Black Cashmere (2002)

HouseDonna Karan
PerfumerRodrigo Flores-Roux
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies > Aramis and Designer Fragrances

About Black Cashmere

Black Cashmere is a feminine perfume by Donna Karan. The scent was launched in 2002 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Rodrigo Flores-Roux

Reviews of Black Cashmere

there is NOTHING feminine about it. Its about as unisex as a fragrance can get. I have the original scent, bottled in something that looks like a computer mouse, on steroids. Its a favorite of mine. I call it an intimate, 'dinner scent', because thats about how long it lasts on me...but nonetheless, its a pretty special fragrance. It reeks of class and uniqueness. Lasts a while longer in warmer weather. I thought it smelled like prunes, stirred in saffron, first time I smelled it...and then my nose, readjusted and I started to dig into the other notes, featured, here. Its just a beautiful perfume.

If Karan had stopped here, and not made another fragrance, she'd be less wealthy, but probably more respected in the fragrance community. There is not another Donna Karan scent that trumps this one, in my opinion.

I hear that Chaos, is a more powerful version of BC...I'll have to smell it to know for myself.
24th November, 2015
I agree with everyone who says this is unisex. I'm a woman and I LOVE this fragrance, and can totally imagine how sexy it would be on a man! This fragrance is, in my opinion, a sexy black cashmere LOW cut sweater barely covering what it needs to. So sexy. VERY easy to get heavy handed on this, so spritz lightly. I recommend to any and every one! it's yummy!
04th August, 2015
Black Cashmere opens with an incredibly thick and dark accord of ultra-dense amber, ghastly rancid fruity notes, a humid bouquet of flowers right out of a Baroque still life painting, a gloomy fog of dusty incense, balsamic woody notes and on top of all of that, a *load* of spices. Remarkably "niche" for sure, for being a designer scent - where niche means creative and quite "daring", in a way (surely "nicher" than most of today's niche). There is quite a clear similarity with Lutens' style, as other reviewers have noted, notably for example Arabie for the candied-syrupy notes of resinous fruits and spices, carrying the same kind of exotic warmth and mystical sultry elegance. Still, Black Cashmere is far more dark and urban, at the same time dirty and sophisticated, smelling like luxury black velvet stained with black ink. Fascinating for sure, not the most versatile around though: its thick gloominess is as much intriguing as a bit challenging to wear, also given this scent is quite loud in my opinion (in terms of projection and sillage). Finally, the thing I honestly don't enjoy much is that since the evolution is quite monotone (or should I say absent), the scent remains quite like that - that dark, nasty, obsessive bomb of spices - for hours, and it can easily become a bit cloying soon. And in fact it did so to me. Apart from this, a remarkable scent for sure, Definitely suitable for men too. Worth a try!

7,5/10
15th October, 2014
Genre: Woody Oriental

Black Cashmere goes on as a mélange of spices with plenty of very dry cedar, blending with thick, caramelized fruit in an accord that I can only describe as – well – black. If there’s something familiar about this opening, it’s probably because it parallels some of the more popular orientals from the Serge Lutens line: scents like Arabie and Fumerie Turque. Molasses, caramel, and burning spices carry Black Cashmere forward through its next several hours. If the caramelized accord is the “black,” then perhaps the dust-dry cedar is the “cashmere” in this scent. It certainly provides a smooth, warm foundation for the sweet, dark oriental structure that straddles it.

With its dried fruit, cedar, and bottled spice shop interior, Black Cashmere channels not only the Sheldrake-Lutens formula, but Donna Karan’s own Chaos as well. The resemblance is so close in fact, that Black Cashmere could be taken as an unacknowledged flanker. Donna Karan could have easily released it as “Chaos Noir” or “Chaos Double Black” and been perfectly accurate, if not terribly inspired. As it is, Black Cashmere reads like Chaos dressed up for an evening out: heavier, darker, and more elaborate, but with the same structure recognizable beneath the added finery. In keeping with its weight, Black Cashmere is a potent scent with plenty of sillage, and will certainly not go unnoticed. My advice: if you like Chaos, Féminité du Bois, or any of its offspring in the Serge Lutens range, give Black Cashmere a try. It’s a worthy variation on the theme.
09th June, 2014
Somewhat overrated, especially compared to the other superior Donna Karan scents (pre-DKNY technicolor devo). The drydown is in fact smoothly incensed, graceful and grand. But one must sit through a sandpaper opening and riveted middle. It feels like those too tight, high waisted early 90s jeans looked. Though I love strong scents, Black Cashmere is almost obscenely loud, an all-black clad chain-smoking corporate artist with a booming New York accent. She might be your type. I strongly prefer Signature and Chaos. Black Cashmere is the scent of the incense itself, fire and all. Signature and Chaos waft more of the incense smoke.
29th November, 2012
Black Cashmere, is rich, sultry and dark. I liken it more to black, shiny silk rather than cashmere.

There is something oddly sexual about this fragrance, perhaps it is its slightly masculine smokiness and bold spiciness. I'm surprised that this wasn't so popular when it was first released, however the amount of followers it has gained since the re-release has been huge.

In a sense this fragrance is quite complex, with an array of spicy notes, woods and earthy vanilla. I expected this fragrance to be much stronger, sillage-wise than it was. Black Cashmere is surprisingly quite intimate, soft almost.

The scent is bewitchingly beautiful, a definite must-try for incense lovers like myself. I sprayed Black Cashmere all over myself prior to going out in the city, I did however have Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal sprayed lightly on my right wrist. While I enjoyed both scents, Black Cashmere unfortunately didn't last the distance, the long seven hours, drunken, in a pair of heels was too long for this fragrance to last.

I do believe that with the re-issue the scent has been watered-down, made much softer, because from what I've heard, Black Cashmere in its original formulation was heavy and cloying.

This fragrance is still delightful, don't get me wrong, however I'm a woman that loves her incense-based fragrances heavy and lasting. Black Cashmere, in my opinion, is better suited to intimate occasions, like romantic dates or cold nights lying in front of a nice, warm fire.
23rd March, 2012

Add your review of Black Cashmere

Shop for Black Cashmere products online

Shop for Black Cashmere at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Black Cashmere

Member images of Black Cashmere

There are no member images of Black Cashmere yet. Why not be the first?