Gucci No. 3 (1985)

HouseGucci
PackagingPeter Schmidt
Parent Company at launchMuelhens > Scannon

About Gucci No. 3

Gucci No. 3 is a feminine perfume by Gucci. The scent was launched in 1985 and the bottle was designed by Peter Schmidt

Gucci No. 3 fragrance notes

Reviews of Gucci No. 3

I find this to be a beautiful perfume, a perfect blend of floral, green notes and oak moss. I love chypre perfumes. To me they are elegant and sophisticated. Like Private Collection and Knowing wearing Gucci 3 is a walk along the river in the Fall. Moist leaves cover the ground. Willows, ferns and moss emit their special fragrance. It's earthy, it's clean, it's real and it's lovely.
19th August, 2018
rbaker Show all reviews
A fresh-floral blast, consisting of aldehyde/drenched green notions with bergamot, jasmine and a gorgeous muguet, captivate me is its brightish beauty, just delicious. After the first opening blast starts wearing off, a gently spicy coriander adds depth and a touch of counterbalance ltonthe floral-aldehyde onslaught of the beginning.

The drydown adds a host of other floral participants, with a lovely, slightly sombre-ish rose, and a darker, velvety tuberose that lacks any significant waxiness or heaviness. While the floral side is represented by a lovely narcissus, this is mixed with a pleasantly contrasting orris impression, which actually starts to arise in the second half of the top notes, but which now truly makes its mark.

The base adds minimally sweetish leathery impression, with hints of a soft mossy undertone and a good brushstroke of amber applied to the whole combination.

The perfomance is impressive indeed, with moderate sillage, excellent projection and a magnificent thirteen hours of longevity on my skin.

This gorgeous scent for warmer spring days or cooler summer climes is a real beauty - a balanced and rather classic concept, beautifully blended of high-quality ingredients and performing very well.
Whilst the base is less vivid and a bit less enticing than the top and heart notes, this is without doubt the epitome of a great floral chypre, and indubitably one of Gucci's finest floral-centred creations. 3.75/5.
16th April, 2017
I can't quite bring myself to love this one, but my queasiness has more to do with my feelings towards green chypres than Gucci No. 3 itself. It's funny, but when I started off my perfume journey, before I truly knew my own taste, I thought that green chypres and icy green florals were my thing. It's funny, the presumptions you make about your own taste. Anyway, several (expensive) bottles of vintage green chypres later, including Gucci No. 3, I have come to realize that I have to physically brace myself before putting them on. Almost like I have to steel my girders for the green froideur and general up-tight-edness that I know is coming my way. I find no love in green chypres, sorry.

Now, rose chypres, I do love. I find the pairing of rose, moss, and patchouli to be rather sensual, not to mention infinite in their arranging within the chypre genre. But Gucci No. 3 is far more of a green chypre to me than a rose chypre. I can identify the rose in the heart notes, but it's about as much the star player in this as the rose in Chanel No. 19 EDT. The opening is all hissy green and fingernails-on-the-blackboard, which actually brings it quite close in feel to the poisonous nail polish remover sting of Chanel No. 19 EDT. Gucci No. 3 is at once more herbal and aromatic, though, thanks to coriander seeds. The heart is very soft, however, and is a more sensual mix of rose, tuberose, lily-of-the-valley, and earthy narcissus. There is a gentle, almost powdery pink rose at the core, which, once you spot it you will never miss again. I find the rose and narcissus mixture to be quite close in feel to the heart of Chamade (although Chamade has an oily, yellow-green feel). The drydown, to me at least, is all about the leather and oakmoss, with that slightly saline feel of real moss. Sillage and longevity are about equivalent to Givenchy III, another green chypre, which is to say, relatively weak - about four hours and then it drops to a mere whisper on the skin.

What I miss in Gucci No. 3 is human sensuality and warmth. I know that this is too much to ask of a green chypre normally, but, hey, this is Gucci and I was expecting some Italian warmth and good cheer. It is rather austere, in fact. I had read somewhere that Gucci re-tooled the template for Gucci No. 3 and came up with a nineties equivalent in L'Arte di Gucci, but to my nose, these scents are worlds apart. L'Arte is truly about the rose, and is darkly sensual - sexual almost. Gucci No. 3 seems not at all like L'Arte's mother, but rather its rather spinsterish maiden aunt. I am giving this a neutral, though, because Gucci No. 3 is very well-made, but it just so happens not to be my personal cup of tea. For those of you who like the vintage No. 19 EDT, Chamade, even Givenchy III, you will probably adore Gucci No. 3 (if you can still find it at an affordable price).
19th September, 2014
My top top fragrance from my college time and by far the best smell I have ever tried in my life. It's Italian. It's warm. So incredibly classy, but unpretentious at the same time. What do you wear, that's what you hear! Too bad Gucci stopped the production of this great perfume.
27th February, 2013
I had a boyfriend who bought me this in the 1990s, along with the wonderful shower gel. It was a wonderful greenish, slightly sharp, very fresh fragrance which did not smell floral, fruity, or sweet on me. This was a fragrance for grownups and it is a shame it has been discontinued, as to me it was a very classic fragrance. I even loved the packaging and the bottle was gorgeous.
03rd September, 2012
Just acquired a fresh bottle of the of the EDT. Smells indescribably beautiful; sort of a rose chypre with a note of leather. The parfum was too strong; this is just right. Wears well
28th August, 2012

Gucci No 3 Sample Eau de Parfum Partial Bottle

End Date: Sunday Feb-17-2019 21:27:34 PST
Buy It Now for only: $14.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

GUCCI GUILTY pour homme By GUCCI MEN EDT COLOGNE 1.0 OZ 30 ML almost full no box

$19.99 (0 Bids)