L'Aimant (1927)

PerfumerVincent Roubert
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Beauty
Parent Company at launchCoty Inc

About L'Aimant

L'Aimant is a feminine perfume by Coty. The scent was launched in 1927 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Vincent Roubert and François Coty

Reviews of L'Aimant

I bought a bottle (very inexpensive) from ebay when I saw someone say it smelled like Bal à Versailles. I'm sniffing vintage EdCs of both. Though they're quite similar, the Laimant is lighter and more chypreish, whereas the BaV is more lushly oriental and hypnotic with much more projection. The Coty smells like it has soapiness. The BaV doesn't. Both are good, but I ADORE BaV.
12th December, 2013
This was one of the 'posh' scents of my youth, 50 years or so ago. Posh because it was a cut above the stuff you bought in Woolies (Woolworth's) - you had to go to Boots' to buy this! We used to save up our Saturday money to buy it when we were about sixteen.

To me it cries out 'carnation' but it is a lovely,spicy, flowery scent. I recently acquired a vintage bottle and I was surprised at how sophisticated and expensive it smells. The modern stuff doesn't smell remotely like it, as I found to my cost (draincleaner).
07th December, 2013
This floral chypre is dry, sharp, pungent, yet sweet and rounded in the dry down. The base is very reminiscent of Shalimar's.

I originally gave this a neutral review, but it has grown on my considerably since that earlier review and now it has become one of my all time favorites. Thank goodness Basenotes allows three edits of reviews so that one can change one's mind over time.

This has a slightly sweet, warm beauty that is very comforting. It is at its best when worn at dusk.

Vintage recommended only.
17th April, 2013 (last edited: 31st January, 2014)
ONly the vintage stuff is worth wearing and by vintage I mean bottles from the 50s or 60s totally different from whats sold today. Can still be found on ebay, I have even managed to find a bottle dating back to the 30s and it is still pretty potent, lovely perfume in its original incarnation.
22nd March, 2013
Along with Chanel No 5 and Guerlain Samsara, this was my darling mum's favourite. She used to ask for this at Christmas before I had enough money to buy her Chanel or Guerlain. But even then, this remained her favourite. I don't think I could wear Coty L'Aimant, as I would be crying constantly, but I have to give it a big thumbs up, as if it was good enough for my mum, it is good enough for me.
02nd August, 2012
This review is for an uncertain vintage extrait version. From the bottle it certainly smells "retro". On the skin there is a very loud arrival of old fashioned aldehydes. Then things settle into a very dense powdery woodiness. It could be apricots or peaches and sandalwood, maybe amber. It has a backbone and density of character that are similar to Arpege and Chanel5. I find it supremely comforting and sort of meditative. I love the richness of it. My bottle conveys the same experience as the one reviewed below by millascent
29th April, 2010

Vintage Coty Essence L'Aimant No. 295A Perfume 0.40 Oz. & Box Sealed

End Date: Wednesday Mar-20-2019 15:05:30 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $85.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Vintage Coty L'Aimant Laimant Spray Perfume Two Partial 1.8 oz Flacon Pfizer FR2

End Date: Wednesday Mar-20-2019 16:41:13 PDT

Vintage Eau De Toilette L'Aimant De Coty Splash-On 3.40oz 65%-70% Full

End Date: Thursday Mar-21-2019 16:50:40 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $119.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Coty L'aimant Paris Parfum de Toilette 1.7 fl.oz. Slightly Used (910)

End Date: Friday Mar-22-2019 10:11:58 PDT