Diorling (1963)

PerfumerPaul Vacher
PackagingGuerry Colas
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Diorling

Diorling is a feminine perfume by Christian Dior. The scent was launched in 1963 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Paul Vacher. The bottle was designed by Guerry Colas

Reviews of Diorling

I loved the original Diorling, but the current reissue is a great disappointment. The original was a beautiful leather-chypre fragrance, and always reminded me of a more forceful version of Patou's Caline; where Caline was softer and slightly powdery, Diorling placed more emphasis on the heavy leather notes.

I'd been really looking forward to Diorling being reissued, but, as with Diorella, Dioressence and Eau Fraiche, the formula seems to have been drastically altered. Whereas Diorella and Dioressence are still recognisable, I really don't think Diorling is. Somewhat leathery notes against a patchouli background, with some quite odd, almost sour green notes are what I get from this fragrance now, which is really a great pity in comparison to how the original was.

I bought the reissue without having trying it first, hoping it would not have been changed. Very disappointing, especially as the original was one of my all-time favourites. I certainly would not buy the current formulation again.

The original gets a definite thumbs up, and the reissue a thumbs down, so I guess a neutral is appropriate!
01st April, 2016
Barbara Herman found Diorling to contain:

"Bright florals, and a touch of green, with a mossy leather base. Narcotic florals and leather saddle effect. Leather is Bandit like, then powdery and mossy. Dry down is fruity rich."

Notes: Jasmine, Rose, Oakmoss, Bitter Orange, Nasturtiam, Fruits

For me, this is a bright floral chypre. I don't get a leather reference at all. What I do get is wonderfully old-fashioned, out of the 1940s, and reminds me of Schiaparelli's incomparable Shocking. It's far sweeter than the acrid Bandit to my nose. There is a wonderful burnt sugar effect that is common to this chypre category.

Anachronistic for its time, but wonderfully welcome. Seek out only the vintage formula.
04th August, 2014
I have a vintage bottle of the spray parfum that comes in a fluted bottle with a gold scroll design on the cap--but OMG--one spray on a cotton ball, and into my bra--and it is the loveliest
"new car'' leather you could ever imagine. The reaction is always What are you wearing??
I guess it's new Jaguar or new Cadillac leather-but manages not to come off masculine..they aren't made like this anymore, although I must say I haven't tried Lancome's Cuir yet
03rd September, 2012
Hello Luvah!!! First spritz and yeah, it's old school in a big way with a large barnyard accord. I love this facet of old perfume making. I find the juxtaposition of opposing notes makes everything just a bit "more". Then there's a weird yeasty/floral period, then leather, or rather an interpretation of leather which is also what I find Bandit to be. In my mind, so far, the only fragrances that truly approximate leather for me have been Chanel Cuir de Russie and Dawn Spencer Hurwitz's Black Leather Jacket. Next some lovely florals and indoles, then barnyard, then it starts all over again. And the next day when I put on my housecoat, it was mmmmmm, which one did I put on yesterday and yeah, it was Diorling, still there, still beautiful, still intriguing. Just for info, my husband flipped for this and I have given total nasal fatigue with my "smell this and smell that". I didn't even have to ask, he volunteered, "what is that, wow, THAT I really like" While many may pine for Diorling in its vintage form (as I've stated before that's a road I won't set one toe on), the new version (2012) is very old school, doesn't smell like anything else and I would rebuy. Let's all at least give Dior credit for not abandoning all their old greats. 10 thumbs up. In fact, worth hoarding . . . .
04th August, 2012 (last edited: 09th August, 2012)
Elzéard Show all reviews
I have only tried the current version, and it is effortless to wear. The whole progression from top to base is entirely pleasant.
10th June, 2012
Lucky me - I own the vintage parfum. Absolutely gorgeous!
21st February, 2011

Add your review of Diorling

Shop for Diorling products online

Shop for Diorling at online perfumeries

Diorling (EDT, 100ml)

Search Amazon for Diorling

Member images of Diorling

There are no member images of Diorling yet. Why not be the first?

Perfumes launched in the same year as Diorling (1963)

Features relating to Diorling