Beautiful (1985)

HouseEstée Lauder
PerfumerSophia Grojsman
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Beautiful

The fragrance of a thousand flowers

Beautiful fragrance notes

Reviews of Beautiful

To anyone who disses Estee Lauder perfumes, I say bollocks. Beautiful is my proof that this house knows how to make stunners--and make them available at prices that should make you look twice. I admit that I'm as guilty as the next perfume snob of overlooking this stuff. I remember those 1980s ads with Paulina Porizkova in the wedding veil; and I remember young, cynical me thinking that I didn't want anything to do with that kind of ad agency "romance." It's ridiculous--90s me would have loved this stuff. I'm still kicking myself, thinking of the vintage parfum I missed out on.

Although I believe Beautiful is technically a "floral bouquet," it reads as a Complicated Rose perfumes, in the same neighborhood, if not exactly the same address, as YSL Paris (a great favorite of 90s me, by the way). All Beautiful's lily/muguet/ylang/jasmine notes seem to contribute toward, and accentuate, a full-bodied rose decked out with all the trimmings. Even tuberose and orange blossom, divas that they are, get pressed into service, adding texture and carnality to the rose at the center, instead of calling attention to themselves--quite a balancing act, and exactly stuff of which great classical perfume is made.

The opening borders on harsh; no doubt EL aldehydes can really rattle your teeth. But once it simmers down a little, Beautiful works as a perfume that's both well-behaved and sexy. The rosiness exudes a sense of slightly damp freshness for hours, gradually calming down until it gives off a slightly powdered quality. The celery-like note of vetiver adds a bit of crispness to the mix. I smell next to no sandalwood in my relatively contemporary bottle. I bet true vintage has it in spades.

I can't think of a time of year that you can't wear Beautiful, but I prefer it in early summer, when we have just enough heat to enhance its buttery, tropical heart. It's dressy enough for special occasions, but ladylike enough for everyday use. The next time you're near an Estee Lauder counter, check it out; Beautiful gives you a gorgeous excuse to stop and smell the rose(s).

07th June, 2017
It's so hard to judge a perfume outside of it's cultural position. This certainly brings back lot of images and memories from the 80's.

I don't know how to describe it. Consulting the notes listed above, I can detect the sandalwood & jasmine.

It's pretty, but distinctive in way I'm not sure about.

I would not purchase this perfume.

If someone gave me a bottle, I would use it and try to decide if I like it.
28th April, 2017
Another old tuberose monster brought to heel by changing times, tastes, and restrictions. It is still good, and richer than most florals of today, but I kind of liked the bawdiness of the original, which stopped just shy of becoming a terror the likes of Knowing (which strangely came afterward). In any case it's quite the impressive bouquet.
07th February, 2017
Maragold is unique. Green, strong floral. I'd have guessed it was an 80s fragrance, it's that style. Nice.
05th November, 2016
I love this perfume so much. It's my Signature scent. It isn't the beautiful of the 80's or 90's been changed almost to a different scent but still smells good just wish it was the beautiful of the 90's again that was when Beautiful EDP was at it's best. Good staying power I don't find it overly strong AT ALL. Good staying power with 8 sprays I get all day and I can smell the dry down for days after. I love very clean smells and this works good on me. It is quite weaker than it use to be but still a good scent for anyone who likes florals don't get spicy nor fruity notes just floral notes. :)
20th August, 2016
A real surprise for me as I usually have neutral responses to Estee Lauder scents. I find them nice, likable, but in no way outstanding, or bad. Just middle of the road.

I read Turin's four star review of praise and his dubbing it a "classic rose," so was prepared to find this only so-so. I was wrong.

This is a classic floral chypre, the blend of the flowers so balanced that it is hard for me to pick any of them out. The classic chypre base has that mossy caramelized sugar quality that I love in the classics of this genre. There is also a note that reminds me of celery seed. Surprising there is no moss in this according to the profile on this page. Extemely well done.

To be fair, my spouse doesn't like it at all. He found it to begin as a decent but murky chypre, then fade to a weak floral, and end as unpleasant powder over sweat. To each his own.
10th October, 2015

Add your review of Beautiful

Shop for Beautiful products online

Shop for Beautiful at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Beautiful