Private Collection (1973)

Year of Launch1973

HouseEstée Lauder
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Private Collection

Private Collection is a feminine perfume by Estée Lauder. The scent was launched in 1973

Private Collection fragrance notes

Reviews of Private Collection

Gorgeous. This is one of those weird macho green 70's chypres that smell very masculine by today's standards, and it's definitely one of my favorites.

In terms of smells, it's grassy and green, but balanced with fresh citrus, while spicy cloves and kitchen herbs mix with vinegar to keep it warm and a little abrasive. There's a heavy helping of gold musk, so it's simultaneously very soapy and vaguely animalic. It's also a chypre, so there's that core of green mossy dankness that makes it feel especially classic. The end result of all this is a smell reminiscent of expensive pine-scented old-fashioned French soap with citrus and the smell of a freshly mowed lawn on top.

Let's be honest: Private Collection is probably something most people will have to grow into. Its abrasive beauty is dated and, if it were a woman, she'd be referred to somewhat rudely as "handsome." But if you've mastered Yatagan and Kouros and see the glory in Eau De Campagne, you should really smell Private Collection. Oh, and because it's Estee Lauder, it's everywhere and it's cheap! Pro tip: you'll likely have to ask to smell it - most Estee Lauder counters have a tester but don't leave it out.
06th October, 2016
Of late, I've been dabbling with the "Bitter Greens" Feminine. Tasting all the usual suspects and enjoying the flavours immensely.
Then I meet up with this gem.
Crushing Green, Green Bitters from the Stem of Iris all the way down to the deep depths and essence of Freshly Cut grass.
It's like having your head forcibly shoved into a mulch of the plant and grasses and held to suffocate in it's bitter beauty. Excruciatingly Brutal and yet incredibly Erotic.
Over time the brutality subsides and what blooms is a buttery Savon.
Frightening, Sexy and gloriously Severe.
Cool Icy Beauty. Determinedly Unisex.
19th June, 2016 (last edited: 20th June, 2016)
Private Collection was my signature fragrance throughout the 1980s. I stopped wearing parfum for about twenty-five years, but recently, I have experienced a Renaissance in parfum, and one of the first I purchased was Private Collection. This is one of the most delicious, enticing, voluptuous, sexy, ELEGANT, and strong (think character) scents that I have ever smelt. I love it!! I read that it was Grace Kelly's favourite; I can certainly understand why!

I cannot wear most Estee Lauder scents (they literally make me ill), but Private Collection is definitely the exception! Wearing it to bed tonight and am sure to have very sweet dreams indeed! I cannot imagine how anyone could not be immediately and totally seduced by this parfum!!

Fragrance: 10/10
Projection: 10/10
Sillage: 10/10
Longevity: 8/10
17th April, 2016
Loro Show all reviews
I adore this.

It paints a picture - high-end American suburb in the 60s, glamorous woman awaiting her husband's return. She's in the kitchen, cocktail dress and heels, freshly showered and soapy clean, door ajar and a light breeze bringing in the scent of freshly mown grass and mimosa. Lingering in the kitchen is the aroma of baking, not sweet but buttery and warm. Something with almonds.

I have not the faintest idea why the notes listed above should combine to conjour this image (although no doubt I've been influenced many years of Estée Lauder marketing campaigns) but they do and it's fabulous. And there IS an underlying warmth that throws the greenness into relief and adds body and depth.

Longevity is decent at 5-6 hours, and the first two hours are sublime.
27th October, 2015
Jule Show all reviews
One of my all time favorite fragrances. Absolutely captivating with each and every application, for it's both uplifting and fresh yet richly deep and alluring. I adore this scent's complexity and pure elegance and how it compliments my moods throughout the day.
30th May, 2015
Yes. This is the good stuff.
It's funny how perfume can be such a head scratcher... nah uh. No.
Well, go on with your bad self!
P.S. I won't talk about 'notes' because they are all there. In the bottle.
Everybody tries to play catch up and Private Collection drop kicks them to the curb.
Need I say more?