Estée (1968)

Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Estée

Estée is a feminine perfume by Estée Lauder. The scent was launched in 1968

Reviews of Estée

An innocuous drugstore floral chore, of no real value to the world of scents, but not really bad on its own and given its pedigree.

I have sampled both the pure 1968 version and the super 1969 version. As mentioned in Jon_Remy's review, the only real difference is in the concentration and strength, the second probably called into being due to reviews of poor sillage and longevity for the original.

Barbara Herman found it "sweet, spicy and powdery," but found the jasmine "cloying, followed by spicy carnation." She believed it to be "too powdery and floral for modern noses."

I found it to resemble a number of other drugstore scents of the 1960s, all of them pleasant, but none of them outstanding, Charles of the Ritz to Matchabelli to Revlon. It's generic, pleasant, but not worth your trouble seeking out.

Top notes: Coriander, Jasmine
Heart notes: Rose, Muguet, Carnation, Lily
Base notes: Sandalwood, Oakmoss, Amber
28th August, 2014
WORST bug spray smelling perfume I've ever had to suffer thru :-( For years my mother would wear this, it always made me sneeze and give me headaches- now whenever I smell it I immediately get sick to my stomach. It's horrible!!
10th August, 2012
Very few fragrances have such a qualitative difference between a light dose and a drenching. If applied heavily, Estee has the definitive “bug spray accord” that gets discussed in ‘old lady’ perfumes. I don’t deny that, and in fact I enjoy it. For the benefit of those I love, though , I wouldn’t wear Estée at this dosage unless I were home alone, with no plans to see anybody before my next shower. But with a very light hand, and probably at least ½ hour after administration for a cooling down, this is a beautiful dry, aldehydic, woody floral. At this volume, Estée has moderate sillage, excellent endurance and becomes pleasantly soapy. I know some see this as a floral chypre, and they likely have more discriminating noses than I, but I don’t get the moss. I do wonder, though, if it’s there behind the long-lasting aldehyde in Estée and I just can’t see it.

With this quality and concentration (Pure Fragrance Spray, huh? Never understood the EL terminology.) Estée, along with Alliage , Private Collection and Azurée, represent the best-spent money in perfumery. Remarkable that this stuff is so inexpensive.
18th November, 2010 (last edited: 05th December, 2010)
Estee does NOT have staying power at ALL. If you want the wonderful Estee scent, purchase the Estee Super Cologne Spray instead. They are two totally different things. The Estee Pure Fragrance Spray does NOT last at ALL. However, the Estee Super Cologne Spray lasts ALL day. I wore it the night before and could still smell it on my skin the next morning. The Pure Fragrance Spray comes in a 2-ounce bottle, the Super Cologne Spray comes in a 1.85-ounce bottle. Buy the Super Cologne Spray, otherwise you'll keep spraying the Pure Fragrance Spray to constantly freshen up. I highly recommend the Super Cologne Spray instead!
05th January, 2009
I really love this kind of floral chypre, full on attack on your nose, seventies-style. It's pure nostalgia for me, and where I can quite see how one could find this offensive, it's for me that insanely powerful scent recognition experience that classier fragrances like First, Mitsouko, and "Y" subtly, masterfully hint at (it's what they took away from the old Rive Gauche, btw)... in all its seventies,I-am-not-understated-but-AMERICAN glory. And I LOVE it. Not for a fine meal or a date with a snob, but loads of fun nonetheless. Use sparingly.
14th December, 2008
I wore Estee as a signature scent in the late 1980s, though in the perfumed cream version, which I think made it somewhat less sharp. I always got compliments on it. Unfortunately the cream isn't sold any longer, and while I occasionally wear the perfume, I've moved on to other loves.
19th June, 2008

Add your review of Estée

Shop for Estée products online

Shop for Estée at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Estée

Member images of Estée

There are no member images of Estée yet. Why not be the first?