Tabu (1932)

Shop for Tabu products online

68ml Cologne
    52ml Cologne

Reviews of Tabu

Showing 1 to 6 of 75 reviews.

Darvant's avatar

Dana Tabu strikes us by soon for its (immediately detectable) combination of honeyed jasmine, tuberose (not listed), orange blossoms, vetiver, patchouli, sandalwood, resins, sweet spices (cinnamon for sure) and civet, overall combined in order to project in its background something more obscure (something marvellously spicy, resinous, smoky, earthy and "greedy"), namely the hidden core of this impalpable gem. The note of civet is waving for not more than five minutes as a sort of "stale flowerpot's water feel". Absolutely fleeting the aroma on skin, Tabu lasts infact not more than forthy minutes on my wrist, fading quickly in to a vague linear whiff of honeyed-musky boise jasmine and balmy-spicy sandalwood (something in the same clan with Rochas Absolu and CK Obsession). A pity, really, all that initial marvellous complexity vanished in a flash.

04th March, 2015

David Ruskin's avatar

Of course I had heard about Tabu, who hasn't? However it is only recently that I have actually smelled it, and you know what? I love it! I cannot see any reason why a man (me) could not wear this, and to prove it I have.

It reminds me of a dusty old Indian head shop from the 60s; the place where you went to buy your tiny vial of Patchouli oil, your joss sticks and your scarves, Maybe, one of those strange statues? The place where you first heard Indian music. It is an Oriental to die for.

I'm not sure how old my version is but it reeks of Nitromusks , Patchouli Jasmin and Orange Flower. I can see why a Spanish company would have made this, but it does smell like the Indian ladies you meet on the bus. It goes on forever, and I am so glad it does. I can see where Youth Dew and Opium came from; a noble mother.

03rd December, 2014 (Last Edited: 18th March, 2015)

JackTwist's avatar

The great granddaddy of all amber vanilla patchouly scents, Tabu comes on strong and does not give up.

Turin, who gave it only three stars and called it a "cheap oriental," correctly names it as "the Ghengis Khan of orientals."

Barbara Herman tells us that Dana told perfumer Jean Carles to "make a perfume a prostitute would wear." I believe he has succeeded.

This warm, amber, rich, vanilla/cinnamon scent fools one since there is no vanilla or cinnamon in it.

Roja Dove tells us that the overdose of patchouli (10%), combined with the clove note of carnation creates the effect. The vanilla is actually produced from the benzoin resin of the styrax tree, as Barbara Herman informs us. Add oak moss and you have a four powerhouse note scent that was unique for 1932.

Derivation is the sincerest form of flattery in the short memory of the perfume world. Tuvache copied Tabu in 1948 with their Tuvara, softening and rounding out the notes. It had another incarnation in 1952 when Estee Lauder created her most popular scent, Youth Dew, also a copy of both Tabu nd Tuvara.

Top notes: Bergamot, Orange, Neroli, Coriander
    Heart notes: Carnation (Clove Bud), Jasmine, Ylang, Rose, Narcissus, Clover
    Base notes: Patchouli, Civet, Cedar, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Benzoin, Amber, Musk, Oak moss.

This is one to definitely try, but be warned, a little bit goes a long way.

Of the three my favorite is Tuvara - I find it warmer than either Tabu or Youth Dew and it has softer edges. To each his./her own.

10th October, 2014

Oldbiddy's avatar

I love this one! I have the cello bottle EDC from Walmart. I have to watch it that i do not drown myself in this one as I will assault everyone around me with the fragrance cloud i exude!!! lol

22nd July, 2014

Oviatt's avatar

I am not sure about recent versions of this, but the old stuff was amazing. Warm and sultry in a way that still--just barely--remained ladylike. I read somewhere that "to appreciate Opium, you have to understand Tabu" and I think that that is right--it laid the groundwork for so many ambery, animalic orientals that came later. A lady I knew--sadly gone now--always wore this as her signature--a true lady in every way (a grande dame, really), she always trailed a cloud of rich, sultry Tabu--completely at odds with her correct and proper image. She could afford any perfume she wanted, but loyally stuck to Tabu even as it became a drugstore scent. One of the truly great perfumes and while clearly not for everybody, for those it suited, it became a hallmark. Wonderful advertising over the years, too.

11th December, 2013

's avatar

This is an excellent fragrance for the women who love bold scents!

Tabu, ah, how memorable you are.

When I was eleven, my mother came across Tabu in the local pharmacy and bought it for me, despite me not really much enjoying spicy, wood scents (I'd always preferred floral), and I used it till the bottle was empty. While I grew to like it, much to my overall surprise, I didn't purchase it again till today as I felt the scent was too 'mature' for a girl of eleven, or even to a girl in her teens. Aside from that, every pharmacy in my area suddenly stopped selling Tabu. I couldn't restock, even if I wanted to. However, upon moving to a new town (which to my delight, sells Tabu everywhere in truckloads and in many different forms, such as a shampoo and shower gel, EDC and EDT, bodyspray and talcum powder at a VERY affordable price), I've been able to rediscover it and appreciate it, as a seventeen year old.

The EDT scent on me is very warm, smooth and rich, and seems to stick very easily and linger on everything, and lasts for a good amount of time. It smells, to me, of amber, sandalwood and patchouli, and has a musk hint to it, but very little, if anything at all, of orange as quite a few seem to have described. However, I can certainly smell spice in the top notes, and the slightest hint of rose and ylang-ylang, but only the slightest. It's a very womanly scent and when I wear it, I feel confident as it has a very classy aura to it I don't get off other perfumes that I've owned, or do own. The perfumes I currently own are fresh and youthful, which I enjoy, but Tabu has a dark charm to it that personally makes me feel grown up and mature, and it makes me feel like I can command anyone! Really a confidence lifter. If you're bold, go for Tabu!

25th October, 2013

• Time Left: 8 days
    VINTAGE DANA TABU 1 OZ WOMEN'S COLOGNE & 1/4 PERFUME SET
    • Time Left: 1 day
    (Shipping from United States)
    VTG TABU Cologne By DANA New York 2oz., NIB- Rare Find!
    • 1 Bid(s)