Hope (1952)

Average Rating:

Hope information

Hope is a women's fragrance by Frances Denney. The scent was launched in 1952

Reviews of Hope

Showing 1 to of 5 reviews.
    positive 5 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative No Negative Reviews

Artemsia's avatar

I first smelled Hope on one of Balanchine's corps ballerinas in the late 80's, a glamorous 21 year-old who was, at that time, sleeping with my lover's best friend. Hope was her signature scent, and it literally made me swoon. Monster sillage. I could smell it in a crowded room, in a party an hour after she'd left it; a scent shadow. It was eau de "Bad Ballerina", sexy and dangerous, floral and musky, strong enough to mask the ashy reek of cigarettes that ballerinas in the 80's smoked by the carton in lieu of food. Hope clung to every Stage Door Johnny she touched, pissed on every fire-hydrant in her path. So tantalizing and bad-ass I wanted to wear it myself, but the scent was identified with her so completely I would've seemed a poor wannabe.

No surprise when I started smelling it on my lover.

He's long-gone, but I have Hope now in my perfume rotation. Nothing subtle about it, but it's there on those long nights when I want to wrap my toe-show around someone's neck and wreak some grievous bodily harm of my own.

15 April, 2013 (Last Edited: 30th April, 2013)

lindasue's avatar

I read the review of vintage Hope and remembered how much I adored it! It was an amazing lovely fragrance - nothing compared! A soft oriental that I compare to nothing else. Learning that Frances Denney had a website I ordered a new bottle and the body lotion. While I was disappointed with the lotion, the beautiful perfumed cologne did not disappoint. I am as enchanted with it's soft elegance today as I was so many years ago. It is an underexposed treasure of a perfume. It is a timeless classsic proving as perfect for this mature woman as it was for that young woman so many years ago.

01st October, 2011 (Last Edited: 28 October, 2011)

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

This review is for vintage Hope.

If have to say so myself, even as a young girl of 12 I had the heart of a perfumista. The first scent of my own that my mother gave me was Frances Denney's HOPE. I loved it and even though I was only a pre-teen, when I first smelled Hope I had that feeling of déjà vu or being transported to some other time, even though I had not yet lived enough life to have experienced any other time or place. As years passed I became more interested in the bottles that perfumes came in than the perfumes themselves, but I still chose "signature scents" along my journey to adulthood that seemed to serve as a kind of budding perfumista rites of passage. After I moved on from Hope there was Bakir, then YSL’s Opium, then Habanita. By then I was in my late teens.

However, even with all of the wonderful fragrances I experienced over the years, Hope was always in the back of my mind, haunting me. I would often think back to the time when, as a young girl I stood on the slate steps in front of my house watching the sun set. I had just applied a bit of Hope to my neck and had caught a whiff of it in the warm, late evening breeze. As years passed I would remember that moment and the sweet floral/Oriental richness of Hope. I often wondered if I ever got the chance to smell it again, would it be as wonderful as I remembered it to be.

Curiosity got the best of me, so last week I searched Ebay for vintage Hope, not wanting to risk being disappointed by one of the many new and possibly reformulated-to-death bottles available all over the internet. What I found was a vintage bottle with a completely glass stopper that contained what remained of ½ an ounce of Hope pure parfum that was dark as tea. Apparently, no one else was interested, so I bid and won. I received the bottle a couple of days later. As I unwrapped it from its 2 inch thick cocoon of bubble and Saran wrap, I could faintly smell it and my heart started pounding as I thought of how I was finally holding the smell of my childhood (and the seed of my perfume obsession) in my hands at the age of 51. When I finally reached the bottle and opened it, I swooned. Hope was better than I remembered and I suddenly realized that I had come full circle because every perfume that I have adored in these many years of perfume collecting (Shalimar, Vol de Nuit, L’Heure Bleue, and many more) was influenced by that first perfume experience.

10th January, 2010

Yumm's avatar

Yumm! It does make my nose itch, though. (Allergies) The bath oil smells the best, and I use it as perfume. It's richer smelling on the skin. Truly, Yumm. There once was a perfume called "Lost Horizon". Hope reminds me of that.

14 May, 2009

VintageVogue's avatar

I wore Hope for a few years in the '80s and loved it, then put it aside. Recently I discovered the Frances Denney web site and ordered a .25oz bottle of the Hope parfum. Am I ever pleased. What a beauty. It starts out as a classic aldehydic floral, but the drydown is what makes Hope a real winner. The geranium settles in with the base notes and becomes dark and clove/carnation-like, a deeply attractive skin liquor. After an hour or two, Hope becomes a perfect bouquet of classic flowers balanced on a dark, sensually spicy backdrop. Notes include jasmin, Bulgarian rose, Algerian geranium, allspice berries (Pimenta dioica) and other spices. In many ways, Hope is like a tamer version of Caron's Coup de Fouet, which is also on my favorites list. I'm delighted that Hope once again has a prominent place in my fragrance repertoire after a 20+ year absence.

21st June, 2006

Add your review of Hope

Search for on eBay United States

HOPE PERFUMED COLOGNE SPRAY 2 OZ. FRANCES DENNEY ~ used 75% full.
    • Time Left: 15 days
    • Time Left: 9 days
    Hope Perfumed Cologne Spray 4.0 Oz. By Frances Denney
    • Time Left: 23 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Vintage Frances Denney HOPE 4 oz Cologne LARGE Bottle Perfume SPRAY Free Ship!
    • Time Left: 1 day
    (Shipping from United States)
    HOPE PERFUMED COLOGNE SPRAY 2 OZ. FRANCES DENNEY ~ BRAND NEW!
    • Listing Type: Auction
    Hope Beauty Bath Frances Denney Perfume Dry Skin Oil Treatment 1 Oz Vintage
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 20 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Hope by Frances Denney Perfumed Cologne Spray 4.0 Oz.
    • Time Left: 6 days