Dioressence (1969)
    by Christian Dior

Dioressence Fragrance Notes

Dioressence information

A spicy oriental fragrance.

Shop for Dioressence products online

$108.65*
    100ml EdT
    (*converted from GBP 64.95)
    $128.81*
    100ml EdT
    (*converted from GBP 77.00)

Reviews of Dioressence

Showing 1 to 6 of 23 reviews.

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

I've been sampling the current version, not anything vintage.

It's a wonderful green chypre, which seems to be built on a sweet green leafy note (sort of like Guerlain's signature sweet pea note, but brighter and tinged with shiny verbena), which rides its way through the day over the ever-changing chypre structure, starting with aldehydic citrus and working its way down to a green grassy patchouli and deep moss. There's a slightly vinegary plasticity to Dioressence, which will be familiar to fans of the classics but may turn off new noses.

As for 70's green chypres, Eau de Campagne is still the one to beat IMHO, but I'd happily take Dioressence over No. 19 and many of the other most popular.

17 December, 2013

Rose-Therese's avatar
    Rose-Therese

First bought when working as a sales girls in David Jones Dept store many many years ago when it was intense and extremely special.

Found a tester on Ebay that is a pale reminder but it still evokes the original mystique!

27 March, 2013

LipglossandaBackpack's avatar
    LipglossandaBackpack

Opens green, green, green but settles into something that I can only describe as "milky" vanilla and musk. I don't get dated or "old lady" at all, but rather pastoral youth in a bottle. Since I like smelling like I just came in from milking a cow in six-inch stilettos I'm quite happy with this EdT.

29 January, 2013

Red Theodora's avatar
    Red Theodora

I rarely enjoy dating myself. But, I will say I first was introduced to Dioressence in the 1970's when I was in my early twenties. My mother balked that it was too matronly for a young lady. I found it sophistocated and romantic, and still do!

22 September, 2012

Minkymaid's avatar
    Minkymaid
    England England

Agh! I don't know where this lilac is coming from. Awfully overpowering attack on the senses. I have an immediate vision of a woman in a 50s B movie clawing at her own face.

12 November, 2011

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

Dioressence is green, powdery love. I'm a young woman and I really like this fragrance.

The opening is quite strong and chemical in a sense. Dioressence establishes the earthy greeness in the top notes, which is then followed by intense aldehydes and delicate fruits.

The heart makes way for the introduction of beautiful floral accords, mostly white florals, and sweet yet spicy cinnamon. The combination is almost heavenly.

I curse those that call Dioressence 'old lady'. I've never heard such nonsense in all my life. This may be the most recent re-formulated version, however I don't find this fragrance unpleasant in the slightest. The original may have been better, but the most current version still has avid fans.

The drydown is deliciously soft and somewhat sweet. Vanilla is the highlight here, with the patchouli, vetiver, oakmoss and musk creating an atmosphere behind it all.

The lasting power is wonderfully good, however the sillage is quite soft. I like this aspect, as it makes Dioressence quite mysterious. I often wonder why Dioressence is one of Dior's most overlooked fragrances. It's a pity that releases like the Poison series and Miss Dior Cherie tend to shadow some of Dior's earlier masterpieces.

07 November, 2011