Fendi (original) (1985)

AvailabilityDiscontinued

HouseFendi
PackagingPierre Dinand

About Fendi (original)

Fendi (original) is a feminine perfume by Fendi. The scent was launched in 1985 and the bottle was designed by Pierre Dinand

Fendi (original) fragrance notes

Reviews of Fendi (original)

A great piece of olfactory art and one of the super giants of classicism full of refinement, exoticism and vintage enigma. Mysterious, "classist", commanding and baroque. It exudes culture and "marbles". Really "Roman" and evocative of the unparalleled roman (burgeois) class you can breath around visiting the old aristocratic buildings or just standing in front of monuments and ancient fountains. Fendi original strikes soon for its deep multifaceted soul of spices and indolic floral twists. In the same vein as Roccobarocco, Gabriela Sabatini Magnetic, Bruno Acampora Sballo, V&A First (and I would also add Chanel Coco, Ungaro Diva and Cinnabar) Fendi enchants by soon for its huge and forbidding luxuriant decadence, for its earthy rootiness, the exotic spiciness, a chypre grandeur, the floral richness, the articulation, a veritable darkness (a real darkness, a sort of sinister mystery evocative about several artistic venues of the movie "The great beauty"). The Fendi's opening is classically hesperidic, spicy intoxicating, floral melancholic and aldehydic. The distinguished "old high bourgeoisie woman" vibe is provided by a rich and "eastern" old-school central floral/fruity accord (orange blossoms, ylang-ylang, rooty orris root, violet, jasmine, carnation, rose) a la Magot over a classic semi-oriental chypre "basement" represented by woodsy resins, oakmoss, amber, probably benzoin, fur-suede and woods. Orris root, rooty patchouli, earthy vetiver, dry spices and woods provide a depth of endless spicy holiness. The utterly classy, luxuriant and almost neo-baroque trail is velvety, extremely decadent, mossy, vaguely soapy (a precious cosmetic-make up vibe), barely leathery (golden leatherwears), deeply fruity floral (a secret dry fruits touch?), slightly burnt sugar/roots veined (one of the diverse undertones indeed) and "cerebral" (the same vibe elicited on me by Acampora Sballo). I've yet received a Fendi's sample as present by a dear friend, she writes me " Happy Halloween, wear it" and yes, few juices are so darkly compelling as this superb classic. Enjoy.
24th October, 2014 (last edited: 02nd November, 2014)
Ahh, I miss Fendi. I think Coco is in the same wheelhouse, but Fendi is still the best in my opinion. ReLAUNCH please!
24th October, 2014
This came to my attention via a recent Basenotes article on the top ten discontinued fragrances for women. And of course, mention the words "discontinued" and "difficult to find" and I am off like a greyhound after a plastic bunny. After plonking down $10 for a mini on eBay, I sat back and awaited my prize with quite a bit of smugness at having secured such a rare prize. Well, turns out the only rare prize here is me, as in "prize idiot".

Fendi is basically Coco with a bit of Italian flava thrown in. It is a rich, spicy floriental with a confusing array of sweet and bitter spices, and a well-trodden sandalwood and leather base. As with Coco, everything feels very crowded in, overly rich and perfumey. Worse of all, you can totally smell the 80s on this. It smells big and lacquered, like something one of those girls in the Addicted to Love video would wear, all scary red lips, clickety clackety high heels, and slicked back hair.

Fendi is seductive alright, but putting it on is more like a terrifying statement of intent, as in "I am going to bed you tonight, young man, whether you like it or not" rather than a genuine, natural sexiness. I am sure that the women who love this see it as a romantic memento mori of what you leave your (toyboy) lover in the morning, sheets all tossed up and smeared with lipstick, expensive black underwear strewn across the floor, and all.....but all I can hear when I wear this is the slurp of naked buttock sliding off the bucket seat at the bar as a forty-something cougar in a leopard print mini skirt lurches towards a group of terrified but horny teenage boys in the corner. I say this not to mock, but to convey the sense of anxiety that wearing Fendi gives me - anxiety that I could some day BE this woman if I ever leave my husband and have to enter the dating scene again. The thought terrifies the bejesus out of me, and so does Fendi.

12th August, 2014
Loro Show all reviews
Why oh why did they discontinue this?!

Warm, spicy ginger and mulled wine - a good, old school, BIG winter fragrance, which exudes confidence and class. I'm eking the final inch out of my bottle from the late 80s... sigh.
10th January, 2014
A distinctive fragrance, a compelling fragrance, an artificial concoction which induces headaches if over used. I cannot sense anything organic in this lovely, sexy composition and, inevitably, it causes me a sinus headache. Still, it's lovely until unless I discover I've run out of aspirin.
19th March, 2013
Fendi was my signature scent through most of the 80's and 90's
it is no longer being produced (the original scent for women)
people are selling old bottles on ebay ...don't bother.
do this:
buy aromatics elixer by clinique
buy tea rose by perfumers workshop
over lay the two scents gently on your skin..less of the tea rose that the AE
you will be amazed and pleased that this will nearly be identicle to the Fendi you loved...try it.
also do it soon because I am hearing rumors that clinique will soon discontinue AE.
04th March, 2013

Add your review of Fendi (original)

Shop for Fendi (original) products online

Search Amazon for Fendi (original)

Member images of Fendi (original)

There are no member images of Fendi (original) yet. Why not be the first?