Dioressence (1969)

Average Rating: 4

Based on 150 ratings

Dioressence Fragrance Notes

Dioressence information

A spicy oriental fragrance.

Shop for Dioressence products online

$108.65*
    100ml EdT
    (*converted from GBP 64.95)
    $128.81*
    100ml EdT
    (*converted from GBP 77.00)

Reviews of Dioressence

Showing 1 to 6 of 28 reviews.

Infini's avatar

Wales Wales

Dioressence used to be a lovely fragrance - especially in the Parfum strength. I would think it was definitely influenced by the trend started by Youth Dew and Opium, but it was greener and more delicate than other oriental fragrances of the same era. There were originally three strengths: Parfum, Espirit de Parfum and Eau de Toilette, and some lovely bath products too.

I recently tried the new formulation, and was very disappointed: the overall scent is similar to how it used to be, but after wearing it for a short time, it changes and becomes a rather sickly, sweet, spicy nothingness. (I have found that Eau Fraiche seems to have undergone similar reformulation, though Diorissimo seems the same as it always did. I am currently putting-off trying Diorella and Diorling in case they have suffered similar reformulation).

My thumbs up is for the original formula of this once-glorious perfume. I realise trends in perfume change, just like anything else, but I find it difficult to believe how so many houses (Dior, Givenchy, Guerlain, Patou, and even Caron, to name a few) are all but discontinuing some of their truly great perfumes, only to replace them with throwaway sweet nothings.

17 August, 2014

jtd's avatar

I've seen some discussions online among perfumer writers about the merits and pathologies of vintage perfume collecting.    I'm kinda live and let live on this one.  If it feels good do it.   If you accept that well-kept perfumes can last quite a while, then what's the harm in having a little vintage?  I've had pretty good luck, myself.  I found a bottle of Miss Dior eau de toilette from the late 70s, early 1980s on eBay once. For whatever reason, no one bid on it and I bought it for $8. It was in its original packaging, sealed and in perfect condition.  I have a couple of 1960-1970s bottles of Lanvin Arpčge that I bought for sentimental reasons.  As to be expected, the top notes are faded, but they are all sensational.

But how far will you go for vintage?  Me, not far.  Of course my consolation prize is all of contemporary perfumery, so I’m not panicking.

But sometimes you can't say no, yes?  I just came across a sealed boxed bottle of Dioressence of indeterminate vintage, but probably late 90s early millennium.  Dioressence the Tease, the Trap.  Known to have made the progression from old school, animalic grande dame to complete rubbish.  To believe the stories, the vintage is the Grail, and the later reformulations weren't worth pissing on.

So what vintage had I found?  Fuck if I know, but it's interesting. It's not the monster that I suspect the original formulation was. But is it trash? No, actually. It’s a powdery, sweaty chypre, that's built for human scale.   The topnotes are definitive grandma perfume * and have that come-hither-yet-stand-offishness that only an old-school powdery perfume can convey.  The powder is the key.  Up top it's prim and upright.  By drydown, it folds into a  muskiness, making a tartness that smells like perspiration.  In the end, it's something like the drydown of Chanel Pour Monsieur sprayed on after a long run.  MMmmm...

*  No jibe here, and no irony.  I just value grandma differently, I suppose.  Grandma, who wore all the 'perfumey' 'powdery'  nose-scrunching perfumes back in the day, knew better than we do.  Credit where it's due.  I applaud grandma.

19 June, 2014

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Darn it! Great perfume makes me feel glamorous no matter what I'm looking like. I'm wearing the same t-shirt and camouflage cargo pants I've been working in for the past three days, but I've just spritzed on vintage Dioressence EDT and with the lock of hair that keeps falling over my eye, I feel like some kind of 1950's femme fatale, smelling of dusty, rosey florals and spicy sweetness underlined with a subtle note of skank on this 90 degree + day in Washington, DC. It doesn't get any better than this.

18 June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Oriental

Dioressence opens up with a pungent green floral accord that grows progressively more powdery as it develops. The green notes and powder become seasoning for a "doughy" rose that soon dominates the composition. Because it remains relatively dry and green, the rose in Dioressence is neither heavy nor heady. Instead, it remains quite crisp and relatively bright. Once settled, Dioressence continues for some time on its green and rosy way in a relatively linear manner.

Only after an hour or more do traces of spice and some woody notes emerge in the base. These soften and sweeten the composition while providing some additional complexity. Dioressence is notable for the clarity of its construction, if not for any great longevity or projection. It doesn't really excite me, but it is a very finely tuned, dignified, and understated scent that would work well in a professional setting.

12 June, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

Barbara Herman describes this as a spicy, floral chypre with an initial green note. Heady and intense – for experienced women, glamor, cigarettes and champagne.

Turin describes it as an Orienta l"Green" Chypre – 4 stars

Ingredients as per Ms. Herman:

Orange
    Jasmine, Geranium, Cinnamon, Carnation, Orris, Ylang, Tuberose
    Patchouli, Oakmoss, Vetiver, Vanilla, Musk

My sample was a pre-reformulation edt. I found it a warm, slightly spicy, light chypre – reminiscent of Breathless (Charbert), but with no lasting power - longevity nil. What I got of it was lovely and tres sophisticated, but sadly gone in an instant.

03 June, 2014

rogalal's avatar

I've been sampling the current version, not anything vintage.

It's a wonderful green chypre, which seems to be built on a sweet green leafy note (sort of like Guerlain's signature sweet pea note, but brighter and tinged with shiny verbena), which rides its way through the day over the ever-changing chypre structure, starting with aldehydic citrus and working its way down to a green grassy patchouli and deep moss. There's a slightly vinegary plasticity to Dioressence, which will be familiar to fans of the classics but may turn off new noses.

As for 70's green chypres, Eau de Campagne is still the one to beat IMHO, but I'd happily take Dioressence over No. 19 and many of the other most popular.

17 December, 2013

• Time Left: 29 days
    Vintage Christian Dior Perfume DIORESSENCE .34oz Eau de Toilette in Box
    • Time Left: 2 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Dioressence Vintage TESTER BOTTLE EDT Spray 3.4 Oz. By Christian Dior.
    • Time Left: 20 days