Givenchy III (1970)
    by Givenchy

Shop for Givenchy III products online

Reviews of Givenchy III

Showing 1 to 6 of 24 reviews.

reinhard5490's avatar
    reinhard5490
    Netherlands Netherlands

Masterpiece of Givenchy

The perfume opens with a strong dose of citrus and galbanum that give a slight 'green' feeling, III would quickly toned down into elegance with more floral added - but still controlled by the citrus and galbanum, which is good to hold the floral from becoming too excessive - think about mass-destruction floral; and after an hour or two, the basenotes of sandalwood and oakmoss starts to appeared and gives a little 'masculine' flavor into this III (but also gives somehow 'cosmetic' smells, almost like a lipstick), which is good since that makes me very sure that III is leaning more into unisex rather than pure feminine, and still retain a pure elegance of the old Givenchy's - which I rarely seen nowadays in mainstream perfumes. a true masterpiece that an avid collectors need at least a bottle in their collection

Pros: scent quality; projection; longevity
    Cons: very feminine"

20th October, 2013

iivanita's avatar
    iivanita
    Croatia Croatia

this is for vintage EDT

simple beauty, opens up with salty creamy soft mossy note, the same one as in Caleche vint.,little bit aldehydic too,

and turns into simple green, of natural quality scent, very unisex one , less sweet maybe then Caleche and more green, withot that Caleche iris note,
    since it is EDT only its not of great longevity to me....

12 April, 2013

vintage*red's avatar
    vintage*red

I was able to find a bottle of the original Givenchy III parfum, which I wore when it was launched and I was young! It has the elegance of the old Chanels, the quality of the old Guerlains and the quiet splendor of the old Diors. It doesn't have the youthful exuberance of the original Y (which I also wear & love) but it does share the same green brightness. It is all there...bergamot, oakmoss and patchouli, but it is so beautifully crafted that I cannot quite separate those beautiful notes! There is no substitution for oakmoss right now, but I am hoping for the day when some genius chemist comes up with something that will bring back chypres to their former greatness. I have not tried the reformulation, so I treasure the old and will have hopes for the new.

27 December, 2012

thatsmr2usir's avatar
    thatsmr2usir

Vintage Givenchy III EDT! What a beautiful fragrance this is. This is very similiar to YSL Y! It starts off with a strong burst of citrus & galbanum! No need to dread, this dries down after a while but still remains at the forefront. The heart of the fragrance is pure floral along with the citrus & galbanum still lurking around. I think those two notes keep this perfume balanced from going into HEY I AM A BIG FLORAL BOMB!

We are left with the basenotes of sandalwood, florals & oakmoss (which I do not believe is found in the modern version)along with some vetiver. It is a green fragrance to say the least! This stuff easily last 8+ hours on my skin & projects nicely for the type of fragrance that it is.

I am not the biggest chypre fan out there, but I do believe every perfume collector should have at least 1 or 2 of these in there collection. Altho marketed as a woman's fragrance, this can be unisex without any question or doubt. It should fit any atomosphere except a bar/club as I do not see this as a heavy hitter for those types of meetings.

All in all, Givenchy has done very well here. Some of their best work I think.

31st August, 2012

Alityke's avatar
    Alityke

Grown up delicious refined dry truly like a breath of the mediterannean in a Parisian Boulevard. I would give my right arm or this to be back in production in it's original formulation

03 December, 2011 (Last Edited: 18 December, 2011)

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

Given the sheer quality produced by Givenchy III, it would seem rather churlish to categorise it as being gender specific. Frankly, anything or anyone subjected to a misting of this will smell beautiful.

From the outset it is lightly aldehydic, blossom sweet and as crisply green as a freshly snapped flower stem. It does have an undercurrent of light soapiness, but it is in no way intrusive, more like the vestiges of a previous ablution. Performing consistently with balance and poise, the vintage version has the added bonus of being long-lived and projecting generously.

It’s a masterpiece, but behaves as though it were commonplace to be this good.

11th April, 2011