L'Aimant (1927)

PerfumerVincent Roubert
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Beauty
Parent Company at launchCoty Inc

About L'Aimant

L'Aimant is a feminine perfume by Coty. The scent was launched in 1927 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Vincent Roubert and François Coty

Reviews of L'Aimant

rbaker Show all reviews
The vintage EdT:

A beautiful opening of neroli and bergamot and peach and ... most interestingly a delicious strawberry note, a rare feat in fragrances in general. This all is given additional brightness by a good lashing of aldehydes.

The drydown turns floral in a big way, with a glowing carnation, a green jasmine, a good dash of muguet morphing into a creamy ylang-ylang.

The base adds a sweetish vanilla, counterbalanced by a darker and slightly spicy labdanum and a dyad Of benzoin and an woodsy undertone.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and seven hours of longevity on my skin.

This delightful scent for spring evenings is characterised by luscious floral impressions and fresh aldehydic uppers. The quality of the ingredients is top-notch, and always impressive.
4/5.
14th August, 2019
I bought a bottle (very inexpensive) from ebay when I saw someone say it smelled like Bal à Versailles. I'm sniffing vintage EdCs of both. Though they're quite similar, the Laimant is lighter and more chypreish, whereas the BaV is more lushly oriental and hypnotic with much more projection. The Coty smells like it has soapiness. The BaV doesn't. Both are good, but I ADORE BaV.
12th December, 2013
This was one of the 'posh' scents of my youth, 50 years or so ago. Posh because it was a cut above the stuff you bought in Woolies (Woolworth's) - you had to go to Boots' to buy this! We used to save up our Saturday money to buy it when we were about sixteen.

To me it cries out 'carnation' but it is a lovely,spicy, flowery scent. I recently acquired a vintage bottle and I was surprised at how sophisticated and expensive it smells. The modern stuff doesn't smell remotely like it, as I found to my cost (draincleaner).
07th December, 2013
This floral chypre is dry, sharp, pungent, yet sweet and rounded in the dry down. The base is very reminiscent of Shalimar's.

I originally gave this a neutral review, but it has grown on my considerably since that earlier review and now it has become one of my all time favorites. Thank goodness Basenotes allows three edits of reviews so that one can change one's mind over time.

This has a slightly sweet, warm beauty that is very comforting. It is at its best when worn at dusk.

Vintage recommended only.
17th April, 2013 (last edited: 31st January, 2014)
ONly the vintage stuff is worth wearing and by vintage I mean bottles from the 50s or 60s totally different from whats sold today. Can still be found on ebay, I have even managed to find a bottle dating back to the 30s and it is still pretty potent, lovely perfume in its original incarnation.
22nd March, 2013
Along with Chanel No 5 and Guerlain Samsara, this was my darling mum's favourite. She used to ask for this at Christmas before I had enough money to buy her Chanel or Guerlain. But even then, this remained her favourite. I don't think I could wear Coty L'Aimant, as I would be crying constantly, but I have to give it a big thumbs up, as if it was good enough for my mum, it is good enough for me.
02nd August, 2012

Add your review of L'Aimant

Shop for L'Aimant products online

Vintage Cody L'Aimant Powder From The 1950’s. Still Smells!

End Date: Monday Dec-9-2019 8:34:32 PST
Buy It Now for only: $7.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Vintage Coty ‘L’aimant’ Parfum and Powder Set Sealed with Rare Outer Box.

End Date: Monday Dec-9-2019 9:18:21 PST

Coty L'Aimant Spray Cologne 45ml In Box Vintage

End Date: Monday Dec-9-2019 11:56:53 PST
Buy It Now for only: $59.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

L'aimant By Coty Perfume Dusting Powder 4 oz Boxed (Y46)

End Date: Monday Dec-9-2019 11:58:45 PST