Wild Musk (1973)

Parent Company at launchPfizer

About Wild Musk

Wild Musk is a feminine perfume by Coty. The scent was launched in 1973

Reviews of Wild Musk

A non-scent on me, despite dousing myself with it.

Very weak combination of Bergamot, Lavender, Musk, Muguet and Vanilla.

I just don't get all the good reviews. There are far better musks out there, and of drugstore pricing as well. And my bottle was vintage.

26th July, 2014
Sensual without breaking the bank!

I took trip down a very wonderful memory lane when pulling out this one from the closet. I had a revelation that a wonderful ,wearable scent need not cost a fortune (oh the cash I've forked out on fragrance). Wild Musk is warm , comfortable and sensual in a low key natural sort of way. No pop celebs, neon colors, artsy bottle, million dollar advertisements here. This scent will lead to snuggling by a fire, curling up under covers for a romantic movie, walking through fresh Autumn leaves and all things simple and lovely. An added bonus is an escape from strong floral, fruity headache inducing, sneezy, eye watering bottles of "hope for the perfect scent. " Did I mention the cash I've spent! Seriously, you really should take a chance with Wild Musk.

Pros: Distinctive, long lasting, everything good about the 70s!
Cons: Cannot be pretentious in this one."

22nd October, 2013
My Signature Musk

Coty Wild Musk used to be my signature scent in my teens and 20s. I used the oil. It was both clean and dirty, warm and sweet, with a powdery finish that lasted all day. It was sexy and blossomed with the heat of skin. It was the perfume of my discovery of love. It was me. I still wore it in my 30s, and my children said, "It smelled like mom."

The current EDT is a pale shadow of the original but still the best product to replace the original. Wild Musk smells like it has vanilla or amber, some white florals and/or rose, bergamot, sandalwood and/or a touch of patchouli, possibly some coumarin or heliotrope. Current synthetic musks that carry some of the aspects of this scent are Habanolide (clean), Velvione (dirty), and Ambrettolied (fruity.) Other musks of the era that are still available but not quite as good are Bonnie Bell Skin Musk and Jovan Musk.

Pros: Sexy, skin scent
Cons: Reformulation is weak"

09th September, 2013
A radiant, feminine, bit vintage floral musk with patterns of bergamot, orange and  amber-vanilla in the dry down. The juice is tenacious, sensual and finally warm and comforting with some rosey and baby powder (and so corporeal, for many dirty) kind of accents.  A really decent and attractive cheap fragrance unfortunately a bit hard to find nowadays.
28th July, 2012 (last edited: 11th February, 2013)
This is my drug store guilty pleasure and my husband's favorite scent on me. I literally have to scrape him off of me when I wear it!

I have a "bumpy" bottle from the early 90s and am sad to hear that the newer bottles may not have the same depth and richness.

Wild musk is probably the sexiest scent that I own. If you enjoy musk and can find a vintage bottle I would recommend giving this one a try.
12th May, 2012
Though I'm not a musk fan in general (and in fact usually go out of my way to avoid it), I wore Coty Wild Musk Oil all through the '70s. To me it was less animalic than sweet and ambery-vanilla. Sexy but not in-your-face dirty. Men loved it, and I felt beautiful when I wore it.

I just rediscovered it, finding a bottle for less than $15 online. I expected to be disappointed, having in the meantime developed a taste for more sophisticated and complex scents -- but it still casts the same spell.
13th January, 2011