Gardenia (1974)

Year of Launch1974
AvailabilityDiscontinued

HouseCrabtree & Evelyn

About Gardenia

Gardenia is a feminine perfume by Crabtree & Evelyn. The scent was launched in 1974

Reviews of Gardenia

sibie Show all reviews
The way I see it, perfume is a subjective thing. We're all attracted to different things and I could go into the whole olfactory sense and human evolution, but I am sure you get the point. Crabtree & Evelyn is not for everyone, even though their line is varied enough to please just about everyone. I never saw their perfumes as particularly groundbreaking, but rather nostalgic. For me, it is indeed that nostalgia as much as that I like many of their products (specifically ones that have not been reformulated...and there's not many of those left). I gather that rather than reformulate Gardenia, they just discontinued it, as they did with some of their other well loved products.

I love C&E's Gardenia, but don't ask me why, because I do not know. Originally, I was just Ok with it. I love the Gardenia scent and have sampled many a Gardenia perfume, and this one did not smell like Gardenia. In fact, I have several large Gardenia bushes in my back yard. However, one day it hit me and I was in love with this. Typical for C&E, they discontinued it.... I hunted for it on eBay (including the bath gel) for a few years, but once I got deeper into perfumery, I figured out how to make it for myself.

Personally, I think they should have just called this 'Sampaquita' and be done with it, because if you smell Givaudan's Sampaquita base, you'll light up and find yourself exclaiming, "It's C&E's Gardenia!" Even C&E's descritpion of their Gardenia perfume is almost, literally, Givaudan's description of their Sampaquita base.

Obviously, there is more to this perfume than mere Sampaquita. There is the warmth of a woodsy Gardenia in there as well, rounding off the Tuberose, Jasmine, Honeysuckle and Violets (or, rather, Givaudan's Sampaquita.....). The Eau de Toilette is light and wears off rather quickly, so if you love this, I would suggest the Eau de Parfum instead if you can find it, even if pricey.
25th February, 2018
l remember seeing this for sale way back in the eighties, long before it was discontinued. Foolishly l never got around to sniffing it, but a few months ago l stumbled across a bottle on ebay, & couldn't resist a blind buy.
When first sprayed, this scent appears deceptively light, pretty & simple, but as it warms on the skin, it opens up into a big tuberose & jasmine, with tremendous sillage, & a distinctly animalic undertone.The impression is of an elegant-looking lady wearing very naughty underclothes. After two hours, it settles into a clean & soapy white floral, & lasts a good seven hours.
This is not a true gardenia fragrance, but no matter, it is a lovely spring floral in a classic style. Too bad that it's no longer available, but it's still possible to get a good deal on ebay if you feel like giving it a shot.
11th June, 2012
The heavy and intoxicating aroma of gardenia is here! I think that is why it has been d/c by C&E; not a fragrance that can be worn easily. It enters the room before you do. I only have the powder left in my fragrance collection. I like to use it on summer nights after a shower.
20th February, 2011

Add your review of Gardenia

Shop for Gardenia products online

Search for on eBay United States

Rare Vintage Crabtree & Evelyn Gardenia Eau De Toilette 3.4 Oz 95% Full Spray

• USD $50.00 STARTING BID
  • Listing Type: Auction – 0 Bid(s)
  • Time Left: 6 days

Crabtree & Evelyn Paris Gardenia Eau De Toilette 3.5 oz 1/2 Full Glass Bottle

• USD $29.99 STARTING BID
  • Listing Type: Auction – 0 Bid(s)
  • Time Left: 6 days

Crabtree Evelyn GARDENIA Eau DE Parfum 50ml, 1.7oz NEW SEALED

• USD $289.99
  • Time Left: 17 days

Member images of Gardenia

There are no member images of Gardenia yet. Why not be the first?