Alliage (1972)

PerfumerFrancis Camail
PackagingIra Levy
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Alliage

This is a very green, 'sport' fragrance. Alliage is French for 'mixture'.

Alliage fragrance notes

Reviews of Alliage

This isn't a 1980s fragrance, but oh boy, the sillage fills a room and lasts all day for me. The drydown on me acts like a linear fragrance too. It is very green and resinous to me. I am reminded of leaves burning in the fall. I usually wear this with a leather jacket or skirt as summer fades and Indian summer begins. It's getting harder to find at Lauder counters. In some places, you have to order it, and it comes in a generic bottle rather than the original square bottle with silver trim. I have an old bottle, so I don't know if it's been reformulated. I hope they never discontinue this.
08th September, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
Opening with a dark green woodsy note, a touch boozy and lashed heavily with galbanum and brightened up a touch by a mandarin/lemony citrus note. Later on a slightly resinous myrrh impression is added. Very pleasant.

In the heart notes a nice, green jasmine note develops, which, at times, has a herbal undertone. The base adds a mossy note, and the myrrh undertone is still present thoughout this stage; this myrrh, however, never really claims a central rôle in this composition as it does, for instance, in Myrrhe Ardente.

I get moderate sillage, good projection, and seven hours if longevity on my skin.

An agreeable green-citrus-woodsy autumn chypre nlended well whist maintaing good structure. The quality of the ingredients is very respectable. 3.25/5.
23rd January, 2017
Don't really know why this would'nt be sold as Unisex.
It's one of the Dark Green Galbanum vegetal bombs that's anchored with Moss Vetiver Oakmoss. A Peachy Citrus top has an acidic sweetness that almost goes Peach Orange Crystals bright. Through the centre is a stripe of something waxy where the Thyme a little dusty resides.
This is my kind of Sports Cologne
04th June, 2016 (last edited: 13th January, 2017)
Alliage (which is apparently now called Aliage, minus one L) is a perfect example of one of those filthy green 70's chypres that combine a lot of really unlikeable smells into something charismatic and somehow beautiful. At it's core, it's a chypre, so there's that green bergamot/galbanum/moss skeleton. The stars of the show are an upfront vinegar smell and jasmine fused with clove. It's sort of leathery as well, in that oily green chypre way, and there's a large slug of poopy civet in there, too. As the flowery clove and vinegar fade, a dusty sandalwood takes its place adorning the greens and the scent ends with a typical mossy chypre base.

Somehow, these vinegar/flower dirty chypres seem to smell fantastic on me - I find them quite masculine, though it's worth a warning that this is a bit of a challenging perfume. It's wonderful in its own filthy vinegar and poop kind of way, but I don't think this is going to be much of a crowd-pleaser. My only real criticism is that the concentration feels weak, like an EDT at best, leaving everything feeling unnecessarily quiet after a couple of hours. I would have enjoyed having the sandalwood/moss combination that comes in later be much more prominent, but I guess that's to be expected with the lower price point. That being said, I really like Alliage, so definitely still a thumbs up.
06th November, 2015
I made a point of tracking this down on a holiday to New York 2012, as it is almost unobtainable in the UK now. Purchased blind, as no tester available. I love this scent but it is just way too strong. Sillage about 1000 yards. I really have to be going outdoors to wear this, not one for the office. I still have half the bottle, which is a testament to how rarely it feels appropriate to wear a belter like this.
22nd June, 2015
Estee Lauder's tribute to the scent of chrysanthemums in her creation of a sports scent for women, the first of that scent type.

Quite masculine in its chypre construction, it influenced the creation of Cartier's Must. It is a very green chypre with a tarragon note. Pleasant but undistinguished to my olfactory senses.

Its success, according to Roja Dove, was "short-lived."

Turin calls it a "powdery green" scent and gave it four stars. He notes that Lauder used a "ton" of galbanum to "make an anisic rose-and-vetiver fragrance feel dry and powdery.

Barbara Herman notes its "fresh and citrusy, with a forest backdrop of resiny pine, thyme, oak moss and vetiver.

Top notes: Galbanum, Peach, Citrus Oils
Heart notes: Jasmine, Rosewood, Thyme, Pine
Base notes: Vetiver, Myrrh, Musk, Oakum's
29th October, 2014

Add your review of Alliage

Shop for Alliage products online

Shop for Alliage at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Alliage

Member images of Alliage

There are no member images of Alliage yet. Why not be the first?