Chance (2002)

Chance is a women's fragrance by Chanel. The scent was launched in 2002

Shop for Chance products online

$147.21*
    100ml EdP
    (*converted from GBP 88.00)

Reviews of Chance

Showing 1 to 6 of 80 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Floral Oriental

There’s a tendency to lump Chance with the earlier Coco Mademoiselle. After all, they’re both floral orientals, they’re both from Chanel, and both start with the letter “C,” right?

Well, I don’t think they smell all that much alike. Coco Mademoiselle starts out with a crass melon note, while Chance opens on spiced citrtus top notes that would be at home on a woody oriental masculine in the manner of New York or Héritage. Where Coco Mademoiselle remains relatively fruity and shrill, Chance mellows into a more rounded, and admittedly conventional, floral oriental midsection that’s built primarily upon jasmine, orange blossom, vanilla and amber. The trademark Chanel iris root is clearly present, but not overly conspicuous. It contributes a certain smoothness to Chance’s contours, without the powdery, sumptuous texture you’d encounter in Bois des Îles, No. 5, Cuir de Russie, or No. 18.

Chance is a bit leaner and sparer than many other Chanel scents, right down to its uncomplicated white musk, amber, and soft patchouli base notes. Unfortunately, Chance also winds up feeling bland and faceless. It tries so hard to maintain a friendly smile that it flirts with triviality. While the overall composition is pleasant, it’s so bland and nondescript that I’d have trouble picking it out of a lineup of designer floral orientals. I see no reason to choose Chance in lieu of more distinguished floral orientals, from such grandes dames as L’Heure Bleue, Byzance, Parfum Sacré and Boucheron, to cheekier entries like Insolence and Flower by Kenzo. If you need a nice, everyday floral oriental that won’t offend at the office, Guerlain’s L’Instant does a better job than Chance. It’s just as genial, with just a bit more personality.

11th June, 2014

Oviatt's avatar

This is a beautiful, light fragrance that is sure to appeal to a broad audience, which seems to be Chanel's MO these days. Is it groundbreaking in any way? Not at all. THEY didn't take a chance with this one, but they did bestow it with all of the quality and good design that goes into all Chanel products. In smelling this again, it occurs to me that this must have been the inspriation for Estee Lauder's Modern Muse. This is one fragrance that really seems to adapt well to flankers. It is a blank enough canvas that it is what you make of it. Suitable for daughters, wives and nieces who want to smell elegant and--to some extent--anonymous.

15 January, 2014

yrogergmc's avatar

Take a chance on this one.

I love it when a scent takes your mood and mind to a special place. I have several perfumes which do this for me, but Chance is special. It seems to smell different on everyone, depending on chemistry, so definitely try it a few times before you buy it. There is something special about this scent which is not limited to the notes. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but when I wear Chance I always feel a bit magical, as if my life were lifted out of the ordinary. This is more than a nice scent, it is a totemic emblem of what perfume should do for you. I am truly "lucky" to have found this one!

Pros: Smells fantastic on me, lasts well, nice drydown
    Cons: Hard to layer with"

17 August, 2013

TallulahB's avatar

A beloved aunt used to wear Chanel No 5, and after her death I inherited her coat which had been in closet for a few years. It still has the faint scent of her perfume, which I adore. So I went looking for Chanel No 5, and though I wasn't able to find that, I found Chanel Chance. I fell in love with it, and now, when I want to feel feminine and pretty, I give a wee spritz, just enough for me to detect, and not overpowering for others. I have tried other scents over the years, but Chance really connected with me, and stays on my skin in a very subtle way. Makes me remember my aunt, and know that one day, if someone gets a coat from me, they will remember 'my' scent, and smile.

17 October, 2012

DebbiePope54's avatar

I didn't like this when I sampled it, but after wandering around the mall an hour it had changed on me. Smells youthful (which I'm NOT) clean & crisp. A nice summer fragrance, but I wouldn't wear it year round. I don't think it would go with the wool & tweeds of winter.

16 September, 2012

sofababe's avatar

Similar to Mademoiselle, I have both and actually prefer Chance.

Sweet, feminine and slightly lighter and more mature than CM, more suitable for warmer seasons.

I applied at 9am and it was still present (no reapplying) at 7pm when I took a bath. I can still smell it emanating from the laundry hamper, where today's shirt is now. Next time I'll be a little lighter.

Dec

Brand new Chanel Chance Eau De Toilette 3.4 Fl OZ/100 ml
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 15 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    CHANEL CHANCE Eau De Toilette Spray For WOMEN 3.4 Oz / 100 ml NEW ITEM !!!
    • 5 Bid(s)
    Chanel Chance EAU TENDRE EDT Roll-On / Rollerball Sample Perfume 0.07oz/2ml NEW
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 12 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Chance Eau Tendre Chanel.
    • 0 Bid(s)