Intoxication (1938)

Intoxication is a feminine perfume by D'Orsay. The scent was launched in 1938

Reviews of Intoxication

rbaker Show all reviews
The Eau de Toilette:
The opening blast starts on a fresh mandarine-lemon citrus base, with bergamot rounding off the refreshing start. The drydown very much takes a floral turn, with a dark, rich and velvety rose impression mixed with a gorgeous jasmine; a hint of lily-of-the-valley provided a more light-hearted touch at times. Gorgeous all the way.

The base keeps up the high standard set so far: it is sweeter, with a great natural tonka joining a dark and brooding patchouli and a faecaloid musk note for a distinct animalistic twist.

The star performer in the base, however, is an amazing oak moss; of a raw, at times waxy, natural, pungently refreshing clarity, it reigns supreme until the finale, with only the occasional additional whiff of sandalwood present towards the end.

The performance is sheer brilliance, with strong sillage, great projection and a stunning thirteen hours of longevity on my skin. Beautiful in autumn and winter, the quality of the ingredients is nothing short of amazing and the whole composition is superbly blended. One of D'Orsays masterpiece chypres, showing the heights this house was able to achieve in its time. 4/5.
14th December, 2015
KLRich Show all reviews
I had a bottle of what I assume was Intoxication nearly 35 years ago. I have dreamt of it often, tried to find it and have always come up short. For many years I had a severe sensitivity to all fragrances. Now that I have recovered from that I am once again dreaming of finding that elusive frag.
I searched ebay and bought a small bottle....hope springs eternal. I will let you all know how the quest goes!
05th June, 2015 (last edited: 15th June, 2015)
A spicy floral of no particular distinction. Barbara Herman links it to Revlon's 1955 Intimate, but my nose detects no similarities, the latter being bolder and in your face and the Intoxication quiet. She also calls it a bright, sharp, sexy floral.

Top notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin
Heart notes: Rose, Neroli, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Muguet, Nutmeg
Base notes: Vetiver, Patchouli, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Tonka, Musk, Benzoin

09th April, 2014
Standard French-style perfume

I acquired a tube of vintage nips. Intoxication was among the 4 scents included. The great thing about testing vintage scents from nips is that the scent inside is pretty much as fresh as the day it was inserted into the nip, since they're completely sealed, which means no air can get in.

My impression of Intoxication is that it's an aldehydic floral in the vein of Arpege. It opens with aldehydes and rose. There's also jasmine, citrus, sandalwood, vetiver and musk. There's a very slight powdery quality, but it's not enough to deter anyone who is not fond of powdery scents. It would be a nice find if you came across it in a thrift store, antiques mall or flea market, but there's more than enough Arpege available on the internet that you won't need to exhaust yourself trying to score some Intoxication.

Pros: a safe bet
Cons: no surprises here

07th June, 2013
I received this with some others, it was a very old bottle with brown resin (mmmm....) at the bottom, not very much. Unfortunately, it leaked into the plastic baggy it was packed in. I thought it smelled heavenly. My husband pronounced it urinal cake. So I just left the baggy open slightly and put it in the bathroom to scent the air! It finally lost that ability, so today after my shower I put the few remaining drops on. I had been feeling not so good, had a different perfume give me a wowzer headache in the morning, but felt better after my shower. I find resinous goopy vintages very comforting, and this proved so. I looked up the notes elsewhere, but I see Tessara did a good job of listing them. I can see how my syrup had those beginnings, because as thick as it is, it is still a beautiful light fragrance. The ampule Tessara had would be so much truer to the original scent, and I would not have guessed L'Aimant, but sandalwood, you bet. I LOVE sandalwood. I think if you love vintages, you could successfully try it whether it is light or dark. Oh, and hubby quite liked it on me!
28th July, 2012 (last edited: 30th July, 2012)
I tried this out of a vintage ampule. It is a lovely light orangey floral, very reminiscent of L'Aimant on my skin. L'Aimant was my first perfume, so unfortunately this also reminds me of being about 9 years old, and while that's not a bad thing, the scent is a little young for me now. Fragrance notes are reported as: Citron, Mandarain, Bergamot, Ylang Ylang, Rose. There is probably also sandalwood and a light vanilla in the base, which generally turns powdery on me.

Worth a try if you like the older Cotys and can find it.
22nd May, 2007

Add your review of Intoxication

Shop for Intoxication products online

Search Amazon for Intoxication

Member images of Intoxication

There are no member images of Intoxication yet. Why not be the first?