Madness (2001)

PerfumerChristine Nagel
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchBenckiser > Coty Inc > Lancaster Group

About Madness

Madness is a feminine perfume by Chopard. The scent was launched in 2001 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christine Nagel

Madness fragrance notes

Reviews of Madness

I was excited about this one for the hibiscus note, loving the rich, humid smell of my sugar-sweetened hibiscus tea as it cools down in my favorite porcelain mug. And while I knew there were plenty of detractors, I shrugged it off because some of my very favorites get thumbs down (here and elsewhere).

Sadly, though the hibiscus can't compete with the litchi and pepper. It's not Madness so much as Muchness. For a better litchi and pepper fragrance, see CH's Sexy 212 for Women. For a better treatment of Hibiscus? I'll keep hunting . . .
18th March, 2017
And we illustrate one aspect of madness, hypergraphia (but there's so much to say about this seemingly 'whatever' scent):

Pink pepper is used and abused far too much. But in Madness this trend note that I usually can't stand is used to striking effect. Why? Well, because it's mad, bad, and dangerous to know: not soft and girly pink with some weak spice beneath, not pink pepper strewn on your pasta as a foodie's afterthought...the pink pepper of Madness is bold and gleefully peppery, daring you to sneeze. Madness is aptly named; a little weird and inappropriate but with so little insight into the deviation that it's living its own kind of dream. This is the Madness of a film siren going off the rails; Valley of the Dolls. It's not just the name and concept either, there's something so feminine yet a little dark about Madness, old-fashioned, far more traditionally perfumey than the pyramid or presentation would suggest. If even a well done pink pepper doesn't do it for you, consider waiting out the first thirty minutes. The drydown is earthy rosewood; girl surfers waxing down boards back in the day. The lychee and hibiscus are very novel, and nose Nagel blended them to a modern art kind of abstractness that hints at but doesn't go full theme tropical. Madness isn't quite complex or exciting enough to warrant being a signature scent, but it's a formidable novelty piece. I can't help but think of a Devo hat being worn by Oops-era Britney Spears but all the while at a 1960s cocktail party. In a good way.

In corporeality, in presence and shameless voluptuousness that those who like quiet, polite scents might call "vulgar," Madness recalls Givenchy's Organza. The slightly oldschool but resolutely updated contradiction of Madness is similar to the Galliano edp's pink but not insipid femininity.

The main draw here is that Madness can be found very inexpensively right now. But I wouldn't suggest just blind buying Madness; as other reviewers have said, this is really an acquired taste, and its beauty could be missed if you expect too much or demand instant gratification.

If you like repulsion/attraction scents, plenty of spice, and celebratory femininity that doesn't approach celeb fruity floral hell, try this. You might find this surprisingly well-blended. Honestly, I think this is what celebrity fragrances should and could be, so many celebs love to reference other eras and make a sport of nostalgia, and this scent is an enigmatic but wearable slice of pop. And it's going cheap, and I love it for that.

Longevity: my skin usually kills anything in a few hours, even the notorious everlasting gobstoppers, but this crazy Madness can last twelve hours.
Sillage: the bar tender will smell you across the bar, you won't have to sniff right at your wrist. How refreshingly candid as only a departure from the sane and plain can be. That said, naturally not an office perfume.
Occasion: dancing, concert, party, or just being your fiery bad self at home 'cause this is sort of a comfort scent.
15th September, 2012
At first the exuberance of the fragrance is cloying but this intensely raspberry, musk and floral burst lasts only a short time before... I realise that Blue Coyote perfectly describes the fragrance. Please see previous review. Spray it on someone you love and then embrace that person an hour later to best appreciate the dry down and the qualities of this creation. This has a dynamic reminiscent of YSL's M7. Do not over use as it might cause a head ache.
13th September, 2012
Sharp, Woody and Resinous, on the first spritz I wan't sure what to think. I have never smelled a combination quite like this. Dark fruits and a touch of florals lead, raspberry and pomegranite, I think--they seem overwhealming at first--but be patient, before you sniff the first time, wait for the drydown. Definate woods and resinous base for a long-lasting anchor.

Here is a superb balance between excellent staying power and something different to gain attention. I wear this scent several times a week, most often during the warmer months, and field an average of 1-2 queries a month from women who would like to know what it is and who makes it. I usually write the info down for them if they seem sincere and not just offering polite complements to make conversation. Love the staying power, love the scent. Reminds a little bit of the pomegranite in Bijan night, and the woody-resinous appeal of several classics--after drydown isn't lead by fruits or florals. Another teriffic work that isn't saddled to the celebrity of the month, but will outlast. Compliments to Chopard!
09th January, 2012
Madness represents my childhood in lots of ways. Not in the mad aspect but from the way it smells.

From the first spray on the skin this fragrance was strong and fruity. I sensed strong candied raspberry, even though it is not listed here. I was always one of those strange kids that loved raspberry cordial with only a small amount of water. I hated heavily diluted cordial. Madness is that rich, syrupy red, raspberry flavoured cordial. It smells just like it.

I can understand that for some people this is sickly, but to me this is rich and sweet, the way I like it. Slightly masculine, but feminine and elegant at the same time, Madness can be rather conflicting.

The heart of rose and hibiscus reminds me of my mother's garden before she pulled them out and replaced them with a cactus garden. I used to take the petals and mash them up in a bowl of hot water to make what I called "flower soup" as a child.

The drydown which is mostly fairyfloss, I'm sure is a smell that most people remember as a child. The woodsy notes that compliment the sugary sweet fairyfloss makes me think of a Circus. The smell of sawdust and candy polluting the air.

A strange fragrance it certainly is, but a lovely one at that. For me the experience is entirely personal, but for others you may find other similarities to your childhood and if you don't you may just like Madness simply because of the composition. Either way I recommend.

26th June, 2011
This intoxicating aroma with the blendings of Pink Pepper Brazilian Rosewood rose yummy cotten candy pink litchi and i pick a scent of raspberry
in this perfume. deep sultry it wasn't
what i expected i expected more pungent
like with a cinnamon note but it a has a more deeper more laqcard woodsey
scent i just love the bottle i love
the Deep Red and the shape is a reminisence of a 1980's videogame Design i just love it.
16th August, 2010

Add your review of Madness

Shop for Madness products online

Shop for Madness at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Madness

Member images of Madness

There are no member images of Madness yet. Why not be the first?