White Linen (1978)

HouseEstée Lauder
PerfumerSophia Grojsman
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About White Linen

White Linen is a feminine perfume by Estée Lauder. The scent was launched in 1978 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Sophia Grojsman

White Linen fragrance notes

Reviews of White Linen

rbaker Show all reviews
A freshish florally immersed aldehydic blast greet me with a bright "hello"! Associated with a pear-peachy fruitiness, a few early floral components soon develop: a soft ylang-ylang with a nice muguet impression - both smooth and both are pleasantly sweet.

The second phase completes the shift towards the floral: lilac and rose initially, later on also the aromas if orchids and a light jasmin. All these are nothing extraordinary, and quite agreeably executed.

The base brings another turn: a honeyed vanilla cinnamon sweetness pick up where the ylang-ylang left, with woodsy-ambery undertones providing a good counterbalance to the sweeter spots.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and nine hours of longevity on my skin.

This is a pleasant spring day scent, although no match to the others of the triad is was released with. Some ingredients are well made, some are a tad too generic, but it is blended quite well and shows considerable variability throughout its development - this prevents too much boredom in this somewhat lighthearted and predictable composition. Given its performance is solid, this pushes it - just - across the line into positive territory. 3/5.
16th May, 2017
I hate this with a passion. Just terrible. Last good on skin and decent silage but yucky smell.
20th August, 2016
Oviatt Show all reviews
When Estee Lauder launched this it was part of a fragrance trilogy--wear them alone or layer them. Of the three (Celadon, Pavillion and White Linen), this is the only one to survive and what a shame, because I always thought that it was the worst of the lot. Screechy sharp laundry detergent smell amplified by an overdose of aldehydes, this reinforced that Estee Lauder was good at putting out over the top screamers. Sophia Grojsman found her perfect match with Lauder--they both go to eleven. The notion of a collection of light, ephemeral summery mix and match fragrances was ahead of its time--Ellena has been doing this with greater success at Hermes in the last few years with his Hermessence line. A pity that the name White Linen (great for a man's or a woman's scent) has been used up on this scrubber.
25th January, 2016
When I hear the words "old lady," "staid," "crisp," and "clean" applied to this scent, I just scratch my head. To my nose, it's a sexy woody floral with just the right smack of greens in the middle to give it guts, and just the right amount of civet-ey/saliva/cat pee at the end to give it rawrrrrr. I imagine it as the kind of scent one of Helmut Newton's Teutonic blondes with the mile long legs and disdainful smirk would wear as she struts her stuff along the Croisette in a plunged-to-there maillot and big ol' cat eye glasses.
03rd June, 2015
This is one of those perfumes I can no longer wear; my body chemistry's changed over the past five years. However, it is a very crisp, clean, poised fragrance. No, it's not what you'd want to wear if you were going out clubbing, but it is what you'd want to wear if you want to be clean and classy and understated. It's the perfume version of the simple but flattering summer dress.

What I find amusing is that I used to wear it in my 20's and it wasn't at all an old lady fragrance to me. It just smells clean and bright. I have no problem with this.
21st December, 2014
I find it interesting that this is referred to as an 'old-lady' fragrance, and 'not sexy'. I started wearing WL when I graduated from nursing school, about 30 years ago. Let me tell you, the medical interns, and residents trailed along after me, telling me how much they loved this fragrance.
18th November, 2014

Add your review of White Linen

Shop for White Linen products online

Shop for White Linen at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for White Linen

Member images of White Linen

There are no member images of White Linen yet. Why not be the first?