Spellbound (1991)

HouseEstée Lauder
PerfumerSophia Grojsman
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Spellbound

Spellbound is a feminine perfume by Estée Lauder. The scent was launched in 1991 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Sophia Grojsman

Reviews of Spellbound

In the same vein as the old-school Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt (but more balanced and dry) Estee Lauder SpellBound is a fruity-floral oriental chypre centered over a combination of heady apricot (really warm and lush in its association with orange and balsams), orange blossoms, nectar, indolic powdery floral notes and woody amber (which appears luxuriously combined with fruity floral elements and light spices in order to exude a glorious "poisonous" dreamy wake). Romantic and vaguely fairy as a enchanted little imaginary silvan universe populated by secret funny creatures of the forest. The central characterizing accord is represented in my humble opinion by aldehydes, a whiff of bergamot, orange/apricot, a touch of heliotrope, sweet spices, floral pollen, ylang-ylang, a touch of honey and amber. This dreamy accord (enriched by a minimal touch of civet providing a stale flowerpot water-like undertone, in my opinion) provides a sort of magic dreamy-fantastic starry "pollution" with a retro (a bit parisian old attic type) and fairy background and a touch of yumminess. I find SpellBound such a mysterious and elusive concoction as a white Fairy with Turquoise Hair. Unfortunately I smell the references to a synthetic vibe many talk about. For an eccentric and dreamer silent young contemporary women.
26th September, 2014
No offense to the forces of evil, but no self-respecting sorceress of my acquaintance would invoke this over the top sugary-flower curse.

Perhaps they'd sent it to a rival as a gift if they're all out of poisoned apples.

What is this anyway? Opium mixed with Pink Sugar?

Weird . . .
04th September, 2014
I love this and have just recently started wearing it again it does seem to have longevity for me and gets some nice compliments
09th May, 2014
This is not the nastiest fragrance I have ever encountered, but something about it smells medicinal. I should know, a co-worker douses herself in this, and it is so strong I have to turn my fan around to blow it down the hallway. Ladies, please, use a light hand with this as it is quite voluminous.
03rd September, 2012
Spellbound has managed to transcend past the boundaries of being too much. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd call something too floral or too complex, however that day has come.

It's not repulsive, but it's not something that I can smell for more than a few seconds without feeling a headache coming on.

Some love this fragrance for its spicy and powdery carnation note, however I much prefer Billet Doux by Fragonard for my spicy carnation fix.

In a way I find this fragrance far too aggressive, particularly with the sweetness which smells like golden syrup smoothering a bunch of loud flowers. Don't get me wrong, I love big, bold scents. Classics like Must de Cartier, Arpege, Youth-Dew and Miss Dior are right up my alley. However, I get the opinion that Spellbound is trying too hard to be a big, bold floral scent, reminiscent of the florals from the 80's.

I have tried for the last few hours to find something about this fragrance that I like, but I am failing miserably. Perhaps I could say that the lasting power is impressive, and the sillage quite powerful.

If I had to pin-point exactly what it is that turns me off this fragrance, I'd probably blame the peach and apricot notes. It's the same nauseating, syrupy peachiness that I experienced in another powerhouse, Tresor by Lancome.

Regardless of my dislike for this fragrance, I have seen many buying this fragrance over Estee Lauder counters in recent years. I don't dispute that there are lovers of Spellbound out there. I just hope that they wear this fragrance sparingly.
24th March, 2012
Since the reformulation of my beloved Opium, I have been searching for a new signature fragrance. I am still looking, but Spellbound is certainly in the running. Richly oriental with great lasting power, the edt is wonderful, I would love to get ahold of the edp.
16th January, 2012

Add your review of Spellbound

Shop for Spellbound products online

Shop for Spellbound at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Spellbound

Member images of Spellbound

There are no member images of Spellbound yet. Why not be the first?