Beautiful (1985)

HouseEstée Lauder
PerfumerSophia Grojsman
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Beautiful

The fragrance of a thousand flowers

Beautiful fragrance notes

Reviews of Beautiful

rbaker Show all reviews
This is a review of the vintage perfum:
The opening is a sensory explosion of an extraordinary potpourri: marigold, a pleasant rose and a delightful lily; all intensive and very rich, creamy and sweet. Soon a lovely tuberose adds added opulence and completes a gorgeous symphony of olfactory delights. This tuberose is neither too heavy nor too waxy, is gives the whose a luxuriant character.

The drydown sees a shift towards more white florals, with a creamy ylang-ylang competing with the top notes in richness, whilst an intense likely-of-the-valley aroma is the dominant heart note on my skin; it is accompanied by an orange flower that blends in very well.

Transiently fresher moment occur, contributed to by an orangey undertone as well as aldehydic components that give it a nigh-Chanel-No.5-feel at times.

The base turns woodsy, but reminiscence of the marigold, the rose and the orange flower linger on and combine with the sandalwood very harmoniously. There is a slightly powdery feel to it, especially in the second half of it’s development.

I get strong sillage, splendid projection and a sensational longevity of fifteen hours on my skin.

This is a floral beauty: a spring evening creation that is rich, opulent but also elegant at the same time. Maybe a little too sticky at times, but this is mainly at the beginning. Very much full-on, it is unashamedly floral, soft, voluptuous, luxurious, but not devoid of elegance. Indubitably one of Estée Lauder's best. 4/5.
16th July, 2017
To anyone who disses Estee Lauder perfumes, I say bollocks. Beautiful is my proof that this house knows how to make stunners--and make them available at prices that should make you look twice. I admit that I'm as guilty as the next perfume snob of overlooking this stuff. I remember those 1980s ads with Paulina Porizkova in the wedding veil; and I remember young, cynical me thinking that I didn't want anything to do with that kind of ad agency "romance." It's ridiculous--90s me would have loved this stuff. I'm still kicking myself, thinking of the vintage parfum I missed out on.

Although I believe Beautiful is technically a "floral bouquet," it reads as a Complicated Rose perfumes, in the same neighborhood, if not exactly the same address, as YSL Paris (a great favorite of 90s me, by the way). All Beautiful's lily/muguet/ylang/jasmine notes seem to contribute toward, and accentuate, a full-bodied rose decked out with all the trimmings. Even tuberose and orange blossom, divas that they are, get pressed into service, adding texture and carnality to the rose at the center, instead of calling attention to themselves--quite a balancing act, and exactly stuff of which great classical perfume is made.

The opening borders on harsh; no doubt EL aldehydes can really rattle your teeth. But once it simmers down a little, Beautiful works as a perfume that's both well-behaved and sexy. The rosiness exudes a sense of slightly damp freshness for hours, gradually calming down until it gives off a slightly powdered quality. The celery-like note of vetiver adds a bit of crispness to the mix. I smell next to no sandalwood in my relatively contemporary bottle. I bet true vintage has it in spades.

I can't think of a time of year that you can't wear Beautiful, but I prefer it in early summer, when we have just enough heat to enhance its buttery, tropical heart. It's dressy enough for special occasions, but ladylike enough for everyday use. The next time you're near an Estee Lauder counter, check it out; Beautiful gives you a gorgeous excuse to stop and smell the rose(s).

07th June, 2017
It's so hard to judge a perfume outside of it's cultural position. This certainly brings back lot of images and memories from the 80's.

I don't know how to describe it. Consulting the notes listed above, I can detect the sandalwood & jasmine.

It's pretty, but distinctive in way I'm not sure about.

I would not purchase this perfume.

If someone gave me a bottle, I would use it and try to decide if I like it.
28th April, 2017
Another old tuberose monster brought to heel by changing times, tastes, and restrictions. It is still good, and richer than most florals of today, but I kind of liked the bawdiness of the original, which stopped just shy of becoming a terror the likes of Knowing (which strangely came afterward). In any case it's quite the impressive bouquet.
07th February, 2017
Maragold is unique. Green, strong floral. I'd have guessed it was an 80s fragrance, it's that style. Nice.
05th November, 2016
I love this perfume so much. It's my Signature scent. It isn't the beautiful of the 80's or 90's been changed almost to a different scent but still smells good just wish it was the beautiful of the 90's again that was when Beautiful EDP was at it's best. Good staying power I don't find it overly strong AT ALL. Good staying power with 8 sprays I get all day and I can smell the dry down for days after. I love very clean smells and this works good on me. It is quite weaker than it use to be but still a good scent for anyone who likes florals don't get spicy nor fruity notes just floral notes. :)
20th August, 2016

Add your review of Beautiful

Shop for Beautiful products online

Shop for Beautiful at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Beautiful