L'Interdit (original) (1957)

HouseGivenchy
PerfumerFrancis Fabron
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About L'Interdit (original)

L'Interdit (original) is a feminine perfume by Givenchy. The scent was launched in 1957 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Francis Fabron

Reviews of L'Interdit (original)

Spending an evening sniffing a vintage vial of L'Interdit dating from the early to mid-eighties, I caught myself thinking, "This is so good it's stupid."
Not the best verbiage for a review, but honest.
In this I smell the traceable root of the sandalwood/plum of Nicole Miller and the strawberry floral of Perry Woman, each another decade after this sample was made.
L'Interdit is (in this incarnation) to smell what suede is to touch, and it balances richness with restraint most beautifully. There is a burst of luscious aldehydes and berries at the fore , the former departing shortly after application, the latter remaining for most of its duration. There is a lactonic peach melding with the famously banana-like ylang ylang and a superb impression of lily-of-the-valley. And then the real stars emerge - the rose and sandalwood, a hazy, soft, out-of-focus duo so beautifully interwoven one wonders why they weren't made apparent from the start.
I had this sample lying around for years, and I had even tried it but never thought of it afterward. I am so impressed by this composition I have to give the reformulation another visit (I was rather harsh). I enjoyed wearing this so much I immediately bought a mini online for further 'study.'

This is a soft, suave, simple fragrance that isn't likely to floor many people but if you want a close fragrance that sings constant praise in an alto voice of supreme quality I would sooner recommend few others.

31st May, 2014
Lovely floral aldehyde. Warmer, softer, and sweeter than the "big" aldehyde (Chanel no5), it's also more durable. Best in early spring and early fall, it's a soft and delightful fragrance with a distinct fruit note (orange/peach/strawberry).
01st November, 2013
This is so subtle, it's practically a non-scent. Despite splashing more and more liberal amounts, I smell nothing. This from a vintage sample, so perhaps it did not retain its strength over time.
Despite 18 ingredients involving fruits, florals and woods/musk, according to Nigel Groom in his perfume anthology, nothing evolves.

Perhaps this simply interacted well with dear Audrey's skin and personal oils. Sad it does not with me. She is my favorite star and I did so want to have an idea as to what it was like to have her waft by.
28th July, 2011
Eliza Show all reviews
This is beautiful . Bought a little bottle on ebay a few years ago, which was one of my first perfumes as I started collecting. It's strong, yet airy, like a soprano voice hitting a high c in singing. This little bottle was only only 5.00 on Ebay when I bought it. Wish all my finds were like that! It's an oil. When I first got it, I kept smelling lots of urine ... now 3 yrs later I don't smell the urine. I fits me totally because it's so feminine and that's what I want to be.
08th March, 2010
This review is for a very vintage version of the pure parfum. I have to agree with tvlampboy, this is classic and restrained in that Chanel No 5 / Arpege kind of way. While it doesn't seem to transcend it's time in perfume history as well as Chanel No. 5 does, it's still very nice and sophisticated. I can see why it would have been a favorite of someone like Audrey Hepbern. I get a lot of incense with subtle florals that eventually dry down to somthing quiet, soft and baby powdery.
03rd March, 2009
Classic, restrained, feminine scent. Not for the outrageous.
13th October, 2006

Add your review of L'Interdit (original)

Shop for L'Interdit (original) products online

Search Amazon for L'Interdit (original)

Member images of L'Interdit (original)

by Marco C