Amarige (1991)

PerfumerDominique Ropion
PackagingSerge Mansau
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Amarige

Amarige is a feminine perfume by Givenchy. The scent was launched in 1991 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Dominique Ropion. The bottle was designed by Serge Mansau

Amarige fragrance notes

Reviews of Amarige

This is a lovely vintage style floral but there is a lemongrass note I dislike (I find it in Ysatis and other rose fragrances as well). The violet in the opening makes it fresher (and a bit more modern and better for me) than Ysatis. The sweet plum is an original addition and the peach (I smell melon) is great as well. Good performances.
23rd November, 2018
Here I find myself buying a new bottle of Amarige just this weekend. Just one spray and I took a trip down nostalgia lane. Amarige has incredible longevity and in the summer heat doesn't overwhelm either. It reminded me of my youth in the 90's in all my grunge wear - flannels and Doc Martins.

Amirage, along with Pleasures and Casmir were the core fragrances in my late teens and early 20's and I still have a sweet spot for them.
29th June, 2018
Vintage Amarige. Not much for top notes left - some orange blossom, neroli, and rosewood. The middle and base survived fairly well. It is damp, with "greenish" flowers. The middle and base notes are seriously blended so well, it is hard for me to distinguish individual notes. Some woodiness to it. I consider this a rather sophisticated perfume. A lot like others from that time frame. It is mature and womanly. Nothing particularly stands out but, it is classic.
25th June, 2018
Nice for wearing occasionally. I like the peachy sandalwood in it. I wish I could like it more, but I doubt I will buy it again.
04th June, 2018
rbaker Show all reviews
A deep, dark opening of ripe, fruity plum and touches of raisin that soon gives way to the high-power floral onslaught: a tuberose is tuberose is tuberose. This tuberose is deep, dark, with some, but not a lot, of waxiness attached to it. A whole battery of other floral notes are needed to counteract the soaring central tuberose: a darkish rose for starters, with jasmine, orchids and carnation contributing their shares.

The second stage mellows a bit and grows sweeter, owing to to tonka and ylang-ylang, and whiffs of a light musky undertone. Towards the end touches of neroli add a slightly brighter note.

I get strong sillage, excellent projection and nine hours of longevity on my skin.

A vintage edition from about 20 years ago was richer, with the tuberose more accomplished and the ylang-ylang a bit more prominent.

A rich scent for cool spring and warm autumn evenings, this is for the tuberosophilic only. In all its headiness it still is quite balanced on me, and never cloying or overly intrusive, except, perhaps, for the first minute or so. The main drawback - and the main reason for the neutral score, is an, at times overbearing, synthetic nature of the core components. 2.75/5, but 3/5 for the vintage version.
26th March, 2017 (last edited: 11th July, 2019)
I can't hate . . .

When Amarige arrived on the scene in 1991, riding one of the last waves in the storm of powerhouse 1980s spicy florals, it was love at first sniff for me, the perfect accompaniment to both its time and mine (late 20s and single in the city)—so much so that one whiff today can send me spinning into nostalgia with the clarity and weight of the memories it evokes.

Amarige became for my girlfriends and me the scented soundtrack of our single years, and we gleefully and unapologetically left clouds of its tuberose-on-steroids sillage in our wake as we tore through our city’s dance clubs and bars. For Amarige is nothing if not the heady scent of nighttime fun and seduction. It starts off loud and proud, with a blast of everything-but-the-kitchen-sink florals, enters into a plumy/peach-jam phase within a couple hours, and by the end of the evening manages to mellow out into a slightly boozy medley of warm woods with just a hint of skank. It's a bombshell, but a completely good-natured one, the perfume equivalent of, say, Sophia Vergara. You don’t want to cut this girl down, you want to be her best friend and bounce along on her laugh-a-minute ride.

A couple years later, I met my husband, settled down, got serious about my career, bought a house, and replaced my bottle of Amarige with a discreet flacon of Issey Miyake.

But I will always own a bottle of Amarige, always love it, always defend it. Even if, all these years later, it is impossible for me to wear.
26th July, 2016

Add your review of Amarige

Shop for Amarige products online

Shop for Amarige at online perfumeries

Amarige Mariage Mini EDP By Givenchy 0.13 oz-FREE SHIPPING

miniature perfume Givency Extravagance Organza Amarige

$6.00 (1 Bid)
End Date: Wednesday Jan-29-2020 4:54:37 PST
Bid now | Add to watch list

AMARIGE by Givenchy 3.3 oz / 3.4 oz100 ml SPRAY EDT *FOR Women NEW IN BOX SEALED

End Date: Wednesday Jan-29-2020 8:13:23 PST