Youth Dew (1953)

PerfumerJosephine Catapano
SupplierIFF
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Youth Dew

Youth Dew is a feminine perfume by Estée Lauder. The scent was launched in 1953 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Josephine Catapano and Josephine Catapano

Youth Dew fragrance notes

Reviews of Youth Dew

My rating is neutral only because this one either works for you in a big way or doesn't.

My stylish aunt wears this beautifully and has ever since I can remember. But on me? The leather that is so prominent in Azuree (and Aramis, for that matter) is always lurking beneath the florals, spices, and incense. It chokes them out completely within an hour. Too bad, because the only leather I wear well is on my shoes!

As far as "dated" is concerned, I no longer worry about such things. (How could I when Giorgio Red, Passion, and Jontue are in my regular rotation?)

If you haven't tried it, you should. You just might be one of the lucky ones.
02nd September, 2016
I have always found the name Youth Dew silly and if someone asks about it or compliments it I feel silly saying it. That said, I like the juice. I've worn YD on and off over some decades, edp, parfum, body cream and bath oil (as parfum). Also used the yearly solid perfume compacts and long ago there was a YD cologne, which was my favourite form as it had a crispness that snapped your neck around when you smelled it. :D

YD always had a place in my repertoire until coming up on its 50th Anniversary in 2003. The bottles I bought were sometimes made in Canada, sometimes in the US. One bottle I bought I had to return, it just wasn't right. When I bought the anniversary gilded bottle it said made in Switzerland. Mistake again. It didn't smell right either. YD had lost the exhilarating floral opening and distinctive woody note that differentiated it from every other spicy oriental out there and it smelled generic and blah.

Fast forward to the other day when idling in a downtown perfume department I chanced to pick up the Youth Dew bottle and lo and behold it smelled a lot like it used to in the beginning. The bottle said made in USA. I had heard that Lauder had been "restoring" some original scents and wondered if YD was one of them. Whatever they had done to it, it smelled more like itself again. Bought the edp on the spot and am enjoying it once more. And add my voice to the chorus that says: Apply lightly, please!
11th August, 2016
Oviatt Show all reviews
The name is a strange choice because there is nothing youthful about this rich, mature, heavy scent. Nor is it fresh like a dew drop. It is a rich, ambery oriental that feels heavy handed and over-ripe. This is a child of Tabu and the precursor to Opium and the sister to Replique, Interlude, Pour Une Femme, etc., but is not as good as those, in my opinion. Hugely popular in its day, this is not the timeless classic that some other orientals are, but a good, but out-dated period piece. This is for the ladies who favor big hair, heavy makeup, chunky jewelry and shoulderpads, regardless of what is in style at the time.
20th June, 2015
Salutation.

A moment of madness where succumbing to temptation. YOUTH-DEW is a richly sensual experience.this is definitely a love it or you hate it.if you ask me,i love it because i love femme fatale scents per se.it is without a doubt one of the best classic scent a woman can wear.this creative mixture to arouse unprecedented and unforgettable sensations through the power of scent.the wearer of YOUTH-DEW is a hero who sees this emblem as an incitement to provoke, challenging convention.she is also Voluptuous,Hot, Alluring,Bold,Oriental and Intriguing.

An irresistible first impression of fusing freshness opens the fragrance combining fruity notes of bergamot,peach and sparkling orange with spicy notes that add an intricate richness.the heart is feast of feminine elements of jasmine,rose,ylang ylang and cinnamon that create a bridge to the sensual and provocative base notes of vanilla,oak moss,vetiver, patchouli and amber that leaving a truly voluptuous aura in its wake in winter evening.this is a must have for a mysterious woman,a powerful and unsettling seductress who is at once ingenuous and dangerous.

Sillage?Attractive.

Longevity?Excellent on my skin.

7.5/10
13th June, 2015
This is a very sexy scent, if the comments I have received when wearing it are anything to go by. It can be overpowering- a little does go a long way. This is not a prom perfume, more like a second honeymoon scent. Even so, it has a fragrance that you will sniff often with pleasure. Lasts a very long time.
25th February, 2015
A nice spicy and resinous warm amber scent. This is a review for the vintage extrait. It feels like a precursor to the later and more difficult to wear opium. This one is a little sweeter, softer, but still there. This is no wallflower! a little bit dated, but a nice scent. Unisex to my nose.
25th May, 2014