NEW IN BOX SEALED
    • Time Left: 21 days
    Bois des Iles Parfum - Chanel
    • Time Left: 6 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    CHANEL CUIR DE RUSSIE BOIS DES ILES No5 1940s? PARFUM EXTRAIT SET BOTTLES SEALED
    • Time Left: 9 days