Kiku (1969)

Parent CompanyPallinghurst Resources

About Kiku

Kiku is a feminine perfume by Fabergé. The scent was launched in 1969

Reviews of Kiku

Tourmaline's excellent review sums up this fragrance nicely. Citrus-assisted, but not citrus-centric, this scent was a unique blend of cozy and cheerful.
Sunny, slightly spicy and honeyed.

Maybe someday, designers will release interesting, distinctive 'fumes, but until then, I feel no shame in ordering vintages (or "tribute" special orders) of discontinued designer/drugstore fragrances.

The nostalgia factor? Yep, it's there. How could it not be? (I used to sneak a few sprinkles from my mom's "tennis ball" powder when we cleaned the house every Saturday of my childhood, with Elvis blasting away on the stereo. Made a dull chore fun! To this day, I put on music and perfume to clean . . .).

But I'm open to making new memories with new scents-- that is, when they decide to release something memorable!
09th May, 2017
I have recently discovered Kiku and what a unique beauty it is. Kiku means chrysanthemum in Japanese and the bright yellow of the packaging is meant to invoke the sun, summertime, and golden flowers. Judging by all the mistaken mentions of some commenters online talking about Kiku as a citrus fragrance, a lot of people seem to think the yellow packaging was meant to be "lemony," like so many other lemon fragrances from the late 60s and 70s. But it wasn't, although it did contain a subtle citrus note.

Kiku is an aldehydic floriental and it's a rather light scent, meant to translate a meditative, woody, Japanese sensibility to a Western buying public. Although rather linear, I will attempt a breakdown of the scent. It begins with a beautiful aldehydic-citrus that is subtle; it alters and interpenetrates the floral and sweet musky-woody notes seamlessly. The sweetish floral heart of rose & gardenia is somewhat Climat-like, but in Kiku, the star of the show is really sandalwood. It's powdery, breezy, slightly spicy (maybe a tiny pinch of cinnamon), warm, and honeyed by an enveloping cloud of buttery musk. In fact, the drydown of Kiku reminds me of the smell of honey-butter. The whole effect is of sunlight, sweetness, and sandalwood.

I can't believe this fragrance is so forgotten. You don't really hear it discussed and raved about like you do so many other fragrances of this era. The British vintage lovers are always reminiscing about their Sea Jade, their Aqua Manda, and their Havoc. The Americans are always longing for their Norell, their Babe, their beloved Avon classics. You rarely hear about Kiku. Which is strange because I find it to be such a delight, although a lot of the bottles have not aged well. (I've had the best luck with the 6 oz splash bottles w/ light amber contents, but you can also buy a sample from Surrender to Chance). Faberge knew they had a special fragrance and they splurged on the formula, the packaging, and the blindingly yellow, full-color ads. It was gorgeous in every way. Lovers of similar 1960s scents like Moonwind, Climat, Calandre etc. might really enjoy this.
18th October, 2015 (last edited: 05th June, 2017)
ga97 Show all reviews
Nice fresh scent for warm weather, a little citrus, and bergamont-not sure what the other notes are.
07th December, 2007
Loved this..had in summer of 69 (probably). I looked for years for it.
I finally realized they stopped making it. It was like summer to me. Fun..clean..sunshine! I missed it more than any fragrance I ever had. Sorry it's gone. I ordered C&C I love love..sounds like it could be simular.
(flipflops and summer sun!)
10th December, 2006

Add your review of Kiku

Shop for Kiku products online

Search Amazon for Kiku

Member images of Kiku

There are no member images of Kiku yet. Why not be the first?