Extravagance D'Amarige (1998)

PerfumerMichel Girard
PackagingSerge Mansau
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Extravagance D'Amarige

Extravagance D'Amarige is a feminine perfume by Givenchy. The scent was launched in 1998 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Michel Girard. The bottle was designed by Serge Mansau

Extravagance D'Amarige fragrance notes

Reviews of Extravagance D'Amarige

I hadn't really realized it until I started to write this review, but most of my favorite perfumes are by Givenchy. Not necessarily recent concoctions (many of which, admittedly, I've never tried), but, rather, its vintages. Each of them seem custom made for my aesthetic, and even the most stately among them (Givenchy III, for instance) seems intended first and foremost to be a hell of a lot of fun to wear. They can be complex and compelling, but they are never difficult.

Extravagance d’Amarige is no exception. The name is a puzzle, because it has almost nothing in common with its namesake (other than quality construction). I’m not sure why it wasn’t just named Extravagance, period—or something else entirely, since even “Extravagance” would have been misleading.

Whereas Amarige is thick and heady, a floriental drama of operatic proportions, EdA opens with symphony of juicy citrus (lemon/orange/grapefruit) so sparkling it would be easy to initially mistake it for an eau de cologne. Eventually the perfume does expand, becoming more intricate and demonstrating that distinctive Givenchy tenacity and enveloping sillage.

The bottle that I own is an EDT from the early 2000s, whose text on the back describes it as a sparkling woody floral composed of marigold, pink pepper, and wisteria. Sparking is right, but to my nose this presents as more green than woody. The marigold, wisteria, and violet remain front and center throughout, giving EdA a sheer, tart quality that never becomes insipid. If there are fruits, they are just slightly overripe—EdA is decidedly feminine but it's not girly in that way so many fruity florals are today. And if there are any woods in the dry down they are so well blended that my nose at least cannot make them out. To me, its woodiness is more a feeling, rather than an accord.

EdA is by far the most uplifting, sunny, and wearable perfume in my collection, a no-brainer in that it always seems right for just about any occasion, while still maintaining a distinctive character.

20th September, 2016
Extravagance has really surprised me....in a good way.
On first applying I was almost overpowered by the pepper, I waited, and I was rewarded with a fabulous scent. Fresh but strong florals, particularly the marigolds, and who would have thought that nettles would be so appealing in a perfume??
I'm not sure if Extravagant is the correct description...I'd go for elegant, beautiful, luxurious and classy.
22nd March, 2012

Not very much like the original Amarige. I think it qualifies as a floral / green, and it has a bit of spice in the form of pink pepper and nettle, which give it a rather unique sparkly ambiance. The top and the middle are nicely balanced and well made. I like its base with its wood – sandalwood and cedar – and its iris... and it adds an rather unique touch of sweetness with the strawberry. For the most part it is a very good scent and charmingly feminine. But it has a soapiness that seems out of place. The soapiness is the spoiler for me, and reduces the quality of the experience. Extravagance d’Amarige has good sillage and very good longevity.
20th December, 2008
rickie Show all reviews
This smells like Vanderbilt, but its much better. Too bad they discontinued it. Booh!
01st December, 2008
Quarry Show all reviews
I like the tangy, green mandarine top note. Then it goes a mite soapy on me. I simply don't respond any department store fragrances. Give me niche or classic.
08th July, 2007
This one smells great! It's fresh and it lasts very looong on my skin. Perfect office scent. I wanted to purchase it, but I was told Givenchy discontinued the line. :(
27th September, 2006

Add your review of Extravagance D'Amarige

Shop for Extravagance D'Amarige products online

Shop for Extravagance D'Amarige at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Extravagance D'Amarige

Member images of Extravagance D'Amarige

There are no member images of Extravagance D'Amarige yet. Why not be the first?