Chantilly (1941)
by Dana (originally by Houbigant)

Chantilly information

Year of Launch1941

Originally byHoubigant
Parent CompanyPatriarch Partners > Dana Classics

About Chantilly

Chantilly is a feminine perfume by Dana. The scent was launched in 1941

Chantilly fragrance notes

Reviews of Chantilly

Sometimes, when reading other perfume reviews, a humbling realization strikes in which it becomes clear that a life experience that felt unique or authentic is, in fact, quite common. Chantilly was worn by my grandmother. She would douse herself in about 50 sprays during special occasions—i. e., anytime we would visit—and then toddle around the house doing all of those wonderful grandma things.

As a child, I never understood that we were not “well off” and part of the reason for this was that my grandparents would spend the whole year saving up for Christmas to ensure that the whole family would feel special and cared for. My grandmother spent very little on herself, but she took pride in her appearance by applying makeup to her miraculously wrinkle-free skin and regularly covering her gray hair with dark brown dye from a box. She carried herself with dignity in spite of the polyester dresses and rough southern Italian accent.

As others have pointed out, the affordable Chantilly is several classics rolled into one without coming across as cheap or derivative. It opens with a heavy dose of aldehydes and lemon balanced with a sweet, spicy vanilla musk. The development on my skin, however, is disjointed as the aldehydes remain jagged and piercing next to the sweet oriental base. The lemon curdles the cloying cream as the composition falls apart.

14th August, 2016
This perfume is basically like a less expensive dupe of a Classic Guerlain like Shalimar or Mitsouko, although I would say it actually reminds me of Mitsouko a bit more.
I actually used to wear this one a lot when I was a teenager, and, at the time it always used to remind me of baby powder for some reason! Although it does have a slightly powdery quality, I just sprayed some of it on from a tester bottle at the drug store, and actually realized that it is mostly a mossy green-woody chypre! I can instantly recognize that now that I have acquired some more knowledge of perfumes that I never used to have! It is also quite unisex and could easily be worn by a man, as well as by a woman, since it really doesn't have any very sweet notes. It's interesting to me that as a teenager I never noticed that! My nose has become so used to all of the very sweet vanilla and fruity-florals that dominate the market now, that, now that I have gone back and revisited "Chantilly" I realize that it is, in fact, quite a dry fragrance compared to a lot of what is sold now!
It is, however, still a really great perfume and I recommend trying it! It is in the lower end price range, as I said, but to me, it doesn't smell like a lower end fragrance. I think it's just as great as Mitsouko! If "Chantilly" has one drawback it would be that it really doesn't have a lot of sillage or longevity on me! I think one other reviewer on here mentioned that this perfume is way stronger than Shalimar. On me, the opposite is actually true. This fragrance is quite quiet and subtle, fades out kind of fast, and seems to remain mainly a skin scent. Shalimar is almost obnoxiously strong on me by comparison! (I suspect Mitsouko probably is too, but I've never found a tester bottle in stores, so I've only been able to sample it from small tubes with dabbing sticks.) Like I said, this one isn't very expensive though, so reapplying a lot isn't really a big deal. I definitely think you should try this if you like dry woody, unisex fragrances and mossy green chypres at all. You'll probably like it! :)
24th November, 2015
I was only a child the last time I smelled the original chypre Chantilly by Houbigant. I have no precise memories of it but I do remember I thought it smelled like old ladies! I just sampled the Dana version and I must admit it is not without its charms. Of course, like the original, it is a typical "drugstore" fragrance and it is by no means a "young" fragrance but at least, it is rather nice. If you like Shalimar, chances are you will like Chantilly (Dana). These fragrances share a brief citrucy start and a lingering ambery base. As a matter of fact, their olfactory pyramid are extremely similar. Of course, Chantilly does not have the subtlety of Shalimar but hey, for one fifth of the price, you get a pretty decent equivalent.
24th December, 2013 (last edited: 05th January, 2014)
Houbigant Vintage Chantlly - fragrant sweet dark chypre

Since there is no fragrance directory page for the original Houbigant Chantilly, I am writing this for the Dana reformulation page to inform potential purchasers of this scent.

It is to your benefit to avoid the cheap Dana reformulation and purchase the vintage Houbigant on Ebay. This is a warm, fragrant, dark chypre of the old school type - just wonderful for those of us who love this type of scent.

If you are a fan of Shocking, Replique, Plaisir, etc, you will love the vintage Chantilly.

Pros: A lovely old chypre - warm and sensual
Cons: Reformulation by Dana to be avoided

14th June, 2013
a very lingering, lovely scent. I only apply a little at a time due to its enveloping nature, but the current version is one of my faves and the older version was my gran's fave.
16th August, 2012
Review of vintage Houbigant version.
I truly hate this. It makes me feel really nauseous, too sweet, too heavy, too cloying.
16th July, 2012

Add your review of Chantilly

Shop for Chantilly products online

Shop for Chantilly at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Chantilly