Wrappings (1990)

HouseClinique
PerfumerElie Roger
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Wrappings

Wrappings is a feminine perfume by Clinique. The scent was launched in 1990 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Elie Roger

Wrappings fragrance notes

Reviews of Wrappings

This is based on a vintage, 5 ml spray bottle that doesn't indicate the concentration. First, a blast of pine, then lovely oakmossy greeness. Other subtle things are going on, but it's the oakmoss that stays dominant throughout, on me and that makes me happy. I agree that this evokes Vero Profumo's Mito, as I'm wearing both Wrappings and Mito right now for comparison, but where Wrappings is more on the dry side, Mito seems a tad more spicy and has a kind of champagne-like effervescence. Both are wonderful and are working well together. If you are into scents where the floral aspects are obvious and right out front, that ISN'T Wrappings.
21st October, 2014
Certainly a most unusual scent, indeed. Hard to categorize it.

Green, herbaceous, woody, balsamic - yes. For me, it smells better on fabric than on my body. In fact, it is one of those scents that one can praise for itself, but one I would not praise as a body scent.

In other words, using this as a room freshener or a scented candle would be the preferable mode of dispensation, not as a perfume.

Still, I must give it a thumbs up as I review scent as scent. Worth a try. It certainly is strong and lasts a good while.

One of only two Clinique offerings reviewed by Barbara Herman in her book.

The only other Clinique scent I have experienced is their biggest hit, Happy, which was for me an over the top feminine floral, which was pleasant to experience but not to personally wear.
29th June, 2014
Leontion Show all reviews

The olfactory equivalent of being slapped in the face with a snowy branch: chilly aldehydes and a juicy herbaceous green accord. I don't find Wrappings to be overwhelmingly piney, but the green accord very definitely evokes a dark, wintery forest rather than grassy green meadows. I would describe this as an aldehylic fougere: think White Linen meets Penhaligon's English Fern. It is bracing and very definitely unisex but due to the aldehydes is not as masculine as a traditional fougere.
11th February, 2013
A weird but wearable mix. On me, it's largely coriander, with that characteristic red watery tea smell extended and made quite pretty by rosy flowers. There are also some dark, dry green herbs as a counterpoint, so the whole thing is a push/pull of dark versus pretty. Oh, and all this happens under a rather obvious vinegar note, as well as some sort of plasticky aldehyde that smells kind of like nail polish remover. The base is a fairly standard chypre affair with hints of both pine and sweet rose geranium added to give it a clever continuity.

Honestly, this shouldn't work. But, if I had smelled it blind, I would have assumed it was an early CDG, one of those that smelled weird and plasticky but also quite beautiful and wearable. I can see how this has developed a quiet cult following.
28th January, 2013
From the first time I sniffed Wrappings I knew it was unusual. Much credit is due to Estee Lauder for developing this one.

For those who don't appreciate the similarity, then I suppose some might say it smells like those sprays that are sold at Christmas to simulate the fragrance of a real Christmas tree. They are partially right.

Like many Estee Lauder products, this is a big fragrance. It is deep, it is bold, and it lasts well. It really doesn't evolve much over time, and I guess that's OK.

To me it smells very much like Balsam Fir (Christmas trees), plus frankincense, rosemary and lavender. Those are some good smells, and they certainly compliment each other very well. And there's much more in the background, too... and that's why the comparison to holiday room spray is apt, but ultimately inadequate.

Wrappings ia a great fragrance, and perfectly unisex.

18th March, 2012
I stumbled on this yesterday at an outlet store that carries Estee Lauder and Clinique exclusively.

I wandered back to the Aromatics Elixir, which I love and there was this odd little green box: a gift set of Wrappings with perfume and body cream. I spritzed the tester and almost fell over.

Herbal, lovely, a bit odd. I get the different accords here and find it almost like standing outside near an herb garden, beside a rolling green river, with cool air from the mountain blowing in. It is all in there.

This to me is not a simple scent, but complex and divine. I am a bit worried about the drydown, but will see how that works out when I give it a real try later this week.
17th March, 2012

Add your review of Wrappings

Shop for Wrappings products online

Search Amazon for Wrappings

Member images of Wrappings

There are no member images of Wrappings yet. Why not be the first?