Chantilly (1941)
by Dana (originally by Houbigant)

Chantilly information

About Chantilly

Chantilly is a feminine perfume by Dana. The scent was launched in 1941

Chantilly fragrance notes

Reviews of Chantilly

I recall buying this perfume for my mom several decades ago.

Chantilly is a warm, sweet and spicy floral fragrance that wasn't loud and had a nice, lingering ambery finish.

I don't know if what I gave her in the mid-1980's was the reformulated Dana version or not. Whatever it was, I happened to find it to smell really friendly and exude a laid-back charm to it.
04th September, 2018
This review is for vintage Houbigant Chantilly.

Top Notes: Fruit, Lemon, Bergamot, Neroli.

Heart Notes: Spices, Carnation, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Orange Blossom, Rose.

Base Notes: Leather, Tonka Bean, Musk, Benzoin, Oak Moss, Vanilla, Sandalwood..

I recalled this fragrance from many, many years ago, but I could not recall how it smelt. I read a few reviews wherein the reviewers stated that is smelt like Shalimar, so I never purchased it as I own Shalimar. Finally, thanks to another perfume lover who advised me to get it, I did purchase it, and all I can say is I am sorry I waited so long to add it to my collection. It really is a lovely, lovey, feminine fragrance. It is warm and a bit powdery with strong citrus notes that are not sharp at all because they blend beautifully with the floral notes. As for the notion that it smells like Shalimar, well, I can only state that to my nose it may in the same olfactory category, i.e. Oriental, but it could never be mistaken for Shalimar. If I had not read that a few years ago, I would have purchased it much sooner than I did.

As of this writing, I own Chantilly in EdT, PdT, and parfum formulations. I particularly like the PdT and parfum. I also have the dusting powder which pairs beautifully with the fragrance. Chantilly smells classic. To some young noses, I suppose it might smell dated, but I love and look forward to wearing it as much as any other fragrance I own. I think it works better as an Autumn and Winter scent, but it could certainly be worn all year round. If I try hard, I can tease out most of the notes except for the leather note. With Shalimar, I have no trouble detecting the leather note.

Chantilly is soft, feminine, warm, spicy, florally, and just plain scrummy. I cannot see how anyone could be offended by this elegant fragrance, so I feel it would be appropriate to virtually any venue. I am sure some men could carry it off as well.

My review is based on vintage Houbigant EdT, EdP, and dusting powder. I think the vintage packaging is lovely, too. It is no wonder to me that Chantilly has been around since 1941. It is a classic and well worth adding to one's wardrobe, especially for the price point which is quite modest compared to many of my other fragrances. Performance is average, but my bottles are pretty old, too, so that may have something to do with it. I have not tried the most recent formulation, so please try before you purchase as many feel the Dana formulation leaves a lot to be desired.

There is something very comforting about this fragrance. Perhaps I have unconscious associations of it, but whatever may be the reason(s), this is one fragrance I am very pleased to have in my collection. If you already own Shalimar, adding Chantilly to your collection will not be a redundancy. I wish I had known this a long time ago.

Fragrance: 8.5/10

Projection: 6/10

Silage: 6/10

Longevity: 6/10
03rd July, 2018
I have the eau de toilette version of Chantilly by Dana. It smells similar to Shalimar but softer. Chantilly smells warm with a spicy powdery aroma. It also has a hint of vanilla with leather in the dry down. I haven't tried the vintage, but Dana's version is very good. The bottle I bought said, "New Look, Same Scent." I still think there was a reformulation, and it's for the better. I paid $25.00 dollars for a 2.0 ounce bottle, which is about $10.00 dollars more than it use to cost. The bottle is cheap looking, but the new version of Chantilly has better longevity. The sillage is rather intimate, but I think I like that in a fragrance. I highly recommend Chantilly. It's an affordable classic.
24th August, 2017
Sometimes, when reading other perfume reviews, a humbling realization strikes in which it becomes clear that a life experience that felt unique or authentic is, in fact, quite common. Chantilly was worn by my grandmother. She would douse herself in about 50 sprays during special occasions—i. e., anytime we would visit—and then toddle around the house doing all of those wonderful grandma things.

As a child, I never understood that we were not “well off” and part of the reason for this was that my grandparents would spend the whole year saving up for Christmas to ensure that the whole family would feel special and cared for. My grandmother spent very little on herself, but she took pride in her appearance by applying makeup to her miraculously wrinkle-free skin and regularly covering her gray hair with dark brown dye from a box. She carried herself with dignity in spite of the polyester dresses and rough southern Italian accent.

As others have pointed out, the affordable Chantilly is several classics rolled into one without coming across as cheap or derivative. It opens with a heavy dose of aldehydes and lemon balanced with a sweet, spicy vanilla musk. The development on my skin, however, is disjointed as the aldehydes remain jagged and piercing next to the sweet oriental base. The lemon curdles the cloying cream as the composition falls apart.

14th August, 2016
This perfume is basically like a less expensive dupe of a Classic Guerlain like Shalimar or Mitsouko, although I would say it actually reminds me of Mitsouko a bit more.
I actually used to wear this one a lot when I was a teenager, and, at the time it always used to remind me of baby powder for some reason! Although it does have a slightly powdery quality, I just sprayed some of it on from a tester bottle at the drug store, and actually realized that it is mostly a mossy green-woody chypre! I can instantly recognize that now that I have acquired some more knowledge of perfumes that I never used to have! It is also quite unisex and could easily be worn by a man, as well as by a woman, since it really doesn't have any very sweet notes. It's interesting to me that as a teenager I never noticed that! My nose has become so used to all of the very sweet vanilla and fruity-florals that dominate the market now, that, now that I have gone back and revisited "Chantilly" I realize that it is, in fact, quite a dry fragrance compared to a lot of what is sold now!
It is, however, still a really great perfume and I recommend trying it! It is in the lower end price range, as I said, but to me, it doesn't smell like a lower end fragrance. I think it's just as great as Mitsouko! If "Chantilly" has one drawback it would be that it really doesn't have a lot of sillage or longevity on me! I think one other reviewer on here mentioned that this perfume is way stronger than Shalimar. On me, the opposite is actually true. This fragrance is quite quiet and subtle, fades out kind of fast, and seems to remain mainly a skin scent. Shalimar is almost obnoxiously strong on me by comparison! (I suspect Mitsouko probably is too, but I've never found a tester bottle in stores, so I've only been able to sample it from small tubes with dabbing sticks.) Like I said, this one isn't very expensive though, so reapplying a lot isn't really a big deal. I definitely think you should try this if you like dry woody, unisex fragrances and mossy green chypres at all. You'll probably like it! :)
24th November, 2015
I was only a child the last time I smelled the original chypre Chantilly by Houbigant. I have no precise memories of it but I do remember I thought it smelled like old ladies! I just sampled the Dana version and I must admit it is not without its charms. Of course, like the original, it is a typical "drugstore" fragrance and it is by no means a "young" fragrance but at least, it is rather nice. If you like Shalimar, chances are you will like Chantilly (Dana). These fragrances share a brief citrucy start and a lingering ambery base. As a matter of fact, their olfactory pyramid are extremely similar. Of course, Chantilly does not have the subtlety of Shalimar but hey, for one fifth of the price, you get a pretty decent equivalent.
24th December, 2013 (last edited: 05th January, 2014)

Add your review of Chantilly

• Time Left: 15 days

Dana CHANTILLY Eau De Toilette Spray 1 oz No Box

• USD $8.99
  • Shipping from: United States

2x CHANTILLY By Dana Eau De Toilette Spray For Women 1 oz / 30 ml EDT NEW IN BOX

• USD $17.99