Aromatics Elixir (1971)

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 350 ratings

Aromatics Elixir Fragrance Notes

Aromatics Elixir information

Aromatics Elixir is a women's fragrance by Clinique. The scent was launched in 1971

Shop for Aromatics Elixir products online

100ml Perfume
    100ml Perfume
    100ml EdP

Reviews of Aromatics Elixir

Showing 1 to 6 of 92 reviews.

Captain's avatar

On the paper tester this was so strong, I love straight up oakmoss with a passion (Mitsouko and Palomoa Picasso are two of my favs) but this seemed to suck the air out of the room. I had the strip in my office, I had to move it to a room over, then another room over and then finally to the garbage because I just could not get away from it. Then, when it was gone, I missed it, desperately.

I bought it a week later but still couldn't bring myself to test it on my skin. I would occasionally sniff the sprayer and wonder why I bought it lol! It just seemed so strong and not pleasant.

Last night my scent had faded and after days of wearing the lovely and polite Bottega Veneta I was in the mood for something more rawr. After days of rain and now some sun, the air feels moist, green and fresh, felt like AE to me!

One spray dabbed between my inner arms and I found myself surrounded by a soapy, musky oakmoss and herb cloud. On my skin it develops in ways it never did on paper, it doesn't overwhelm. Astringent geranium is indeed the flower here most noticeable but it's a perfectly blended sum of all the parts. 12 hours later it's still there and it didn't get bitter or funky, just a bit more faint. Masterpiece.

10th June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Leather

Truth in advertising: Aromatics Elixir starts out green and floral with a bracing dose of aromatics adding their rasping accent to the principal accord. It grows steadily more floral as it develops, but the green and aromatic notes persist as counterpoint behind the flowers.

The whole composition remains crisp and dry, with a clean yet earthy “outdoors” quality that reminds me of freshly cut hay. A sharp, almost peppery wood and leather accord in the foundation adds depth without threatening the balance with excessive sweetness. Nice stuff, and no wonder that its managed to survive for decades.

09 June, 2014

2nosedtwin's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Clinique - Aromatics Elixer
    This is more like an anti-Elixer that tries to diminish the human vitality, and smells as dry and musty as half-hardened cement out of a cement-mixer, or an old gravel-road on a very hot day with no whiff of wind. This perfume misses refinement, juice and good quality natural materials. It smells strangely old and 'swollen' - like it has been cut open, striped from its vital organs and stuffed full with wadding before being sutured; there is no airiness, and nothing that makes it a bit cheerful. Good stuff to accentuate a bad day at the office or to wear on a funeral - it acts dull, with no living movement in sight. This perfume 'tastes' like a Californian pinot noir-wine instead of one out of Bourgogne - with its unrivaled velvety finesse and roundeur. Let Aromatics Elixer stay where it belongs...

28 May, 2014

MakeupManda's avatar

complex and mysterious

Most amazing and complex unique fragrance, I remember my mom and my gram wearing it, so when I started working for Clinique I new it had to be mine, I first misted it directly on my skin, and it was all wrong, I discovered that if I used the body products it was even more amazing then I remembered, soft and powdery yet rich spicy and floral all at the same time.

Pros: amazing and unique
    Cons: needs to be layered"

08 August, 2013

warmlightsunsea's avatar

The perfume called me

When you can't stay away from a scent, there is often a good reason. The first time I smelled this in a store it stayed in my memory, and I knew I had to come back to it. The second time I knew that we had a connection. I showed it off to my friends, I was so excited about it. I ordered it online a few weeks later. I don't usually buy full bottles of perfume (samples or trial sizes are usually enough to satisfy me), but this was probably my first "full bottle" purchase for myself. It has a richness, depth, and personality that I haven't encountered since. Initially it always smells a little synthetic to me, which is the only thing that makes me hesitate about it, but that soon dissipates and I am left with a warmth and mystery that keeps on giving (and this scent has a LOT of staying power).

Anomie et ivoire wrote in her masterful review (below), "This wondrously notorious elixir is the seductive, independent woman with brains and heart in spades who got burned at the stake by the angry villagers. Witch hunt ... my search is over, though. This one chooses you."

I couldn't agree more.

30th May, 2013

Odal1sque's avatar

If there were an umami of taste, this would have it. Like umami flavours, marmite, blue cheese, and miso, Aromatics Elixir is an acquired taste. Once acquired, it is absolutely addictive. It is a very refreshing change from all the candy sweetness of so many contemporary fragrances.

I first encountered AE in the 1990s during my L'Eau d'Issey years. I really did not get this fragrance then. Now with more life experience under my belt, this is one of my favourites. It somehow feels as though it is good for you, just as any elixir should.

24 February, 2013

• 1 Bid(s)
    • Time Left:
    HIGHEST BID
    (Shipping from United States)
    Clinique Aromatics Elixir Limited Edition Bottle Perfume Spray 3.4 Fl. Oz./100ml
    • Time Left: 6 days
    AROMATICS ELIXIR by Clinique 3.4 oz ( 100 ml ) Perfume SPRAY Women NIB SEALED
    • Time Left: 9 days
    AROMATICS ELIXIR by Clinique 1.5 oz ( 45 ml ) Perfume SPRAY Women NIB SEALED
    • Time Left: 14 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Aromatics Elixir by Clinique Parfum Spray 0.85 oz Women New in Box (sku:1498)
    • Time Left: 4 days