Nantucket Briar (1985)

Nantucket Briar information

Year of Launch1985

HouseCrabtree & Evelyn

About Nantucket Briar

Nantucket Briar is a feminine perfume by Crabtree & Evelyn. The scent was launched in 1985

Nantucket Briar fragrance notes

Reviews of Nantucket Briar

I cannot stand the perfume itself, but the powder and the shower gel are spectacular.
18th February, 2012
I used to work for C&E and have tried most of their line. Nantucket Briar is probably C&E's number one selling fragrance. I remember a customer asking me why it was so popular; she described it as smelling so "old ladyish." Well, it may not be a "modern" fragrance but is appealing to many women who a comfortable with a classic powdery, clean, slightly spicy floral. It's affordable, has accompanying items (i.e.powder, lotion, soap, etc.) and is easily gifted. One thing I can say about most C&E fragrances is they have staying power. If not careful, Nantucket Briar can be overpowering. I prefer using the fragranced body lotion.
20th February, 2011
Women women - I find this one ultra conservative - with a strong statement of standards and a superb longevity

Powdery - flowery and the ambergris do make this great scent a Vintage/Classic style

Superbly constructed

It would be great if more ladies wear this one instead of the ultra marketed gloomy high street scents - this one has class and power
21st September, 2010
Unisex in my opinion too, because even the femninine , floral, feminine notes are a touch more masculine due to their restrained beauty, their moderate warmth, a certain refined spicy quality. Very old-school, but also optmistic and uplifting scent, reminding me of a day at the seaside, as it has a certain ozonic and marine quality, followed by a warmer drydown, but also exhaling a certain coolness( both in the sense of clean, icy touches, but also in the metaphorical sense, meaning calm, elegance, sobriety and self-confidence).
21st December, 2006
WOMEN'S fragrance? Unisex, maybe, but this stuff is, IMHO, about as feminine as Martina Navratilova on steroids. No, no, no -- I like it, yes, but feminine it ain't. (A woman could get away with it, but only if she had some honorary cojones, friends.)

Longevity is a slight problem with N.B., but -- for the price -- I should complain?
02nd October, 2006
One of Crabtree's real classics and one of the most place-evocative fragrances ever created, in my opinion. (I've spent a lot of summer time in New England vacation places - Nantucket, the Cape, Newport, Bar Harbor, etc - so I speak from happy experience!) This is a blend of wild rose, lavender and a scattering of green and powdery notes, meant to create the impression of rambling backyard gardens and fresh linens flapping on the line. I smell this and in my mind literally see childhood memories of relatives' homes that exactly fit this description. The rose you get here is not a lush, hothouse one, but something modest and discreet, like a primrose. And of course, the lavender is clean, a bit bracing, a touch spicy. There's not too much of it, either, so you don't get that slightly masculine effect that this note can sometimes lend; Nantucket Briar is very feminine all the way around. The green notes could be either a smattering of grass or something a little more citrusy like bergamot or verbena, I'm not entirely sure; they're not that noticeable but they lend a little spark to the scent, which might otherwise tend toward a bit of flatness. This is just a purely simple and beautiful fragrance.
28th September, 2005

Add your review of Nantucket Briar

Shop for Nantucket Briar products online

Shop for Nantucket Briar at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Nantucket Briar

Member images of Nantucket Briar

There are no member images of Nantucket Briar yet. Why not be the first?