Diorella (1972)

PackagingSerge Mansau
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchMoet Hennessy

About Diorella

Diorella is a feminine perfume by Christian Dior. The scent was launched in 1972 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Edmond Roudnitska. The bottle was designed by Serge Mansau

Reviews of Diorella

Not much else positive to add that hasn't already been stated. A buddy sent me a sample of some vintage juice. I got a nice blast of bright green and slightly sweet notes on top. The middle is rich with flowers and a touch of vetiver. I could really detect carnation. The base is mild with more rose than anything else. It is definitely "70's" in its style.
04th May, 2018
Vintage Diorella EDT 1970's.
Opens with an Adelhydic Citrus, Basil and mild Galbanum, Bergamot twist. Here it is reminiscent of the assault of Jubilation 25. A light Peachiness softens.

The Floral Bouquet in the Heart is so well blended and natural that I only recognize what is a slight Indol of Jasmine, which combines later with the Clove and musk to suggest a mild skank. The watery sweetness of the Cyclamen lightens and brightens. A buttery canvas of Oakmoss billows, dimensionalizes and softens all.
A fine base of Sandalwood, Patchouli and Vetiver strike a light accord as base. Vanilla? Perhaps it is tucked in there, however the whole thing speaks a Masterpiece of Elegant Symphonic Art.
To speak of gender is just rude.
14th June, 2017
A rather minimalist chypre focused on the interplay between a green-tinged bergamot and moss. It's decidedly green, a bit vegetal, and has some funky cumin in it to give it a bit of sweat.

As I'm not a fan of sweaty cumin perfumes, I like it for its greens but don't love it. As an aside, Diorella fanatics should make a point of sniffing Aftelier's Bergamoss, which has a similar green core, but uses an odd but strangely addicting vegetable sparkle instead of the sweaty cumin.
15th December, 2016 (last edited: 09th January, 2017)
One of the few fragrances that make me go weak in the knees. I have a parfum from the 70s that is pure heaven. Grab one if you can.
Perfect for women and men.
09th December, 2016
The current formulation of Diorella may suffer from the same lack of depth as all contemporary chypres (such is life after real oakmoss, and we might as well get used to it), but it still has a lot going for it. It's built like a brick house, it's wearable, and it seems classic rather than dated.

That unmistakeable opening accord of weird sour lemon-lime soda ( Emergen-C packets, really) Is one of the most distinctive I know in perfumery. I also love the play between the notes of citrus and overripe melon and the funky jasmine and bitter carnation, all held in tension against a backdrop of vanilla and musk. This tension between floral and edible gives Diorella its wonderful structure.

Every time I wear Diorella, I smell something new, and I end up furtively sniffing my wrist all day. It's crisp but not forbidding, and these days it seems like nobody wears anything like it. I love this as a warm weather/work/daytime scent, but these classics also always feel dressy enough for evening.

*And* it has just the right amount of sillage--and it lasts.
08th February, 2016
I suppose Diorella is considered one of the paramount achievements of modern perfumery, from what I read. Although not uncommon, here in Asia it proved difficult to find, so I got a bottle when I traveled to Europe.

I like the current edition. A floral chypre, yes, with citrus and somewhat fruity. But much more than this of course. It is long lasting and changes course throughout its development.

It includes a kind of stale odour which can even be described as body odour (BO), and I have pondered that this might be due to an indolic jasmine, but I don't know of course. Thus the fragrance has an interesting combination of 'freshness' and 'staleness'. I actually prefer the current edition since I have also tried the vintage, but found it to be too 'stale'.

In my opinion it is completely unisex, it doesn't smell much feminine to me.
30th July, 2015