Envy (1997)

PerfumerMaurice Roucel
PackagingTom Ford
Parent Company at launchWella > Cosmopolitan Cosmetics

About Envy

Envy is a feminine perfume by Gucci. The scent was launched in 1997 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Maurice Roucel. The bottle was designed by Tom Ford

Envy fragrance notes

Reviews of Envy

I was given a big bottle of this for Christmas several years ago, and initially I really liked it, but after a while, for some reason, it started to irritate me. So I shoved it to the back of my perfume collection and havenít touched it for a couple of years. I hauled it out yesterday and dusted it off. Itís still pretty, but itís very white-flowery on me Ė I donít get any pineapple or rose or sandalwood or pretty much any of the other notes. And I think Iíve figured out why it irritated me Ė a) the white flowers take over after half an hour or so, b) it barely lasted four hours and c) what was left took on a rather sharp, almost-but-not-quite sour green edge. Iím going to try layering it with something else to see what happens, as the first half hour of this is rather lovely. If anybody has any suggestions, Iíd be happy to try them.
25th September, 2016
Oviatt Show all reviews
This sweet, soft green floral is from 1997 but if you changed the '97 to '79, it would totally make sense. This throwback to the 70s, that Tom Ford does so well, should be evident from the first glimpse of his spare, chrome-capped bottle. The big floral notes--Hyacinth and Muguet--could easily take the bit between their teeth and make a run for it, but in Roucel's hands they are so well blended and harmonious that they are real team players. Does it smell a bit like expensive shampoo? Absolutely. Imagine a woman who has just stepped out of the shower at a first class hotel, say, the George V. In 1979. She wraps herself in a luxurious white robe while she ponders what to wear that night (does she wear the Castelbajac or the Sonia Rykiel? Her Maud Frizon snakeskin sandals or the gold leather Charles Jourdan pumps?). Before the makeup, before she lights her first cigarette of the evening, before she pours herself a Dubonnet and before she douses herself with Calandre, she smells like this--fresh, floral, clean.....
23rd January, 2016
I like Envy. I like it because it is unambitious yet different from the modern climes. It is an almost entirely floral composition, in a throwback way which somehow casts an unassailable aura around the wearer, like a vampiric woman whose creation and heart are rooted in the 40's, and who walks the Earth unchanged, unmoved. I also like that it is like an echo, growing smaller and more distant, as hour by hour the bittersweet petals are stripped away, layer after layer, until all that is left is a cool and pleasant iris, like the core of an old Guerlain.
30th December, 2015
Salutation.

I Was Absolutely Delighted with the ENVY For Men Because It was a Great Classic with a Distinctive Scent However Female Version is not as Great as Male Version for me But I Love Everything that comes out of GUCCI So This one is Not Exception Too. Floral, Urban,Refreshing,Interesting,Graceful, Modern,Subtle and Elegant.

It is a Nice Soft Fragrance with a touch Young.The Top notes Encompass a Fruity Melody of Pineapple,Peach and Bergamot as I found it quite Green and Inspiring.The Floral Aspects of ENVY are a whispered compliment to the Elegant Femininity.The base notes is Soft and Clean.

ENVY is for a Tender and Refined Femininity.The bottle is not very Artistic Like many other perfumes by GUCCI.It is Nice for SPRINGTIME and for a Modern Character.Great for EVERYDAY Use and In my opinion It is Romance Enough to Wear INTIMATE Occasion.

Sillage?Nice.

Longevity?Above Average on my skin.

23rd April, 2015
This is a nice sweet green floral that to my nose combines an apple note with a muguet note, though oddly apple is not listed as an ingredient.

Barbara Herman finds this a tart green rose with a powdery anise dry down. My nose does not relate to any of those impressions. On me it is a pleasant green fruity floral, no better or worse than any of the dozens of other perfumes I have experienced in that category. It is definitely a young smell - I can see it working perfectly on a young, vibrant woman in her twenties.

Herman also comes up with lots more notes than on this Basenotes page: galbanum, coriander, anise, celery, violet leaf, rose, cumin.

Turin describes it simply as a "green floral" but gives it 5 stars. A bit overboard in my estimation.

Ultimately, a nice fruity floral, tart and joyful - the scent arising from an apple or pear one has just crunched into.
30th June, 2014
Genre: Green Floral

Envy is a massive sweet green floral scent with abundant sillage and powerful projection. Itís quick to fill a room, but the essential bitterness of its green notes keeps it from becoming crude or cloying. In other words, itís a fine example of Maurice Roucel in his expansive mood Ė the same one in which he composed Insolence and Musc Ravageur.

Envyís floral notes include bold jasmine and orange blossom which bear a hefty load of fleshy indoles. These give Envy a decadent, lascivious undertone that balances out itís clean, green attributes. The tension between Envyís green and animalic faces makes wearing it an enthralling experience. I find myself waiting expectantly for one of the two sides to take over and throw the balance, but the suspense does not subside until the entire composition retreats into its relatively simple, pastel green, coumarin-tinged drydown. An altogether pleasant scent, and one Iím comfortable wearing (in small doses) as a man.
13th June, 2014

Add your review of Envy

Shop for Envy products online

Shop for Envy at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Envy

Member images of Envy

There are no member images of Envy yet. Why not be the first?