No. 19 (1971)

Average Rating: 4

Based on 627 ratings

No. 19 Fragrance Notes

No. 19 information

Named after Chanel's birthday (19th August). A sophisticated scent which was created especially for Coco Chanel to use and to give to friends and favourite clients.

Shop for No. 19 products online

$142.10*
    100ml EdT
    (*converted from GBP 84.95)

Reviews of No. 19

Showing 1 to 6 of 99 reviews.

rbaker's avatar

I get a strong rose-dominated top note with galbanum, bergamot and floral notes, mainly hyacinth and a wtouch of lily-of-the-valley. Later ylang-ylang is added. This top is rich, intensive but not too cloying and well blended. Alas it collapsed on my skin after the first hour, giving way to a scent very close to my skin and has a touch of white musk with cedarwood. Initially good silage and projection with over three hours of longevity. Neutral but might be quite different on someone else. This review is for the most recent EdP version.

30th August, 2014

michailG's avatar

My citrus period is over. I realized that after countless efforts to find a deep hesperidic EdP to satisfy my taste, I had started to appreciate instead the depth of some perfumes labeled as green-woody-balsamic. I loved Charmes & Feuilles by the Different Company, and currently cherish Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens. So I started testing so called green perfumes and No. 19 was so often mentioned that I gave it a go yesterday at my local department store. I was blown away by its character and tenacity. At times I find it a bit too floral for my taste but it is so well made and of such a high quality ingredients that it is no wonder it has lasted the test of time so well. A must-try for perfume lovers.

27 July, 2014

SMF0913's avatar

This is the only "green" fragrance I have ever liked. I think it is just lovely. The drawbacks are it does not last long and for the price it needs to be with me longer than an hour or two. That said, I think it is unique and is by a landslide my favorite Chanel fragrance. Given my preference for oriental/woodsy/stronger fragrances, my favorite should be Coco, but this is my favorite by Chanel.

03 July, 2014 (Last Edited: 07 September, 2014)

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Green Floral

No. 19 starts out with green notes supported by rich, sweet florals and the signature Chanel aldehydes, then quickly begins to brighten. Suggestions of sweet cut grass and frsh hay float around the aldehydic flowers, which in turn coalesce into a bold and well-rendered rose accord.

The sweetened green notes retreat slowly as No. 19 ages on the skin, leaving in their wake the rose note and some crisp woods. (Perhaps sandalwood and cedar?) The rose an woods become progressively drier over time, and after an hour or so on the skin No. 19 reads primarily as a rose-focused scent. By the third hour of wear the rose itself bows out to leave a soft, dry base of vanillic notes and sandalwood. This simple but gratifying drydown fades slowly until after no more than four or five hours on the skin, by which point it is barely perceptible. No. 19's merit lies in its, simple, clear accords and smooth progression, but I really wish it didn't leave in such a hurry.

21st June, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

EDT Review

No. 19 is a strange one... A lot of people label this as a cold, heartless, "ice queen/boardroom bitch", kind of fragrance. I don't get that at all. To me it smells like a bunch of freshly cut morning spring flowers being newly placed in a vase.

I find this to be very soft, slightly powdery, and sensual. I don't find it "unemotional" or whatever. To me I think Chanel Cristalle fulfills all of those previous labels, that is one that I see as more masculine (and one which as a man I happily wear). No. 19 EDT opens a little like the Cristalle EDT does (hyacinch and bergamot) but the galbanum really gives it an amazing quality (warm and sensual). The powdery iris is really beautiful here. It's clean and fresh and sexy at the same time. I do get Oakmoss and Vetiver and I think the earthiness of the Iris (orris root) and the dryness of the Vetiver compliment each other beautifully.

It's true that this fragrance is the opposite of "girly", as it definitely gives off a grown up vibe, but I wouldn't say it's a "cold-hearted bitch" kind of perfume. To me it's quite alive and soft. The kind of person I would see wearing this would be an intellectual, kind hearted young woman, the kind of girl who is really attractive with a sweater and glasses who always has her head in a book, but doesn't know just how beautiful she is kind of thing. Alternatively any woman who wears a suit to work or academic but deep down is still really kind and loving to those around her.

With reference to the unisex quality often attributed to this, I find Chanel Cristalle (also by Henri Robert) more masculine than this, but something like "Dior Homme" (also an iris leathery fragrance) more feminine than this, it being sweeter and more gourmand than No. 19. Coincidentally... I know that my grandfather sometimes wears on occasion so I think it certainly wouldn't be out of place being worn on a man.

As mentioned before, this was Gabrielle Chanel's signature scent. It was originally private and exclusive to her, before being released publicly just before she died. However, that being said... I'm now starting to get a pattern in late Chanel perfumer, Henri Robert's creations: Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) is a green Chypre, No. 19 (1971) is a green floral, and Cristalle (1974) is floral Chypre. All have Citrus notes, all have Oakmoss, and all have Vetiver. But what sets No. 19 apart is the beautiful, sublime Iris note. Powdery, soft, warm and somehow elegantly clean... it undoubtedly makes No. 19 the plushest, most sensual, and most feminine of the trio. It really is a masterfully blended perfume.

I don't see Chanel No. 19 as a cold, "unemotional" fragrance, to me (a man's opinion) it's like meeting a very attractive yet quiet, shy, intellectual type of girl with a kind, warm, loving heart who you just want to cuddle up with on the sofa by the fire. This is just one gorgeously grown-up, well- balanced fragrance!

20th May, 2014

dlane1953's avatar

Fresh, green, unique

A lovely classic beauty Many years ago I wore this and remember it as being fresh, chilly, and green. I've recently received a bottle as a gift, in EDP formulation, and I'm enjoying the rediscovery of this beauty. Curious how our perceptions change over time. After 5 hours' wear, it's very different from my memories. The sharp bitterness of the opening notes put me off at first, but after 15 or 20 minutes, soft floral notes began to appear and the fragrance settled into a more feminine, less assertive version of the #19 I remember. Iris and rose is predominant, with a touch of powderiness appearing now and again. It's both warm and cool, a seemingly difficult balance to achieve, but this formulation pulls it off beautifully. The woody/mossy basenotes are warming in their effect. A touch of leather, nothing dominant, with the florals still playing their part in the development. The greeness seems to be gone; freshness replaced with earthiness. I think this is one of those go-to frags that can be worn in almost any situation. Sillage is average, longevity very good, about 8 hours. A good unisex fragrance.

Pros: sharp, greenish, with floral heart., nice woody drydown
    Cons: None"

20th September, 2013

Add your review of No. 19

Search for on eBay United States

CHANEL No19 Poudre E.D.P 3.4oz /100ml Tester w/ Cap NEW without box!
    • 11 Bid(s)
    CHANEL FRAGRANCE Wardrobe MINI - 3 bottles allure no. 19 Parfum Perfume
    • Listing Type: Auction with Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 3 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Vintage CHANEL No 19 Perfume Eau De Toilette Spray, 1.7 oz /50 ml, New In Box!
    (Shipping from United States)
    CHANEL No 19 Eau De Toilette Spray FOR WOMEN 3.4 Oz / 100 ml NEW ITEM IN BOX !!!
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 29 days
    Chanel No. 19 Eau De Parfum Spray 1.7 fl. oz. Tester Slightly Used
    NIB Sealed CHANEL No. 19 PARFUM 7ml - M
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from Hong Kong)